• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tiny rant on Marlin customer service

Nocalphoenix

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2008
Montana
Ok, maybe its more of a checking in to see if my irritation is warranted. My Xt-22 is shooting extremely well, turning in great accuracy and meeting my needs for a basic .22 bolt gun. Yesterday I started to have really rough bolt manipulation when striping a round out of the magazine along with the occasional misfeed. Turns out the plastic tabs on the back of the magazine guide have snapped where the pin goes through, causing the back of the magazine to dip which easily explained the problem.

I know I have heavily modified the rifle (bolt knob, bedding, barrel chop etc) and I understand if I wanted the factory to correct a problem that I had caused I would he shit out of luck. Well at first they would not send me the part at all, saying it was a controlled item and I would have to pay shipping both ways to a service center. I finally convince him to send me the part and I was ignorantly thinking they would be sending it for free since it broke within a couple months of owning the gun. Turns out unless a gun goes through the warranty station (on your dime for shipping) they will not send out any parts under warranty service. $20 later I have a plastic part coming in a few weeks.

Is this par for the course? I guess I expected them to send me a free part with minimum fuss but I guess I was wrong.

Re: Tiny rant on Marlin customer service

That's the way it is, and should be. You screwed up and damaged your rifle trying to futz with it, and you have to pay for that.

The $19 profit margin you gave Marlin on that little rifle doesn't cover any free sh!t.

Go buy a $2000 overpriced "sniper precision 3-shot group super gun" and you can get free plastic tabs for life. And waste some CS rep's time for hours, and have some guy in a warehouse package and mail you something. Because you already overpaid several hundred dollars to cover all that.

But when you buy the bare bones $180-240 plinker, you're getting your money's worth, but $180 doesn't go that d@mn far.

KS, for clarity I did not screw up and damage the rifle trying to futz with it, I am more than happy to pay for my errors. The part is plastic and extremely thin and probably cost them well under a dollar each. The part was broken within a few months and it is secured in the stock and protected from damage, looks like it is a failure waiting to happen. I expect plastic parts on a low price point rifle but I guess I expected them to ship a new one when it did break.

Marlin quality seems to have dropped off in recent years. That said, unless the part is specifically covered under a warranty, you cannot expect them to give you stuff for free.

yes i can see your guys point, however if he did something to the magazine or the apparatus around it, i'd say "too bad" too.

but from what i get whatever was modified had nothing to do with it.

i think he got sanduskied.

180.00 bucks with a warranty is still 180.00 bucks WITH A WARRANTY. shouldn't have to pay anything.

i know alot of manufacturers are saying you have to pay for shipping, BUT if it's a POS on their part, they should back it up and spring for shipping too.

worse part is having to ship the rifle to a warranty center. W/O rifle, more shipping + insurance cost. it should be broought back to a marlin DEALER, whom can make a determination if the part was messed with and authorize a free part, or prescribe a local smith that will put it in.

whether 180.00 or 1800.00, that's how you do good business if attaching a warranty to it.

Thanks for the opinions guys, I guess I have been spoiled by companies like Ruger that will make it right when something breaks under normal wear and tear. I guess I would like to think that a couple hundred rounds of plinking would not be seen as abusing something.

Overall still very satisfied with the rifle and will be buying two more, my step daughter is hooked and wants one of her own as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
180.00 bucks with a warranty is still 180.00 bucks WITH A WARRANTY. shouldn't have to pay anything.

whether 180.00 or 1800.00, that's how you do good business if attaching a warranty to it. </div></div>

Let me know when you open a company that sells and guarantees a product, you won't last a week.

On that $180 rifle, the gun store got $25, distributor cost on a Marlin XT22 is $155 and change. Then the distributor got a cut and Marlin had to ship to the warehouse, so Marlin probably ended up with $130 or so in their pocket for the rifle.

If you provide warranty repair AND give free shipping (a $30 cost) on a $130 item, you're getting fired right then and there by any company that is interested in staying in business.

My one experience with Marlin has been just the opposite. I tried to give my 60c a trigger job (first gun, first try at "gunsmithing") well it stopped cycling, firing, everything. It was fucked. I needed a new side plate for the action (dremel got away from me), some pins and c-clips that I had lost in the disassemble/screw up/assemble process. I called, talked to a guy I swore was in the mob and ordered my parts. When the package arrived I had a complete action and the parts I paid for. I double checked my receipt and debt card. I only paid for the side plat pins and clips.

