• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tips for shooting with a chassis?

TurdFerguson

thinking sucks
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2014
Burgerworld
I am struggling with my R700p +MPA ultralite. I swear the gun shot better in the H&S stock. Any recommended videos on shooting with a chassis. It has to be me, I've re torqued the action, tried another proven 700, tried different scopes, ect, its not horribly inaccurate, still under an inch but its/ I've done better.

ETA, this is my first chassis, so I assuming I am need to adjust to it.

Last edited:
Chassis do not need to be bedded. I have used AICS and MPA and JAE and they all shoot fine without bedding.

I did have an issue with the MPA and my Timney trigger getting caught in the trigger well which caused issues like you reported since it would not seat cleanly. I took a round file to the chassis to get clearance and advised MPA. You don’t have a Timney trigger do you? That said, I just don’t find the MPA as comfortable as the rest. Either issue won’t help you.

• Haha
Reactions: supercorndogs
Chassis do not need to be bedded. I have used AICS and MPA and JAE and they all shoot fine without bedding.

I did have an issue with the MPA and my Timney trigger getting caught in the trigger well which caused issues like you reported since it would not seat cleanly. I took a round file to the chassis to get clearance and advised MPA. You don’t have a Timney trigger do you? That said, I just don’t find the MPA as comfortable as the rest. Either issue won’t help you.

The assumption that chassis do not need to be bedded is incorrect. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don’t. When a chassis is made as a universal 700 pattern, it’s impossible that it will always mate up perfectly to every action.

Phil at MPA is even on record stating that they see improvements all the time when bedding their chassis. Especially on the gusseted style actions as the round actions mate up better.

The assumption that chassis do not need to be bedded is incorrect. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don’t. When a chassis is made as a universal 700 pattern, it’s impossible that it will always mate up perfectly to every action.

Phil at MPA is even on record stating that they see improvements all the time when bedding their chassis. Especially on the gusseted style actions as the round actions mate up better.
Jamie Dodson (Wolf Precision) also states that while in theory a chassis doesn't "need" to be bedded, he finds that there is typically an improvement if it is. He also says he beds all chassis rifles that he builds.

Reactions: Dthomas3523
Jamie Dodson (Wolf Precision) also states that while in theory a chassis doesn't "need" to be bedded, he finds that there is typically an improvement if it is. He also says he beds all chassis rifles that he builds.

It will never hurt. At worst, it will do nothing. As much as we spend on these rifles, it’s cheap comparatively.

You can either take the time to test and see if it needs bedding, or you can just do it and not worry with it.

That being said, most will shoot plenty good enough to win a prs style match without bedding. But that doesn’t negate a “need.”

If I accept the statement that chassis don't need bedding because they are perfect, which I have pretty much found to be true for me, I have a question.

What if the action is the one that needs the bedding because the action isn't true?

If I accept the statement that chassis don't need bedding because they are perfect, which I have pretty much found to be true for me, I have a question.

What if the action is the one that needs the bedding because the action isn't true?
Stacking.

Wonder why no one beds an AI

Stacking.

Wonder why no one beds an AI

As in a Rem 700 in AI chassis? I just can't see that a perfect chassis will correct every twisted action. Seems AI chose a different method for contact points for the action/chassis. I bet they know what they did with that.

When it comes to bedding, AI doesn't just bed its actions, I mean, AI bonds/epoxies their actions into their chassis. That's like the ultimate form of bedding...

Reactions: Tokay444
Older aics definitely benefitted from bedding tang area. The newer style ax and at aics have a raised area that supports the tang, just like gen 2 manners mini chassis. The gen 1 mini chassis and old aics left the rear tang floating and any torque on rear screw started bending action.

Are you serious?

also several chassis have a sharp junction at recoil lug pocket and bedding surface. Thats fine on actions with separate lugs. On actions with integral lugs, theres a small radius where action meets backside of lug. That can create issues on a chassis that has a sharp ledge.

As in a Rem 700 in AI chassis? I just can't see that a perfect chassis will correct every twisted action. Seems AI chose a different method for contact points for the action/chassis. I bet they know what they did with that.

When it comes to bedding, AI doesn't just bed its actions, I mean, AI bonds/epoxies their actions into their chassis. That's like the ultimate form of bedding...
I was kidding. AI in their rifles has the ultimate forn of 'bedding' its a complete system versus us and our Legos

I was kidding. AI in their rifles has the ultimate forn of 'bedding' its a complete system versus us and our Legos

Whats interesting, in the 70s, br rifles had the action glued to the stock. Apparently it worked great till the bond broke and accuracy went to crap. Obviously ai uses much better epoxy than "back in the day" br rifles. I wonder if the accuracy degradation holds true on at/ax that seperatares while its still screwed together?

