• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tips for custom bolt action rifle

Famaya94

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2020
I am looking to sell my ruger rpr 308 to build a 6.5 creedmoor, any tips on stocks actions barrells etc for a beginner?

There r a bazillion combinations available now a days .all depends on what u like
Actions- impact,bighorn, arc, kelby,defiance
Barell- bartlein, Krieger, proof,hawk hill,
Stocks- manners McMillan
Chassis-mdt ,krg, mpa
Keep looking at threads you'll find way more than I listed

Reactions: rkcolt45
I am looking to sell my ruger rpr 308 to build a 6.5 creedmoor, any tips on stocks actions barrells etc for a beginner?

Yeah there's literally an infinite plus a million different possibilities. You're gonna have to be more specific other than 6.5 creedmoor.

Why not save money for a new build and debarred your rpr to 6.5cm? Krieger and other awesome barrel manufacturing companies have drop in barrels for the ruger. That would allow you to keep what you have and have something to shoot while you build your next rifle.

Reactions: Gatorshark
Why not save money for a new build and debarred your rpr to 6.5cm? Krieger and other awesome barrel manufacturing companies have drop in barrels for the ruger. That would allow you to keep what you have and have something to shoot while you build your next rifle.

Reactions: Famaya94
Go to a PRS shoot in your area, or contact some shooters that are running both chassis and conventional stocks. It's really a personal thing, what I like may not feel comfortable or fit you. Regardless, I would recommend an adjustable comb, and likely adjustable LOP unless you find one that fits you perfectly. Good deals pop up in the PX occasionally, someone just wants to try something else or gets tired of what they have. If you like the RPR and its adjustability, you may be interested in a chassis. TRY BEFORE YOU BUY...

Yeah there's literally an infinite plus a million different possibilities. You're gonna have to be more specific other than 6.5 creedmoor.
I want to build with a composite stock a action and barrel budget friend for a first custom rifle

I want to build with a composite stock a action and barrel budget friend for a first custom rifle

Keep an eye out for the deep South tactical barreled actions. They have a few different configurations available at times and they get posted for sale here. They almost always use trued up r700s but they also have custom actions. After that, you can pick whatever stock of your preference. Check out AG composites...

find yourself a reputable gunsmith known in whichever sport you plan on playing, and talk with him. (I prefer to have one near and meet face to face. don't know why, just like it that way). tell him your budget, etc. build the relationship and then save, steal, borrow and get what y'all decide on together.

I'll take a shot at your request keeping in mind that you left it WIDE open to personal interpretation.

I'd go with a Remington 700 patterned action. Far more options available for that foot print than likely all others combined. I recently built two rifles, one for my son, and the $350 KRG Bravo chassis we got for his rig is in my opinion, just as good and in some ways a little better than the $1200 Manners PRS-1 I got for my rig. You live and learn. I highly recommend the Bravo at any price point.

You didn't mention your budget. There are plenty of excellent custom actions out there. I'm running an Impact Precision 737R for the integral 20MOA rail and excellent reviews, but if I were to do it again, I might look at something with a shorter bolt throw since I get a less than optimal purchase on the bolt knob in order to clear my Leupold Mark-5HD. You can save a lot of money here by buying something like a Remington 700 SPS Tactical, pillaging it for its barreled action, and sending the result off to a good smith to have it trued.

If you'd like a better answer than this you'll have to give us an idea of what you want to use it for, the distances you're going to be shooting it, and how much you want to spend on the rifle (don't forget about base, rings, scope, bipod, rail, cleaning supplies, etc in your overall budget).

For instance, if you only have access to a 300 yard range and your goal is to build something that shoots ragged holes, then go with a short barrel (18 - 20") for the improved rigidity and accuracy. If you have access to and are intending to shoot out to 800 and beyond, then the added bullet speed you'll get with a 24 - 26" barrel will reduce time-to-target making you less susceptible to wind. Being honest with yourself (and us) about your intentions will go a long way towards you building the right tool for the job.

TL;DR - KRG Bravo, Reming 700 barreled action, give us more information.

3k budget wanting to build a rifle that can shoot longe range and be fun to shoot
Also looking to build one that I know I'll keep and shoot often

3k budget wanting to build a rifle that can shoot longe range and be fun to shoot
Also looking to build one that I know I'll keep and shoot often

What does your 3K budget include? Just the barreled action and chassis, or is that supposed to include other items? If you have absolutely nothing, you'll need at least:

stock/chassis
barrel
action
scope rail (if not included with action)
rings
scope
cleaning supplies
rear bag

Bighorn Origin or Defiance Tenacity action. Source a prefit barrel from Proof, Keystone Accuracy, Bugholes, etc. Drop in a trigger of your choice. Put it in a KRG Bravo chassis.

That would be an excellent rifle that will be a good general purpose long range shooter, and be a good entry into PRS/NRL type comps if you decide to go that route.

If you want to save a bit more money, buy a Tikka T3 and drop in KRG Bravo chassis.

What does your 3K budget include? Just the barreled action and chassis, or is that supposed to include other items? If you have absolutely nothing, you'll need at least:

stock/chassis
barrel
action
scope rail (if not included with action)
rings
scope
cleaning supplies
rear bag
I am building from scratch

Another option is the new Gap PPR rifle (I think that's what it's called) in 6mm or 6GT.

It's a pretty dang good looking rifle for the price, with some good specs. Comes in at $2500.

Reactions: 260284
My choice with your budget and wanting to shoot 1000 yards:

700 SPS Tactical. 22" heavy barrel in 6.5 creed ($550)

KRG Bravo Chassis ($350)

20 MOA Base for Remington Short Action ($60)

Magpul bipod ($100)

Burris XTR II 5-35x50 ($1,100)

MDT Premier Scope Rings ($100)

Armageddon Gear Squishy Bag ($35)

This puts you at just under $2300 with no tax, shipping, or FFL fees, which is going to eat up a lot what remains if not all of it. With anything that's left, you'd need to pick up a cheap rifle case, cleaning supplies, and any tools you don't already have to properly put the thing together (get an accurate inch-pound torque wrench, I recommend Borka).

You'll noticed I skimped on the barreled-action portion of things. This is because the barrel is a consumable anyway, so after you've put a few thousand rounds through the system (barrel life in a 6.5 creed is around 2500 rds), you can send it off to a good shop to have it rebarreled and trued/blueprinted.

If you're dying for a custom rifle and can't fathom the thought of having a stock Remington action and barrel, you should look at some of the new PRS Production-class rifles which all come in at pennies under the PRS-defined $2K limit:

Patriot Valley Arms John Hancock:

Badrock Precision Southfork:

Seekins Precision Havak Bravo:

Masterpiece Arms BA PMR Competition Rifle (that name just rolls right off the tongue):

Bergara Premier LRP:

Just keep in mind that if you go this route you're going to have very little for left over to complete the system. You'd likely have to find a scope for $400 or less which would end up being a throw-away item in the end.

Last edited:
Reactions: txguero
Another option is the new Gap PPR rifle (I think that's what it's called) in 6mm or 6GT.

It's a pretty dang good looking rifle for the price, with some good specs. Comes in at $2500.

He needs to build an entire system for $3K. $2500 on the rifle + tax, shipping, and FFL fees means all he has is a rifle.

I suggest looking around the forums for awhile. Most topics posted have already been discussed to the end several times over. Look here in the bolt action thread as well as the equipment section for ideas. Spend a week or more just reading and I promise you that you will have answers for most of your questions and even the ones you haven’t thought of yet.

Nothing wrong with your post and just flat out asking. However, with searching the forums and reading on your own you will figure out the “whys” behind each product that is suggested above which will allow you to gain even more knowledge going forward etc.

