• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tippmann bolt catch spring

nikonNUT

The harbinger of... making things not work anymore
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 6, 2019
    Gunlandia
    Evening guys,
    So I had the chance to buy a old (I think? 4 digit S/N) Tippmann M4-22 Elite from a youngster that works at my LGS for $200.00 so I jumped on it! He is one hell of a shooter but maintainence is NOT his thing so there are a few small issues that need addressed. I have fixed the first aka the safety didn't work. Easy enough and resolved. The second I am addressing now and has me scratching my head. The bolt catch wasn't working as expected and even when manually setting it (pushing in on the bottom of the catch with the bolt back) it is very sketchy. Just extending or retracting the butt stock will drop the bolt so... I drifted the pin out, pulled the spring, and re-assembled. With said spring removed it works perfectly other than I can see the entire catch rotate forward a bit when the bolt hits it. I am betting that he lost the "right" spring and cut something down and stuck it in. I wanted to ask if anyone knows if the spring is a Tippmann specific spring or if I can rob one out of one my lower parts kit? Thanks for the help. I should know more about this but I don't.

Sounds odd. My first thought isn't the spring, but maybe the pin in holding the bolt release in place isn't seated on both ends?

Edit add: or maybe the pin is bent?

Last edited:
    Reactions: nikonNUT
    I'm still thinking the roll pin holding the bolt release is the problem. Maybe it's deformed from being "slapped"? It is just a roll pin if I remember correctly. I haven't assembled a Tippmann, but I have put a few ARs together...the lowers are very similar.

Sounds odd. My first thought isn't the spring, but maybe the pin in holding the bolt release in place isn't seated on both ends?

Edit add: or maybe the pin is bent?
    Perhaps. I have a roll pin that specs out correctly and I will swap that out. I may just grab new everything a'la new roll pin, new spring, and a new bolt catch latch so I have everything at 100%. Seems like cheap insurance.

Reactions: ZG47A and Cowpokey
    Most parts in a Tippmann lower are a direct swap with AR parts; except aftermarket triggers, some of those are compatible, some aren't.
    I have a M4-22, and this was always my understanding. The Tippmann product is allegedly "mil-spec", so common parts are supposed to interchange.

Reactions: nikonNUT