Are you serious?

Serious, yes. Maybe ambiguous or confusing...

I have never needed to bed an custom 700 clone or my Savages to get below .5 moa. So, my limited experience was they didn't need it for that level. I have had McRee, MDT, XLR and APO. I don't like the fit and feel of shooting a chassis very much so have sold them all...

Vast majority of time, most of the time, seems chassis don't "need" bedding. I don't think the quality of most chassis are such that they require it. Seems like the AI design is better though based on what I hear. I don't have one...

But, I absolutely think some actions would need bedding if it is a factory action out of spec. There might be a chassis out of spec too. It could happen.

I never said it, but if I felt like it, I would bed a chassis no problem because it won't hurt the rifle system if done right. I think bedding is a perfectly appropriate step for chassis or stock. I have been reluctant to bed stuff recently, because I was always selling stuff. But, I think I have found my forever rifles and will be bedding them soon. I got off the silly merry go round buying the newest cool thing...

I see this has derailed expectedly...

OP, it’s not uncommon for people to have a harder time shooting a rifle when they’re switched from a traditional stock to a chassis. In your case, one of three things is at play..

1. The rifles inherent accuracy is unchanged, you may just not be as at home behind a chassis as you were a stock.

2. The rifles accuracy was diminished and you, while perfectly able behind a NEW platform, are seeing the result of this diminished accuracy.

3. Issue #2 but YOU are still not at home on the platform either way.

So, what to do?
-Have someone, or several others shoot the rifle. (Not your cousin skeeter, who can’t shoot his own shit well.) Someone who is at or above your level of competence.
-Check the stress of the action in the chassis by torquing it in, then loosening only the front action screw about 1 turn. Does the barrel rise in the barrel channel when you do this? Yes? It’s stressed, bed it.

If bedding is needed, I assume its like bedding a traditional stock. Devcon or Acragel? Remove paint from the bedding area? I assume I'll need to rough up the bedding surface so it will bond?

You can full length bed it, though you can get away with just bedding the rear tang. Step 1.A is establishing if it needs bedded.

Step 1.B is to see if anyone else you trust can shoot, has issues shooting it.

Note... even if it IS stressed, that doesn’t mean it WONT shoot well. Have seen plenty of MDT chassis with loads of flex/stress when torqued that still tested under 1 MOA average.

I think bedding the tang and the recoil lug would be the place to start. I think a lot of chassis and stocks don't have a great mating surface for the recoil lug to sit flush in the pocket without vibration. If there's even a tiny bit of area the recoil lug doesn't butt up against, the stress under fire goes to the action screws creating vibration. It's easy to see when rifles magically change group size switching between different stocks/chassis.

I checked for movement, when I loosened the front screw the end of the barrel shifted slightly to the right. Though my methods were "primitive" at that. I centered gun and rest, placed a piece of a cleaning rod out the end of the barrel as a needle and had it above block of wood with a ruler on it. the needle moved some, and move repeatedly to the right. Bedding be a good idea or is something else at play here?

I am struggling with my R700p +MPA ultralite. I swear the gun shot better in the H&S stock. Any recommended videos on shooting with a chassis. It has to be me, I've re torqued the action, tried another proven 700, tried different scopes, ect, its not horribly inaccurate, still under an inch but its/ I've done better.

ETA, this is my first chassis, so I assuming I am need to adjust to it.

Admittedly I can't help you with your issue, but an inch grouping is very impressive!

Bingo. Remington actions have an outer diameter that is only generally related to the bolt raceway, and they are nowhere near round in many cases. The rear tang often has the general appearance of having been leaned on a bit too heavily with a belt sander.

On the other hand, reputable custom actions are generally round and concentric, and in my experience will property mate with "v-block" chassis.

As far as actually shooting the chassis goes, I suspect that the OP may not be addressing the pistol grip properly. Concentrate on using the middle and ring fingers to pull the grip directly rearward. Some people like to float their thumb, some don't; what matters is that the thumb isn't being used to inadvertantly twist or push the grip.

I had a friend try it this morning. He did better but not much. I think I will bed it just to remove any doubts. I've done traditional and stocks with bedding blocks. For the MPA, I assume I will need to remove the paint on the bedding sufrace and either roughen or use an etching spray on the bedding surface to make it stick. Devcon still the gold standard?

I have some AcraGlass gel sitting on a shelf, I think I will give it a try. Any suggestions on prep before I start on it next week?