Keep an eye out for the deep South tactical barreled actions. They have a few different configurations available at times and they get posted for sale here. They almost always use trued up r700s but they also have custom actions. After that, you can pick whatever stock of your preference. Check out AG composites...
For sure take a hard look at AG Composites

Reactions: stello1001
All depends on what you want to use it for, i.e. hunting, plinking, benchrest, PRS competition. Where you want to use it, i.e. temperate fair weather, cold weather, dusty climate, mountains, What range?
If you're planning on a build you'll have to be clear what your goal is, otherwise this thing can get real expensive, real quick when you assemble parts that won't fit the bill in the end. Then you'll have to figure out what you like, i.e. stock, chassis, hybrid; push feed, controlled round feed; pinned recoil lug, integral recoil lug, ...lots to consider.
Best thing to do before you build is keep reading threads, get an idea, and see some examples of what you might like, go to the range look around and politely ask some questions, some shooters might let you handle, or even shoot their rig.
Be clear about what your budget goal is.
If you are just looking for a near custom rifle with an action by a custom action manufacturer give the Badrock Southfork with a Defiance action a try.

All depends on what you want to use it for, i.e. hunting, plinking, benchrest, PRS competition. Where you want to use it, i.e. temperate fair weather, cold weather, dusty climate, mountains, What range?
If you're planning on a build you'll have to be clear what your goal is, otherwise this thing can get real expensive, real quick when you assemble parts that won't fit the bill in the end. Then you'll have to figure out what you like, i.e. stock, chassis, hybrid; push feed, controlled round feed; pinned recoil lug, integral recoil lug, ...lots to consider.
Best thing to do before you build is keep reading threads, get an idea, and see some examples of what you might like, go to the range look around and politely ask some questions, some shooters might let you handle, or even shoot their rig.
Be clear about what your budget goal is.
If you are just looking for a near custom rifle with an action by a custom action manufacturer give the Badrock Southfork with a Defiance action a try.
I'm leaning towards going with a KRG bravo stock but I'm still figuring action and barrel

Bighorn Origin or Defiance Tenacity action. Source a prefit barrel from Proof, Keystone Accuracy, Bugholes, etc. Drop in a trigger of your choice. Put it in a KRG Bravo chassis.

That would be an excellent rifle that will be a good general purpose long range shooter, and be a good entry into PRS/NRL type comps if you decide to go that route.

If you want to save a bit more money, buy a Tikka T3 and drop in KRG Bravo chassis.
This is what I would do. Forget the Remington those cost just as much to true and make accurate as a orgin .and y get way more for your money
Side bolt release
Changeable bolt head
Pic rail included
Way smoother

I'm leaning towards going with a KRG bravo stock but I'm still figuring action and barrel
Doing one right now with a Zermatt Arms (formerly known as Bighorn Arms) TL3 SA and a PROOF Research carbon fiber barrel. KRG Bravo gives you plenty of options to customize, that's why I chose it, plus I like the feel of it and the palm swell of the grip. Depending on budget you could always go with a Zermatt Arms Origin action and a steel barrel. The prefits are easy to install.

Doing one right now with a Zermatt Arms (formerly known as Bighorn Arms) TL3 SA and a PROOF Research carbon fiber barrel. KRG Bravo gives you plenty of options to customize, that's why I chose it, plus I like the feel of it and the palm swell of the grip. Depending on budget you could always go with a Zermatt Arms Origin action and a steel barrel. The prefits are easy to install.
What bolt head would I need for 6.5

Just a little hint, send in your trigger to Zermatt Arms when they build your action, they'll time it to your cocking piece for free at that time it will make your action run very smooth, if a trigger and action are sent in later they charge $55 for it.

Ive had three customs built of my own design, sort of - they pay tribute to USMC rifles.

Two have exceeded my expectations, especially so the one I made most my design. It hasn't failed to impress the instructors at Sig and they see a lot of gear.

The third is at a different builder and jury is out as he is replacing the barrel on a warranty matter and chambering issue.

My advice take your time and decide what you want and like.

Aesthetics do matter. You will never be 100 percent happy with design you don't think visually pleasing. That said things start to look a lot better if it will put 5 rounds in one hole.

