• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tips for creating a custom rifle through APR?

Kotes19

Private
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2023
United States
I’ve been looking into making a custom rifle for some long range steel plinking. I’ve heard a lot of good about Alamo Precision and their rifles, but I have no clue what to expect or what questions I should be ready to answer when I call them…

For example, one of my dream builds would be a .338 lapua, preferably with a defiance ruckus action, bertlein barrel, a good trigger like a triggertech diamond or others similar, and any chassis that is sturdy and fits the previously mentioned parts.

Would that be all the info they need and they can fill in the rest, or do they need more specific statistics or parts?

Again, I am very new to both the custom side of bolt actions, and APR, so any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: The D
Why do you want or need a 338LM….

If you don’t know how to spec a custom rifle you shouldn’t ever need or want a 338.

Reactions: FisherT&C
Another vote for APR. Top notch team and excellent rifles.

With all your questions I'd suggest visiting the shop in person. I'd highly recommend getting your hands on as many stocks as possible to find what fits you best before starting a build.

Reactions: Kotes19
If your local go see Jimmy the Sales manager. Great guy and he can guide you through all the process. If not local email [email protected] and Jimmy will be the one that gets it. I cannot say enough good things about these guys, great shop and customer service.

Look at the cost of good 338 Lapua ammo and see how much "plinking" is going to cost you.
I had a similar conversation with a guy who wanted to start shooting long range and thought he needed a 7 Rem Mag.
He was very open to suggestions and an easy guy to work with and I suggested a 6.5 Creedmoor and he agreed so that's what we are doing.
He's not a loader so that was a big consideration when restricted to factory ammo, if he decides to load 6.5 CM is a cinch to load for.
I would consider something a lot smaller; 6 CM 6.5 CM, 260 Rem, even .308 Win.
The magnums have their place but it's not at the starting point in my opinion.

I’ve been looking into making a custom rifle for some long range steel plinking. I’ve heard a lot of good about Alamo Precision and their rifles, but I have no clue what to expect or what questions I should be ready to answer when I call them…

For example, one of my dream builds would be a .338 lapua, preferably with a defiance ruckus action, bertlein barrel, a good trigger like a triggertech diamond or others similar, and any chassis that is sturdy and fits the previously mentioned parts.

Would that be all the info they need and they can fill in the rest, or do they need more specific statistics or parts?

Again, I am very new to both the custom side of bolt actions, and APR, so any and all information would be greatly appreciated.
How new are you to guns in general? Before you really commit to anything you should spend some time here reading threads and asking more questions. Yes, you will get some shit for some of the questions you ask but make it clear you’re very new and give it right back.

How often are you going to shoot it? As mentioned ammo costs become the majority of the expense.

50 rounds a month of 338 at 5 bucks a trigger pull is going to be 250 a month and 3000 a year in ammo expense for the 338.
If you’ll only shoot 50 rounds a year then you’ll be paying big money for a big boom custom rifle that’s gonnna be awesome… but that you barely ever use. But it’s nice having nice things so I can’t begrudge that.

OR you could shoot a creedmoor and for the same 250 bucks a month/3k a year ammo expense get to shoot 125 rounds a month instead.

Personally I took the route of shooting 2.5x more in smaller chamberings since I’m limited to 800 at my home range and have only seen the wheels fall off once we get past 1200 yards which I rarely get the chance to do anyways.

Call them up though, they’ll ask all the questions they need to know of you.

Last edited: