• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TL3 action in 223 CRF or PF?

TommyD11730

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2020
I'm thinking about purchasing a TL3 action for use with a 223 (at first ) Criterion small shank barrel. It will be in a XRS chassis and use MDT mags.
My question is will both CRF and PF work ok?
Thanks!

Yes, both will work for standard 223.

The only reason to go with PF would be if you think you might want to try a 223 Ackley in the future, as CRF won't feed 223 AI reliably.

Reactions: TommyD11730
We have 3-4 guys shooting .223s using both Origins and TL-3s with CRF without issues; as mentioned, .223 Ackleys don’t play well in CRF actions in my experience

Do they offer the TL3 in pushfeed configuration? Never saw it. Or are you talking about throwing a round in on the mag and running the bolt home?

I have a couple TL3s and have a .223 set up with MDT poly mags and it runs great. Also have a .308 and a 6mm ARC bolt face set ups and they all work too. The TL3 is an excellent action to build off of.

Do they offer the TL3 in pushfeed configuration? Never saw it. Or are you talking about throwing a round in on the mag and running the bolt home?

I have a couple TL3s and have a .223 set up with MDT poly mags and it runs great. Also have a .308 and a 6mm ARC bolt face set ups and they all work too. The TL3 is an excellent action to build off of.

Zermatt offers a push feed bolt head specifically for 223 Ackley. It's not listed on the website, but you can call and ask for one.

Reactions: Gustav7 and Rob01
Zermatt offers a push feed bolt head specifically for 223 Ackley. It's not listed on the website, but you can call and ask for one.

Ah ok. Thanks. Never saw it mentioned but also never really looked into a ,223 AI.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
If you need another option for an action. I've running been a Nucleus Gen 2 223 in Tac class this year and it's been flawless. It single feeds well if you place the round all the way back on top of the empty mag and run the bolt fairly quick.

Ah ok. Thanks. Never saw it mentioned but also never really looked into a ,223 AI.

I learned the hard way. I ended up with a 223 AI barrel that wouldn't feed, called Ray for help, and was pleasantly surprised that he had drop in solution in the form of a bolt head.

Reactions: Rob01
If you need another option for an action. I've running been a Nucleus Gen 2 223 in Tac class this year and it's been flawless. It single feeds well if you place the round all the way back on top of the empty mag and run the bolt fairly quick.

The TL3 CRF will do the same. You can toss a round up and single load if needed.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie