• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Tips For Asking Advice About Rifle Scopes

I am in possession of two nightforce scopes. 1 is 3.5-15x50 NXS sfp with moar reticle. The other is 5.5-22x50 NXS same reticle. They were recommended by a long range comp shooter who runs a bussiness selling high end optics, firearms etc to all high end buyers. That is his buy line. That was 2011. I had no idea at that time what I was doing. My end goal was/is the 1000 yard shot just like that 93 year old vet made on a news story I watched. I explained that to the guy. Two occasions two scopes same guy. My FNH SPR A5 was the same rifle he competed with. I have read hide members call that a fudd scope for the poors. At the front of this thread I am reading the difference between MOA and MIL. I am left with the impression that it is possible to hit that mark with these two scopes. Currently the 3.5 rests atop an RPR 223 wylde with 20" bbl, in no way would that make a 1000 yd shot. The RPR is probably a 400 to 600 yd gun under the right circumstances. Right? The question is pointed at the SPR. If I am wrong my next question is do I see if I can change those reticles out for MIL. Or upgrade hide membership for access to the px and sell or trade the RPR and the fudd scopes and buy an FFP for the SPR, lick my wounds and get to the range with my hand loads and continue load development? In the spirit of this thread I hope I did this right. Thanks all in advance.
This would be better as its own separate post as this thread is part of the "sticky" threads for informational reference, not really to ask questions. But a couple quick points, I don't think anyone would consider NF a Fudd scope. The two scopes you have are SFP and MOA but certainly capable of getting you hits at distance. There is no difference between MOA and Mil based reticles, as long as your reticle and turret align, they are both angular units of measure and when used appropriately both are very capable tools.

Actually, HD means whatever the manufacturer says it means. It in no way exclusively means HIgh-Density, like that one fella said. It could very well mean anything on any model of any manufacturer.

It could mean Hollow Dick for all you know.

Muahahahahaha.
...or in my case, Humongous Dick.. hahahaha.

hello. i started out using moa, and all my scopes are moa, as well as all my dope, out to 870 yards. my calculator and kestrel are dialed in to that dope for the ammo i use. i am going to move to mils, having just bought a used scope from the px.

can i simply switch the units in my gear?

hello. i started out using moa, and all my scopes are moa, as well as all my dope, out to 870 yards. my calculator and kestrel are dialed in to that dope for the ammo i use. i am going to move to mils, having just bought a used scope from the px.

can i simply switch the units in my gear?
Yes, both are angular units of measure and both work for your solution, if it took 20 moa to get to a particular distance on a given day with atmospherics then the mrad value would be roughly 5.9 mils, just set your kestrel and calculator to moa or mils, different values but same solution.

Yes, both are angular units of measure and both work for your solution, if it took 20 moa to get to a particular distance on a given day with atmospherics then the mrad value would be roughly 5.9 mils, just set your kestrel and calculator to moa or mils, different values but same solution.
yep, that makes sense. the kestel and calculator make a model of my ammo's trajectory, so whether moa or mils its just a come up measurement. whew, thanks!

Reactions: Glassaholic
This is very helpful, thanks for the write-up. 👍🏼

I think if the scope is used for hunting it might be important to note for what quarry.... — big game and small critters have some very different requirements for reticles, FoV, magnification, etc. 😊

Matthias

This is very helpful, thanks for the write-up. 👍🏼

I think if the scope is used for hunting it might be important to note for what quarry.... — big game and small critters have some very different requirements for reticles, FoV, magnification, etc. 😊

Matthias
I agree, that's a very valid point, unfortunately the original post was a carry over from the old Scout days and is locked so I can no longer update it.

Reactions: JungleShooter
That is some great information, I downloaded it for future reference. I do have some general questions, I have some gun experience but mostly handguns. I recently retired and am taking up long distance shooting, or I hope it will qualify as long distance. To that end I have purchased a Barrett M82A1, mainly because I have a fairly large quantity of 50BMG ammo from an old purchase, then have been told to forget it because I will need match grade if I want to do anything out over 500 yards. So, I asked some friends who were in the military for scope advice and saved and saved... and saved some more to buy a Leupold Mark 5HD M5C3 Tremor. I am told that should work but that it isn't tough enough for military use, which I am fine with as I am not military (they had standards) LOL, anyway what I am looking for is any advice on where to get some training, do I need to have the scope mounted by a gun smith, I have heard the 50 will cause it to move around if you don't. and do I need match grade ammo to get started? The ammo I have is military production. some red tip, silver tip and just plain. Thanks for any help.

That is some great information, I downloaded it for future reference. I do have some general questions, I have some gun experience but mostly handguns. I recently retired and am taking up long distance shooting, or I hope it will qualify as long distance. To that end I have purchased a Barrett M82A1, mainly because I have a fairly large quantity of 50BMG ammo from an old purchase, then have been told to forget it because I will need match grade if I want to do anything out over 500 yards. So, I asked some friends who were in the military for scope advice and saved and saved... and saved some more to buy a Leupold Mark 5HD M5C3 Tremor. I am told that should work but that it isn't tough enough for military use, which I am fine with as I am not military (they had standards) LOL, anyway what I am looking for is any advice on where to get some training, do I need to have the scope mounted by a gun smith, I have heard the 50 will cause it to move around if you don't. and do I need match grade ammo to get started? The ammo I have is military production. some red tip, silver tip and just plain. Thanks for any help.
This will get far more views and replies as a new thread.

Hi everyone,

I've come across a nugget of information that might be useful for people looking to understand the difference between FFP and SFP in rifle scopes. This is often a subject of confusion, especially for those new to long-range shooting or hunting. This article details the advantages of each focal plane based on use and personal preference, and may help clarify why to choose one over the other based on your specific needs.

It's always rewarding to see a community sharing its knowledge to help others. Keep up the good work!