• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing TL3 and a Tacsport pro

Flightmurse

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2018
I am really struggling with an issue here. I picked up a TL3 action to build off of after a very long story with trying to get into a 6mm creedmoor build (starting to think that God doesn’t want me to own a creed). I picked up a Bix’n Andy tac sport pro for it and the firing pin wouldn’t release, so I ordered the low sear. Trigger seemed to be locking up so I sent it back to Bullet Central and got my replacement in today. I go to throw it on the action, and the firing pin is still not releasing.
The trigger will release the sear and click, but the firing pin stays back. Is this just an incompatibility with the trigger and action? Maybe I need to switch to a TT diamond? I love this trigger and want to stick with it. Please throw out any ideas.

I had the same problem with a TL3 and tacsport pro. Did any of your trigger pins go in really tight? My front pin went in tight and it was binding the sear when fired causing the firing pin to get hung up. I sent it back hoping for a new trigger , but they just reamed out the front hole and it works fine now.

The rear hole was a little tight now that you mention it.

Do you can just cut these down to size and use them as pins?

Do you can just cut these down to size and use them as pins?
Yepper. That's why the pin vise......also, to hold the pin when you grind the flashing from the cut of the ends of the pins.

Lifetime supply right there. Guarantees that you'll never need another one. But, if you don't buy this stuff, guaranteed you'll lose one and have to buy a pair from Brownell's at $15.00 a set, plus shipping/time.

Take the trigger out and see if the sear drops freely without pins, it most likely will. Then put your front pin in (trigger still removed from the action) and see if it gets bound up. Mine was crunchy on the way down, then wouldn’t reset. If so, you’ve found the culprit.

So what is the best method to Ream out the hole without damaging the trigger housing? Or should I just sand down the pin itself?

a small file will work. Do the above test I described first to see if it's even your problem before you remove any material.

So what is the best method to Ream out the hole without damaging the trigger housing? Or should I just sand down the pin itself?
It'll sound brutal, but I just chucked up the drill bit in my Makita and ran it through. Try to be as straight as possible and don't spend any more time with the drill bit in the hole than minimally possible. Remember, even you do manage to enlarge/oversize the holes (doubtful, unless you're a gorilla), when the action goes into the stock, the pins won't walk out.

Actually, try running the drill bit by hand, all by itself, through the hole first. If the hole is already close to the diameter of the drill bit, it's possible you can do it by hand and very little possibility of oversizing the hole.

Thank you all for the help. I tried the listed ideas and I think that the oversized pin was contributing but didn’t fix it. I put the trigger on but used a 1/8 drill bit as a rear pin just to function check and it was still sticking. I pulled out the rear pin to see what would happen with just the front installed and the trigger and action worked perfectly. I think that even with the low sear installed it is still too much contact to let the firing pin go forward.

next question, is this something I need to send in to bighorn to fix, or could I just stone down the surface of the cocking piece until I get enough clearance to fire? I assume it is the bottom surface that engaged with the top sear that needs touched up?

Reactions: MakeSawdust
Update: I spoke with Ray and he suggested trying another trigger first. I ordered a tracking diamond and we will see how that works. If no issues I’ll have a new tac sport pro in the classifieds soon.

I'm running a Diamond in my TL3 6 x47 Lapua with no issues. Think you be happy with your purchase.

Ive had a Diamond and a primary in the TL3 without any issues, so you should be golden when yours arrives.