• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tips for spotting your own impacts

bribassguy

PRS Shooter -
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2010
Central PA
What's the key to seeing your own impacts / misses?

Update from below:
Shot a Gas gun match this weekend with really strong switchy winds. I had a hard time spotting impact or misses and eventually just went with bracketing +.25 mil more each miss until I was holing 1.25 mil at 400 (77gr 223 @ 2800 fps) on the PRS skills stage to make hits. This seems like a pretty ineffective method.

Last edited:
Getting your body behind the rifle properly and performing all the fundamentals for recoil management to minimize the amount the rifle moves during recoil. If the target isn't in your optic you can't see your impact. Also, keeping your eyes open to see helps.

Shoot an insanely heavy rifle with an absurdly expensive scope, a long suppressor, and shoot a short, fat, pussy 6mm cartridge.
wizards-of-yep.gif

?

so 30 lb gun shooting 6mm pills with a 4k optic... assume you still need to dial back mag and get square behind gun?

meet up with @ballison or any of the other mason dixon guys at the range some time. im sure they help get you squared away before the matches start

Thanks, this weekends wind was pretty bad and I had a hard time spotting my hits or more often misses. Ended up dropping 6 points in the PRS skills stage (3 12x12 plates at 400) The difference between my finish at tie for 6th and top score was 7 hits.

Good info

I agree it is harder with a much lighter weapon

Thanks Bill, you really have the heart of a teacher.

In all seriousness, there are a lot of things that go into spotting hits/misses. Shooting 75gr bullets out of a gas gun isn't the easiest scenario. All the moving parts place a high emphasis on fundamentals and the 75gr bullets don't give you much energy on target for feedback. A lot also depends on what is behind the target. Nothing, grass, wet dirt, dry dirt, ..... all will make it easier or harder to spot misses. There have been times when everything was perfect and I still couldn't see anything, and other times where everything was shit and I got lucky and saw something that told me where the miss was. Ond drill you can use is to have a buddy spin your elevation and windage turrets (.5-1 mil max, nothing unsafe) and see if you can spot where your miss is. Make a correction and reengage.

Reactions: Fig