Marlin made a customer for life.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> it should be broought back to a marlin DEALER, whom can make a determination if the part was messed with and authorize a free part </div></div>

You think all the little gun store pee-ons around the country should be able to call up and tell Marlin when they need to ship out free stuff?

Another retarded opinion from someone obviously outside the industry.

My camera is having problems, so rather than mail it to the Kodak warranty repair center, Billy Bob down at Radio Shack will just call them and authorize a free replacement zoom lens assembly. I'm sure Kodak will go along with that. I spray painted the camera purple and put a custom lens cap and shutter button on, but that doesn't mean I futz'd with the motor linkage. Warranty is still good as long as I don't have to ship it back to Kodak.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the opinions guys, I guess I have been spoiled by companies like Ruger that will make it right when something breaks under normal wear and tear. </div></div>

You let me know when Ruger starts giving away free parts. That's the day I'll call up about the several hundred Rugers I broke.

Then a nice company like Ruger will say, "No, it's ok, we don't actually need to see it and verify your damage claim, we'll just mail you the parts. Oh by the way, we'll even pay the shipping."

Idiots...

Wow, my experience with their customer service was just the opposite. My xt had to be returned for poor performance. After speaking to their rep I had a pre-paid shipping label emailed to me within the hour. The rifle went to Ilion, NY for evaluation where they determined a replacement was warranted. I did have to wait a couple weeks for the current production batch before my replacement was shipped, but nothing excessive.

Sounds like you had a jerk in customer service that doesn't understand that satisfying a customer over a small item goes a long way to keeping a customer around for a long time and repeated purchases in the future. Poor service leads to loss of future sales and profits as well as a domino effect of negative discussion when that customer discusses his/her negative experiance with their friends.

To the OP the same piece broke on mine, I didn't even call Marlin, did a little digging and found Midway has them for 10.99 so now I'm just waiting on it to get here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

whether 180.00 or 1800.00, that's how you do good business if attaching a warranty to it. </div></div>

Let me know when you open a company that sells and guarantees a product, you won't last a week.

On that $180 rifle, the gun store got $25, distributor cost on a Marlin XT22 is $155 and change. Then the distributor got a cut and Marlin had to ship to the warehouse, so Marlin probably ended up with $130 or so in their pocket for the rifle.

If you provide warranty repair AND give free shipping (a $30 cost) on a $130 item, you're getting fired right then and there by any company that is interested in staying in business. </div></div>

Vortex Optics must be about to fold up any minute then...

Well Ruger rebuilt a PC4 carbine for free and paid shipping both ways after it ate a couple thousand rounds and was not 100% reliable anymore. They also sent me parts for a Bisley .45LC after the timing was slightly off and starting to shave lead, again after thousands of rounds.

For what it is worth the CS rep was not a jerk, just going through the motions. In some respects I was happy he was able to bypass the issue of making me ship the gun for a repair.

Thanks for the info Ben, did not even think of Midway as carrying the part.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like you had a jerk in customer service that doesn't understand that satisfying a customer over a small item goes a long way to keeping a customer around for a long time and repeated purchases in the future. Poor service leads to loss of future sales and profits as well as a domino effect of negative discussion when that customer discusses his/her negative experiance with their friends. </div></div>

Bingo.

In Marlin's quest to save $2, they now have this thread out there on the Internet. Not only does it highlight some questionable CS, it also contains references to a broken part that at least two users have experienced. Will this thread help or hinder sales of Marlin products?

I had a part break on a Lee turret press. A quick phone call to Lee and I had three replacements on the way, free of charge, no questions asked. I continue to purchase and be satisfied with Lee products.

I purchased a Spike's Tactical ST-22 upper. A few months later, I get a small package in the mail with a new guide rod and a note stating they changed the design of the part. I didn't request it or even know about it. I continue to purchase and be satisfied with Spike's Tactical products.

