• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Tips for first pro series 2 day match

Wild Eyes Woodworks

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2020
Shooting my first pro series match in march. I’ve shot various single day prs matches, local club matches, NRL hunters.

My question is what should I be looking for to be different about a PRS pro series 2 day compared to others? What in your opinion should I be focusing on to prepare for this match?

Thanks In advance for your input.

I would expect smaller targets, more movement between shooting positions, some 12 round stages, multiple engagements (different ranges) from each shooting position, a number of stages where you need to decide dial or reticle. In some ways, same as a good regional match maybe "harder".

It should be exactly the same as local matches and one days, assuming your local MDs have ever been to a big match. It’s just two days worth. 1.5-2 MOA targets, 90 second stages in some parts of the country, more likely 120 seconds, a mix of positional and prone-like shooting, stages that take advantage of local terrain features and props on the range, probably a “skills” stage like a timed barricade, nothing too gimmicky.

You should focus on the fundamentals, staying hydrated and fed, managing your energy, and not letting the scene get in your head. Be a good squad mate but take the time you need to be ready before you try to help. Be safe.

Think about taking a couple ibuprofen before bed day one and in the morning before day two. Fatigue is insidious and getting ahead is better than being behind.

Keeps us posted.

If the event is fairly close, and you're considering if you need to change or add something to your training on the range.....it's very possible it's too late to make a big difference in your performance. You'll likely be far better off to train the same as you always do and then take notes/see what happens at the 2day with things weren't prepared for.

This will be more productive/successful than trying to guesstimate what you should change in your training before the match. You already have a baseline, so use that and see how it goes. Versus changing things and not being sure why something went wrong, as it could just be you added something new in your training, and not the actual match.

It may also be too close to change as well, but endurance (mental and physical) is likely going to be the major difference. You'll now have to keep your shit together literally twice as long (or more) than you're used to.

The best advice I think you can get right now is:

-Make sure you're well rested. Hydrated. And not starving.
-Force yourself to drink a bottle of water every other stage at a minimum. Every stage would be even better.
-Don't change any nutrition habit the days before/of. I.E. don't grab a monster energy drink that morning if you never do. Or don't skip the caffeine if you normally do drink one or coffee, or what not.
-If out of town or more than a few hour drive, arrive a day early and decompress
-Use the "how do you eat an elephant" approach. Take it one shot at a time. Your only goal is to get past the next shot, then the stage, and then the next.

Bring plenty of ammo. Some matches shoot 12 stages or more on day 1 in order to finish ip earlier on day 2. Ask me how i know. Nothing worse than bringing ammo for 10 stages only to be shooting 12. Other than that its basically just like two 1 days back to back. If you have a bad day on day 1, shake it off. Day 2 is a whole other match

What match are you going to? I would recommend finding someone who has shot that match in the past and asking them for advice.

For example, if you are going to Clay's Cartridge I would advise that you need to have a rifle cover and be prepared to deal with the Oklahoma moon dust. Range specific information is helpful.

Thanks for the input everyone. I really appreciate it. I’m shooting the southern iowa showdown (presented by scheels) in diagonal IA. March 16-17th. Very good advice presented and I greatly appreciate it. Trying to work my way up to higher level matches and have been fortunate to have been squadded with some really knowledgeable people in the past and have Jim see putting matches together around me frequently.

Let me know if any of you are gonna be shooting this one. I’m shooting (and RO’ing) the vortex whitetail madness the following weekend in Missouri if any of you guys are down there then too.

Develop your own stage plan that fits with your experience level. If everyone else is using tripod rear or a Tac Table on a stage and you’ve never practiced with it, during the match is not the time to try and learn. One Bag it if that’s how you’re most comfortable and have practiced and are familiar.

A lot of good stuff mentioned above. I’d just add have fun. Unless you’re there to seriously compete for a top finish it’s just another match. You’ll get some hits, you’ll miss some shots. No biggie. Have fun.
Watch the better guys in your squad. Make friends and the memories will be worth way more than wherever you finish.
Be a good squad mate, help shag brass if needed, but also be ready when it’s your turn. Don’t be the guy that complains about every stage or gets mad every stage when they didn’t clean it.

Reactions: bbyars