Seek examples of rifles you like. For me it was easy as my interests are drawn toward historical USMC stuff.

When you figure out what you are looking for decide what your goals are. If your "like" is all 16 inch barrel guns but you want to shoot past 1000 there may be a conflict between likes and goals.

Some may say figure goals first and they are right but if you are going custom its because you have looked at whats available and not found anything COTS that you like enough to achieve your goal. So figure out what it is you like and are unable to find commercially available.

What you like will cause real physical reactions - you will salivate or get a boner. If S&B gives you a boner but your budget only allows Bushnell Id sugest you save more. You wont be happy with your custom if its not composed of the parts you really want to achieve your goal.

Remember its your custom so don't care about others criticism if their likes are not yours - unless - your like is incompatible with your goals either engineering wise or real world experience reported by mulitiple experienced parties tell you the choice is shit.

Run from anyone that speaks to you in absolutes of what you must buy or include in your build - They are just trying to get you to build their dream custom.

I just sent parts off for custom 4 this AM. It will also pay tribute to the USMC but even less so in this case. Ill be kind of experimenting on this one. Gut instinct no great knowledge base tells me it will be crushing targets.

Just a little hint, send in your trigger to Zermatt Arms when they build your action, they'll time it to your cocking piece for free at that time it will make your action run very smooth, if a trigger and action are sent in later they charge $55 for it.
Thanks for the tip I'll do that

Reactions: SonicBurlap
Anyone happen to sell a KRG bravo stock RH Rem700 SA

He needs to build an entire system for $3K. $2500 on the rifle + tax, shipping, and FFL fees means all he has is a rifle.
Perhaps just a Savage 6.5 precision which shoots lights out already, and comes with an awesome MDT Chassis for around $1200. Then just buy an Origin and swap out rhe action. Custom performance for 2K. You can sell the Savage action for 300-500, and use that towards a good scope for $1000. Thats $2500 complete.

Perhaps just a Savage 6.5 precision which shoots lights out already, and comes with an awesome MDT Chassis for around $1200. Then just buy an Origin and swap out rhe action. Custom performance for 2K. You can sell the Savage action for 300-500, and use that towards a good scope for $1000. Thats $2500 complete.

You can't put an Origin in a Savage inlet.

You can't put an Origin in a Savage inlet.
Yeah, I just realized that after the post too. Thanks for keeping me honest buddy! Its a damn shame thats not possible though! Why is Rem700 the standard, when there are also so many Savage owners out there! Seems like a huge untapped market to me.

I just bought an NSS Criterion for my Savage 111 30-06. It shoots great, but its in the original crappy plastic stock, and the action is just factory sloppy. I long for a smooooth action, and wish someone would make a custom savage LA action to swap with.

I'd keep a close eye on the post exchange section for something you'd be interested in for less than new price.
Krg is hard to beat for the money.
Imo proof offers enough advantages to be worth any small price bump to go to their carbon barrel.
I'd look at the px though if you don't already have an exact list of wants.

I’ve had rifles built using older savage actions, Rem 700, Win 70, and Weatherby Mark V actions with cut-rifled barrels. They all shot excellent. I’d recommend a Krieger or Bartlien barrel and a McMillan stock.

What you have is not bad to start off with. I would if any thing, re-barrel what you have since the bolt face is the same between the 308 and 6.5 rounds. Preferred Barrel Blanks makes pre-fit barrels for the RPR.

@Famaya94
Do you re-load? And why do you want to sell the .308 WIN? What is your experience level? I was in your shoes three years ago and I ended up keeping the .308 WIN and building a 6.5MM Creedmoor. Why? I took classes in fundamentals of shooting, Lowlight, and the .308WIN will teach you to stay with the fundamentals if you are aiming to be a good marksman. Because the 6.5mm recoil less, we forget fundamentals and get lazy. So when I "need" remedial lessons, I go to the .308 WIN. In fact, I have become an admirer of the .308 WIN and thinking of treating myself to a nicer one.