• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Gear Titanium muzzle brake review- MADE IN AMERICA

knuckleballz

Elk Hunter
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2013
I recently purchased a titanium muzzle brake from DZ-Tactical. The reason I bought it was to use on a light weight hunting rifle for mountain hunts. This brake weighs only 2.45 ounces on my scale. I wanted to test the recoil against other brakes I had used in the past. I clamped a spring scale to the bench that would record the recoil force. What I found is that the DZ-Tactical titanium brake reduced recoil by 10 percent more than the JP rifles Large Profile muzzle break that I tested it against. The brake is made of hospital grade 5 6AL4V titanium. It appears to be a hard material that resists scratching and corrosion. The threads are 5/8x24 and it threaded perfectly on every barrel I tried it on (Proof, Tikka, Carbon 6, and JP barrels). I put some torque on the brake to get it timed correctly. I was curious if the threads in the Brake could handle some torque without damaging them. The titanium seems harder than the stainless used in the JP brake. The JP brake showed scratches and tool marks from installation/removal and the titanium brake did not. https://www.dz-tactical.com/product-category/muzzle-brake/

Last edited:
If you call the number on the website for DZ-Tactical, Zachery Geragi will answer the phone. Zach is the designer, writes the CAD machining program, and operates the Hardinge lathe, or milling machine to make each part listed on DZ-Tactical. After talking to him, it is obvious he is a very humble guy that is passionate about making awesome stuff that is of high quality. Apparently Zach was a member of Victor 32, 2nd Marine Division. The vehicle he was driving was blown up, during the 2003 invasion of Iraq while fighting in Nasiriyah. He was the only one in the vehicle to survive the explosion. After numerous surgeries to put him back together, and a long recovery, he was medically discharged. This is the kind of guy who I would like to support with my purchases. I got one of each of his shell plate holders, primer tube holders, and shell guides he makes for each of my dillon presses. The quality of each item is amazing! I mentioned that I could use some magnum case size shell plate holders, and Zach said he will get some manufactured and listed on the site. He is looking for ideas for other fire arm related items to manufacture.

Last edited:
I own several titanium muzzle brakes and 2.45 oz seems heavy to me. All my 3-port titanium brakes with 5/8-24 thread pitch are under 1.5 oz.

I would be curious how effective the brakes you mentioned are at reducing recoil. What caliber are you using them on? This particular brake from DZ-Tactical has a one inch outside diameter. The JP brake it out performs has a 1.25 inch diameter. I'm sure he could trim some weight but he wanted to give people the option of turning down the base at a taper to match their barrel profile. He is in the process of designing/manufacturing some other titanium brakes to add to the site. He does custom machining so he can make a custom brake to match your barrel diameter. I believe this first design was intended for the large frame AR market. Zach has an SOT 2, FFL 1, and FFL 7. He can manufacture silencers/parts, machine guns, sbrs, and other gun parts as well as shipping/transfering firearms.

Last edited: