• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tips For Getting Rounds on Target With A New Rifle / Shooter

Airik Farley

Private
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2024
US
I am new to the long-range game and planning to return to the range today. So far, I've been unable to zero my rifle due to two things: 1) My rounds aren't striking paper at 100 yards, and 2) I can't see where my rounds are striking to adjust my initial point of aim to get on paper. I think part of my issue may be that when I fire, the reticle jumps off target, and even though I continue looking down the scope through the shot, all I see is a flash of black (my head position shifts, and I lose eye relief for a fraction of a second) then my reticle will settle about 1-2 feet left of the initial point of aim. That all makes it impossible to see where the round strikes.

I have some ideas for what to work on today, but as a total newbie, I'm guessing about what corrections to make. I'd like feedback on whether I'm on the right path or if there's something else I should try. FYI, I do not have a spotter available.

Today's range agenda:

Before I start firing:
  • Do more dryfire practice; I didn't see the reticle moving during previous dryfire sessions, but more practice can't hurt.
  • Remove the bolt and look down the barrel to narrow down the impact point.
  • Use my laser boresight to further narrow down the point of impact.
While firing:
  • Ensure my NPA is on target. <-- I suspect this may be the major factor.
  • Ensure my body is aligned behind the rifle. (I have done this previously)
  • Ensure the rifle is level (I have done this previously)
  • Load the bipod (I tried to do this but did it incorrectly)
  • Attempt to create a stronger cheek weld to reduce/eliminate the flash of black in the scope.
  • I'll cover the entire target board with 1" grid paper to increase the chances of putting rounds on paper. That will give me approx. a 2'x2' target.
Things that probably aren't relevant:
  • I am shooting seated from a bench. I position myself behind the bench and rifle, I do not use the cutout on the bench as it would place me to the side of the rifle.
  • I am shooting a 6.5 Creedmoor (Hornady ELD-M 140g)
  • I am shooting a Bergara B-14 Wilderness Terrain.
  • I am using a Vortex Viper PST 5-25x50.
  • I am using 25x zoom (I am considering reducing this to increase my FOV).
  • I am using an Atlas BT10 bipod.
  • I was shooting an 8"x8" target @ 100y (which I never hit).
  • I may have found a group of rounds I placed low and right. I was unsure if they were mine because the board was dirty with holes.
  • I mounted the scope; I'm obviously not a gunsmith. I did this using a leveling kit and torqued all bolts with vibra-tight. I am confident the scope is level and correctly mounted.
  • I am not new to short-range marksmanship and have spent a lot of time with iron sights and red dots.

Last edited:
Bore sight and get on paper at 25 or 50 yards. Make adjustments until you are zeroed and then go to 50 or 100 yards. If you’re zeroed and on paper at the closer distances, you’ll be on paper at 100 and able to make the necessary adjustments to obtain a good zero.

Another option for new shooters is to put a clay target on a bank of dirt, bore sight on the clay and then and try to hit it. If you miss, the impact/splash in the dirt should be easy to see and allow for correction

Great options right there, that should do it

yep start at 25 yds and work your way out.

forget the lazer thingie. pull the bolt and look thru the barrel at your 'target.' making sure the rifle is very steady, adjust the scope until it is on that target (soda can or clay pigeon etc). confirm looking thru the barrel it's still on target.

after you pull the trigger when dry firing, the center of your scope reticle should still be on the center of the target. if not you need to work on form and fortifying your position.

wear foam ear plugs AND over the ear muffs. easy to get jumpy and flinchy with loud noises, including shooters near you.

are you using a rear bag, you should be (vs your arm or something). simple as filling a hunting sock with bb's or airsoft pellets. squeeze the bag to get your elevation then break the shot. there should be zero wobble before the shot.

yep start at 25 yds and work your way out.

forget the lazer thingie. pull the bolt and look thru the barrel at your 'target.' making sure the rifle is very steady, adjust the scope until it is on that target (soda can or clay pigeon etc). confirm looking thru the barrel it's still on target.

after you pull the trigger when dry firing, the center of your scope reticle should still be on the center of the target. if not you need to work on form and fortifying your position.

wear foam ear plugs AND over the ear muffs. easy to get jumpy and flinchy with loud noises, including shooters near you.

are you using a rear bag, you should be (vs your arm or something). simple as filling a hunting sock with bb's or airsoft pellets. squeeze the bag to get your elevation then break the shot. there should be zero wobble before the shot.
Unfortunately 25 yards isn't possible with a rifle at my gun club so 50 will have to do. I am using a rear bag, the reticle has zero wobble on target as you mentioned. I don't take the shot unless I keep the reticle wobble free through my exhale and hold.

Tonight's range visit went much better than the previous one. I could locate my hits and adjust my zero after two shots. I shot another 3-round group at 50, then a 3-round and a 5-round at 100y. Now I just need to get skills :ROFLMAO:

50 Yards after adjusting based on my first shot on paper.
df67d2de-189b-4abd-8f7b-e418c625c376.jpg

100 yards with the zero from 50 yards.
shared_image.png

100 yards with a hold based on the last 3 round group.
shared_image-1.png

Last edited:
Screw all that 25yd, boresite, other nonsense.
Get a shotgun clay. Put it on a berm at 100yds, see where first round impacts, move crosshairs to impact point. Shoot at clay again, if you don't hit it, repeat. Third shot should bust clay, move to paper for final fine tune adjustments.

What I've learned to do at the range is to take notes as I shoot. Like your shooting yardage, Ammo brand, ammo weight, HP, SP, FPS.
I've learned that my different rifles like shooting different ammo brands, type and weight.
At the range today I was trying 4 different brands and weights in my new CZ457 .22LR 20.5" synthetic rifle.
I find that taking good notes at the range allows to me to make better ammo decisions, not just buying the cheapest thing on sale.