• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Titanium rings and bases!

Re: Titanium rings and bases!

No prices posted?

Is it one of those cases of ... if you have to ask, you can't afford it?

They have the prices for the Savages it looks like $250 for the titanium ones.

I do see the Savage prices. Too rich for me.

Another solution to a nonexistent problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shane45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I guess my OPS2Inc Ti remy base from 3 YEARS AGO doesnt exist since that add claims to be the first! </div></div>
I maybe blind or can't read but I couldn't find that claim on their site?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another solution to a nonexistent problem. </div></div>

Thanks for the heads up Turk but I agree with USMCj. I guess you can buy it for the "BLING" factor.
smirk.gif

wonder what a titanium USO SN3 would run...
makes my wallet bleed just thinking about it.

I should have said only.

"NEW!!! - Introducing the world's only 100% Titanium scope base for Savage and Remington bolt action rifles."

Hi, my name is Cameron Murphy, and I run Murphy Precision, along with my Father, John. This weekend I had the pleasure of having a nice conversation with Turk, where he was kind enough to offer to put a link to our site up on this forum.

While I am trying to be careful not to spam this or any other forum, I wanted to address the concerns of shane45. I honestly wasn't aware that any one else had produced titanium scope bases for Savage or Remington rifles. I will change our ad copy to reflect that fact.

As to concerns that our products are too expensive, I agree. Unfortunately titanium is a very difficult metal to machine, requiring two to three times the tooling costs, and a throughput of maybe 25% of what could be machined if we were making bases out of steel. Because of this, our bases will always have a relatively small market where titanium's unique benefits make sense. We are simply striving to make the absolute best bases we can, and offer the best customer service possible.

If you have any questions about, or any suggestions on ways we could make our bases better, please send me a PM.

Thanks,

Cameron Murphy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shane45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll tell you one thing, its very suprising when you hold a Ti piece in one hand and a steel one in the other.</div></div>

The same can be said for aluminum and steel.

The same could be said of titanium and aluminum
grin.gif

This would be of more interest on a light weight hunters forum where they are looking to shave ounces as they have already reduced the pounds. For the heavy beasts we shoot a few ounces would not even be noticed.

Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The same could be said of titanium and aluminum
grin.gif
</div></div>

Badger alloy (low) weigh about 3.9 oz .... what would Ti rings come in at?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rijndael</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The same could be said of titanium and aluminum
grin.gif
</div></div>

Badger alloy (low) weigh about 3.9 oz .... what would Ti rings come in at? </div></div>

Curious as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rijndael</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shane45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll tell you one thing, its very suprising when you hold a Ti piece in one hand and a steel one in the other.</div></div>

The same can be said for aluminum and steel. </div></div>
And plastic and steel!
grin.gif

Make the base and rings out of carbon fiber and you will get a WOW from me.

For the PITA factor and $$ factor of working in Ti, what you gain is strength/weight.

Ti rings will weigh <span style="font-style: italic">about</span> the same as Al rings for <span style="font-style: italic">about</span> the strength of a Heat Treated Steel rings.

Oh please, please NO. I was hoping everyone was going to forget about Ti. That was one of my first jobs running when I got here and what a PITA. Aluminum and Steel much, much better.
laugh.gif

The Machinist