• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TL3 JAE700 bolt binding

texasleftychef

Private
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2011
Fort Worth, Texas
Anybody have the issue with a TL3 and a JAE700 and the bolt binding? I’m able to work the action with the screws barely tight but once they are torqued down some (not super tight) I’m no longer able to work the bolt. That leads me to believe that maybe the rear is maybe riding higher than the front and it’s no longer square?

I’m just mocking this up until my trigger and barrel get here but still a little worried

Stats are what I think is a regular JAE700 and a TL3 with heavy tang and right bolt left port. There is a little play but I figure the action should be installed all the way to the back so that the lug is against the back part of the cut out on the stock. There are some scratches starting to appear around out bottom of the tang right on the outside by the screw hole.

I’ll call Bighorn tomorrow but interested in what you guys think might be the problem. From all indications I thought this would be perfect fit.

Thanks in advance.

So how would I check that or see if that is the case? I’m certain that it’s not the rear screw because I can see that it’s not coming through. Would the fix be to shorten the front screw?

And thanks for your response very much. Something I wouldn’t have thought of for sure.

Update- I think you are right on about this. The top of the front receiver screw appears to be worn down some. I remounted it with just the rear screw and everything seems to be ok/better. So do I shorten the front receiver screw or add another washer or what is best way to handle this.

Last edited:
Look on the 6 oclock bolt lug for a mark. You can see/feel that front screw protrusion. It shouldnt protrude Into the receiver at all.

So how would I check that or see if that is the case? I’m certain that it’s not the rear screw because I can see that it’s not coming through. Would the fix be to shorten the front screw?

And thanks for your response very much. Something I wouldn’t have thought of for sure.

Update- I think you are right on about this. The top of the front receiver screw appears to be worn down some. I remounted it with just the rear screw and everything seems to be ok/better. So do I shorten the front receiver screw or add another washer or what is best way to handle this.

I’d shorten it.

Thanks again for your help. I went and looked through my stuff that came with the stock and there are some shims. I put two in and it all works pretty good for what I can tell without a trigger or barrel.