• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Tips needed on refinishing by barreled action

MitchInOR

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2008
Oregon, Willamette Valley
I'm going to refinish my Savage action while waiting for my new stock. I'm going to use Gunkote and have the blasting, spraying and baking part down and need some advice on the details.

I plan on coating all the bolt parts except the bolt head. I want to leave the lugs alone. Like wise I don't want to spray the area in front of the bolt rails. What would be a good way to fill the lug and chamber area so I don't blast and paint it?

I also have a threaded barrel and thread protector. How do you go about finishing these parts? I'm thinking do it with them screwed together then separate to bake, but not sure what the paint will do when I unscrew the thread protector.

Last, how do you protect the crown and the bore?

Re: Tips needed on refinishing by barreled action

When I blast a barreled action I stuff paper towels in the breech area and blast with caution. I use a foam ear plug in the muzzle but don’t blast straight into the bore. Blast at an angle as to avoid hitting the bore interior but hitting the crown itself.

If you get KG in the bore and bake it, no problem. It wont stick to a slick surface and a good cleaning will remove it pronto.

You can blast the muzzle threads and cap with no ill effects or blast it all while the cap is screwed on tight. Just clean it all up real good with brake parts cleaner prior to painting. Pre heat your parts before paint to make sure no oil leaching is present at the barrel joint or scope base holes.

Re: Tips needed on refinishing by barreled action

I plan to use soak the receiver in acetone and hose with break clean prior to blasting with aluminum oxide. My prior experience is coating AK47's. There is not as many spots to leach oil on a bolt action.

Thanks, advice well taken on both posts.