• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing TL3 prefit to ARC shouldered

Chesapeake

N/A
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2018
Montana
I was wondering if I could have my smith cut the shoulder back on a TL3 prefit in order to make a shouldered barrel for an Archimedes/Nucleus? If I remember correctly the tenon length on the ARC is about 5 thousandths longer.

I just want to make sure that I’m not missing something conceptually here.

Thanks for the help!

It's .100 difference between the two in the wrong direction for what you want to do. Its possible to face the tenon off .100 or so and re chamber it.

Nucleus/Mausingfield/Archimedes actions, barrel shoulder to bolt face is .825 +/-.002
Barrel tenon is referenced at .673

TL3/SR3 actions, barrel shoulder to bolt face is .925
Barrel tenon length is .790 +.000/-.010

Origin action, barrel shoulder to bolt face is 1.025
Barrel tenon length is .890 +.000/-.010

Okay, thanks @jd65 . Based on your experience, would it be an easier/cheaper job for a smith to make a TL3 or Origin shouldered barrel into a shouldered ARC barrel or should I just start with a blank? I know each smith varies on pricing but asking in general so I have a frame of reference.

I'm not a gunsmith so this is just my unprofessional opinion on the subject. I have been machining for many years but, being a machinist does not make me a qualified gunsmith. Now that info is out of the way, I do have 2 nucleus actions and have spun up a few barrels for them. In my opinion it would not be a difficult task to face off a TL3 barrel and push the chamber back. I also think for the best possible end result, starting with a new blank might be the way to go. Other factors will depend on the previous smith's work and how well the barrel was originally indicated in and machined. If you can get a TL3 barrel cheap enough it might be worth it.