• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing titanium barrel nuts and metal screws Anti Seize type? Should I use?

Long Range

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2014
From what I know and read, if you are screwing together dissimilar metals you should use anti seize.

One one gun I have a titanium barrel nut and black steel screws.

I am also am using a titanium grip screw into aluminum.

I can already tell that when leaving the steel screws in the titanium not even torqued tight for a few days, when removing them they crack at first when removing, almost like they were fuzed together.

Should I be using anti seize on these screws?

What type would you use: I see there are different types and people are saying different things.

Nickel anti seize
copper anti seize
Zinc anti seize

Does it matter which one? I did read that for titanium a few people mentioned nickel anti seize. I'm not sure if it really matters.

I'm screwing titanium into aluminum and steel into titanium.

Thanks

Use Nickel anti-seize for pretty much everything firearms until you’re going through a bucket per week and the pennies cost difference per joint actually matters. Every other common option either causes galvanic corrosion or catalyzes other issues with common firearms materials.

As you’ve noticed, titanium is very prone to galling in threads.

Reactions: larryh128