Oddly enough (as a previous poster alluded to) I'm in the camera biz.
One point not brought up, that we run into all the time are all the 'warranty' repairs we receive where the customer has claimed that it just stopped working...WTF. We open up the camera and it is filled inside with saltwater corrosion...meaning he dumped it in the ocean.
Now this is just one example...and I'm not saying the original poster did anything wrong. But this is why companies just don't go offering free replacement willy-nilly. From my experience with Marlin (I have two of their rifles) I'd say there is still the likelihood of once the offending part is sent in, and if they do determine that it is no fault of the owners they will make him happy.
But replace everything for free sight unseen...as someone else mentioned that company will soon be out of business.
The only companies that have that kind of warranty are the ones selling cheap chinese crap (when they sell you something for $20 that costs them less than a buck to make they can replace all the broken ones)...or the companies selling extremely high end stuff with a lot of profit margin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Go buy a $2000 overpriced "sniper precision 3-shot group super gun" and you can get free plastic tabs for life.</div></div>

At least, until Vortex starts making guns
wink.gif
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XxMerlinxX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

If you provide warranty repair AND give free shipping (a $30 cost) on a $130 item, you're getting fired right then and there by any company that is interested in staying in business. </div></div>

Vortex Optics must be about to fold up any minute then... </div></div>

how much money do you think Vortex turns on scopes? people are all hyped about their FFP pst. fine. except the SFP is half the cost. you cant tell me the workers in the Philippines are working that much harder on a FFP scope. we get taken to the cleaners on optics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twitch2120</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XxMerlinxX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

how much money do you think Vortex turns on scopes? people are all hyped about their FFP pst. fine. except the SFP is half the cost. you cant tell me the workers in the Philippines are working that much harder on a FFP scope. we get taken to the cleaners on optics. </div></div>

Bad example? Ok, how about Hornady or Dillon? Both of those companies will ship you whatever reloading part you want, sight unseen, at their expense.

As for the camera guy who thinks returning a camera that's been dunked in the ocean and asking for a $2 plastic part is the same, well, it's not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XxMerlinxX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Top Predator is Vortex Optics?

Excellent, I'm gonna pick up one of those cheap Vortex $69.95 scopes, that Vortex probably made like $10 off of, and see how many free replacement parts I get for it.

no, i am not.

just an american that if i had an american company would stand by my word if i have a warranty attached to my products.

there's this thing called the internet these days that a little bit of either bad or good press spreads like wildfire.

i'd eat a little profit now to make sure the profit is there tomorrow.

it's called having integrity.

kswift, you've been a dick this whole post, that's not my retarded opinion as you so elequently put it.

if you actually read the op, you'll see that he didn't "futz" as you put it with the magazine or surrounding area.

you too are entitled to an opinion, but at the very least be intelligent and base it on some sort of fact.

i'm done with you and will not get into a pissing match with moronica.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XxMerlinxX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Top Predator is Vortex Optics?

Excellent, I'm gonna pick up one of those cheap Vortex $69.95 scopes, that Vortex probably made like $10 off of, and see how many free replacement parts I get for it. </div></div>

You won't have to get replacement parts for it, Vortex will pay for you to ship the scope back and pay to ship you a brand new scope, in record time no less. Likewise, Hornady and Dillon will ship you whatever parts you need sight unseen on their dime, but I bet they're about to close up shop too...

Don't worry, I don't actually expect you to admit you're wrong.

I'm not sure where I sit on the CS debate, that is whether or not you should be charged. I do know I don't like policies that simply state you can't order this part for the gun any longer or you must be an FFL.

I think if I were you and have the replacement part in hand I'd be visiting the local machine shop. I'd get two of those puppies made up in steel or aluminum.

Well my last two dealings with Marlin were different. Over fifteen years ago I sent my Marlin Model 60 in for service. It was at least five years old. It stopped shooting at the range. The trigger would not reset. I field stripped it and when I took the trigger group out a spring went flying. I mailed it back and had the gun returned shortly. There was no charge for return shipping and the gun was fixed and cleaned nicely. It was dirty when I sent it in. Keep in mind when I boughtbthisngun it was less than a hundred bucks at KMart. I bet they only sold it to them for fifty bucks. Not much profit. But I was very happy and have been singing their praise for close to twenty years.

Second return to Marlin was my 1894PG in .44 magnum. It was a used gun and "letting two" and jam up to the point I needed to use a pen to push the second round, jammed in the loading gate area, back into the tube magazine. It was fixed and returned on their dime. That was close to ten years ago.

That's odd...My experience with Marlin CS was completely different.
Back in January I had my XT-22 apart for stock work and inadvertently snapped off the mag release and the mag guide fractured as yours did.
I called Marlin to order the parts, and the lady I spoke with sent me the mag release, mag guide, and assembly pins-free of charge. This was even after I told her the damage was my fault.
I guess it depends on who you get when you call. It did 5 weeks to arrive, so I have no problem with Marlin other than time.