• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Tips for corrosion removal?

N2DADARK

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2010
I'm cleaning us a rife for a buddy and it has a lot of minor outcropings of rust. I've delt with it before with a light scratching with a brass pick but nothing to this magnitude. The rifles not a collector or anything, I would like to stop the buildup before pitting gets worse. Any tips for this?

Re: Tips for corrosion removal?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kirk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Depending on finish, light duty 0000 steel wool works good. </div></div>

I would try this with some light oil. Maybe use heavier steel wool if necessary.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: N2DADARK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm cleaning us a rife for a buddy and it has a lot of minor outcropings of rust. I've delt with it before with a light scratching with a brass pick but nothing to this magnitude. The rifles not a collector or anything, I would like to stop the buildup before pitting gets worse. Any tips for this? </div></div>

Knock what you can off with the edge of a penny. The penny shouldn't remove the good remaining blue. Use bore cleaner to remove the copper.

You could also boil it to stabilize the oxide... rust blue the spots.

Brownell's sells a cold blue solution called "Oxpho". It removes rust and simultaneously blues the steel with a phosphating coat. I use it with 0000 steel wool...put a ounce or so of the Oxpho in a plastic cup and add 1/4th ounce of denatured alcohol...that helps th4e Oxpho cut any oil on the surface and act on the rust. Dip the pad (about thumb size) into the solution and rub to your hearts content. The pad will get smaller as you work. Keep at it until it looks as good as you want. Wash it off after the solution drys on the metal, and oil it.

Oxpho sounds like good stuff for this purpose.
Seems to be a rust converter (converts rust-iron oxide- to iron tannate) with a blueing agent.