• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tips For Shooting 1000 Yards

John B.

Private
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2020
Hi,

Tomorrow I'll be shooting at 1000 for the first time and I'd be grateful for any practical tips. I'll be shooting my 6.5 Creedmoor rifle with a 22 inch barrel 1:8 twist; Vortex Razor Gen 2 4.5-27x56 (Mil reticle and turrets) and the ammo I have are three boxes of Federal Gold Medal 130 grain OTM. I'm trying to find a ballistic chart for this ammo, but I can't seem to find any beyond 500 yards.

Best Regards,
Burnette

Go here. Input as much as you know. Most importantly, best data you have for muzzle velocity. It will give you an idea of how much to dial your scope. Work out to 1000 if you can.…500, 700, 1000. Hopefully you have largish targets against large berms. Have a spotter watch for impacts. You should watch also. There’s lots of time of flight to “recover” from recoil and intently watch for impact splash. It’s just another target. Don’t over think it.

Reactions: ATTkid and John B.
Use the info from here:

Over here:

Reducing the stated velocity ~50 fps should put you in the ballpark.
Thanks for the ballistic calculator, but I'll be honest with you I have no idea how to use it, or should I say I haven't learned some of those concepts yet haha. On a side note, should I try and file down the tips on some of my bullets? It's almost like how you have burs on the side of a bullet, but it's the tip itself that's uneven on a few; seems like that would be a problem

• Wow
Reactions: ATTkid and XP1K
Thanks for the ballistic calculator, but I'll be honest with you I have no idea how to use it, or should I say I haven't learned some of those concepts yet haha. On a side note, should I try and file down the tips on some of my bullets? It's almost like how you have burs on the side of a bullet, but it's the tip itself that's uneven on a few; seems like that would be a problem
Don’t file your bullets.

Shooting to 1k tips.
Assuming you have already zeroed your set-up:
Breath control, trigger control, positional control of firearm.
You can get SO bogged down With all the little magical things, but just do what is repeatable.
Where you put your hand on the grip, or stock. Where your finger pulls on the trigger itself. Where your cheek rests on the stock.
Do
It
The
Same
Every
Time
And
Take
Your
Time.

Keep a record, and have fun at it.
Thats it. If it's repeatable, it's improvable.

Go here. Input as much as you know. Most importantly, best data you have for muzzle velocity. It will give you an idea of how much to dial your scope. Work out to 1000 if you can.…500, 700, 1000. Hopefully you have largish targets against large berms. Have a spotter watch for impacts. You should watch also. There’s lots of time of flight to “recover” from recoil and intently watch for impact splash. It’s just another target. Don’t over think it.

I've never been to the range before, it's called "Long Range Alley Gun Club" out of Grand Cane, LA; I'm gonna stop by basspro along the way and probably pick up some targets like you speak of; thanks

You wont know the wind speed and direction till you are there. Knowing what to hold for 5-10-15 MPH etc. still has value.

Is there pit service or electronic scoring? At 1000, you won’t see anything related to your impacts on a paper target.
I'll have to see on my way there, never been; how does electronic scoring work?

You wont know the wind speed and direction till you are there. Knowing what to hold for 5-10-15 MPH etc. still has value.
I see they have those windage flags at the range. How else do you determine wind speed? I have a pair of binos, too

I'll have to see on my way there, never been; how does electronic scoring work?
A sensor on the target frame sends back a signal to the shooter that shows impact location on a screen. Otherwise, someone at the target pulls it down and marks the impact location with something big enough you can see it and then raises the target back up.

Reactions: John B.
Should about 6.8 to 7.2 mils I shot a 6.5cm 26In with 140 berger and at today's 1000 yard match it's 7.0. mils. The range elevation is about 2600 and the temp was 86. Wind was 2.5 to 4.8 mph switching left to right and back again made for an interesting match.

Reactions: ATTkid and Baron23
Here is the scoring from our match. 18 shooters. Top 6 scores.
1st 95 4X
2nd 95 2X
3rd 94 3X
4th 94 2X
5th 94 1X. My score
6th 94 0X
The the rest were 93 to 84. She was a first time shooter did well

Wind was moving right to left to right switch constantly at 2 to 5 mph
Overall a good match

Reactions: ATTkid and OREGUN