• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TL3 vs 737R

Nfrantz87

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 16, 2020
Building my first bolt gun for PRS. I'm looking at either a Bighorn TL3 to somewhat clone my RimX I just built or a Impact 737R. It's going in a KRG bravo so I know with the Impact I will have to modify the chassis some. What's good or bad between the 2?

Attachments

• PXL_20201019_214305424.jpg
    PXL_20201019_214305424.jpg
    600.2 KB · Views: 54
Hard to have a preference when I've never built anything other than that RimX. 😏

Hard to have a preference when I've never built anything other than that RimX. 😏

Just research the differences.

You’ll likely find you don’t care either way. But at least you’ll know.

I personally run impacts.

I’m a brand snob, and tend to be a loyal customer so if I was in your shoes I’d be getting the TL3. Lol but that’s a lame reason.

The guy that got me into all this suggested Impact which is the way I'm leaning but who doesn't like matching rifles 😂

Reactions: Olen_4504

This is the nature of custom built rifles. You spend thousands of dollars building a rifle, and then your preferences change a year or two later as you finger fuck other people's rifles. My custom rifles have gone through many iterations before I got them to a point where I don't have a desire to change anything.

Both are excellent actions, with a different set of features. Both work great for PRS, so neither action is going to let you down on that main objective. Both are very tolerant of adverse conditions, which is important in a PRS rifle.

The rest is just nuances that drive people's preferences. The 737 isn't better then the TL3, nor is the inverse true. They just have some differences, which on the firing line are more subtleties then anything else. Some people don't like the "slop" of the TL3, some people don't like the hitch on close of the 737. But you won't know if either of these things are deal breakers until you get more experience with both actions, and unfortunately sometimes that means spending a bunch of money to figure out what those preferences and dislikes are.

At the end of the day, both actions are going to perform on the shooting line at a PRS match, and do so well. It's just the subtleties and nuances that drive people's preferences one way or another, and that is something that comes from experience.

Both are great, Bighorn customer service is top notch. (have never dealt with customer service for Impact) If you wanted to run multiple calibers you can swap bolt head on the TL3 for around $150, on Impact you would need new bolt which is around $400-$500, if you dont care about swapping calibers or controlled round feed I would go Impact but that is just personal preference, cant go wrong with either

The guy that got me into all this suggested Impact which is the way I'm leaning but who doesn't like matching rifles 😂

I don’t think you’d regret going with either one. Tons of guys running both.

Modifying my stocks make me feel icky too. So another reason I’d just go with the TL3.

Will be a nice little rifle. Those bravos are great for the money

I run a TL3 because I want to be able to utilize the interchangeable bolt heads when I get drawn for certain hunts. Thus far, I’ve only used it for PRS, and it has done everything I’ve needed it to. Some say the TL3 binds easily. I would say, I can make it bind, but I’ve never had it bind unintentionally. I also the ease of working with the mechanical ejector when headspacing new barrels, finding the lands, etc.

I run a TL3 because I want to be able to utilize the interchangeable bolt heads when I get drawn for certain hunts. Thus far, I’ve only used it for PRS, and it has done everything I’ve needed it to. Some say the TL3 binds easily. I would say, I can make it bind, but I’ve never had it bind unintentionally. I also the ease of working with the mechanical ejector when headspacing new barrels, finding the lands, etc.
I have very little experience with a TL3 but you have to actually work to jam it up, stop diddling with it on the couch and use it normally and it’s a non issue.

people say this all the time and I understand why they say it but I think it's a non-issue in my opinion

all of the ones I have had when the bolt is in the most rearward position if you put upward pressure on the bolt especially when combined with sideways pressure it does feel sort of like the bolt is binding but what it appears is happening is sort of the slot in bolt head sandwiching the mechanical ejector

once you get the bolt head past the mechanical ejector it is very very hard to try to induce any sort of "binding" at least in my experience in a few examples of tl3's

ETA: I completely agree with the above ... can make it happen when fiddle dicking around with it at home but don't ever remember it happening at a class or match or at the range
Exactly. I’ve never had it bind without intentionally trying to make it do so. When actually running it, I’ve never had a problem.

Reactions: SonicBurlap
people say this all the time and I understand why they say it but I think it's a non-issue in my opinion

all of the ones I have had when the bolt is in the most rearward position if you put upward pressure on the bolt especially when combined with sideways pressure it does feel sort of like the bolt is binding but what it appears is happening is sort of the slot in bolt head sandwiching the mechanical ejector

once you get the bolt head past the mechanical ejector it is very very hard to try to induce any sort of "binding" at least in my experience in a few examples of tl3's

ETA: I completely agree with the above ... can make it happen when fiddle dicking around with it at home but don't ever remember it happening at a class or match or at the range

It's certainly a non-issue.

People try to make it out to be a bigger deal then it really is, but that's also by the same people who's only metric for an action is by how good the action "feels".

Disclaimer: both a very good actions

If you’re like me, you’ll want to handle them both. Some very small differences in “feel” might make you love or hate and action. For example I have run most all actions available and run lone peak. Here was my progression with the tl3 and impact (many others, but these are the ones you asked about)

TL3, I didn’t care for the feel with the little extra bolt clearance. Slop is a terrible word, but only way to get it across. It feel “loose.” Which some people really like and it’s not a problem at all. The action works really well

Impact: felt better to man when compared to the tl3. 50/50 cock on open/close

Lone peak: feels “beefier” and I prefer the 100% cock on open as I usually have my position settled back In when I close the bolt.

Again, both are great actions. Just giving you an example of why you may want to get behind them both (side by side ideally) and run them. Also, make sure there is a trigger in them to actuate the cocking piece. Actions feel completely different without a trigger.

Bighorn gets my vote, great quality. Ability to swap heads and lots of shoulder prefits available, coupled with amazing customer support.
you won’t be disappointed.

Impact and don’t look back.

And go ahead and pair it with a foundation. They were made for each other :)

swapping bolt heads sounds great but most people ever use that feature. Hell we won’t even swap scopes over to another rifle. We just buy another high end scope even though we said we wouldn’t.

seriously my group has around 20 impacts and a few TL3’s. The TL3’s have been converted and never once did they use any of the features of why they bought the TL3 in the first place.

Reactions: Junco Grande
Can't speak for others but I bought a TL3 personally just for the ability to swap the bolt heads. Have a .223 bolt head and barrel waiting for the action now which is coming in with a .308 boltface to be a 6.5 Creedmoor. I love that ability and it will be used. ;)

TL3 is an awesome action. I have a Manners stock that is bedded for the TL3 and I dropped my Rim-x directly into the bedding with no modifications and it shoots great. It's nice to know that even if bedded for one the other will work.

I have run an impact only a few times and they are great. You can't go wrong.

I am sticking with my TL3's because I love the controlled round feed and mechanical ejection. They also make them in a left bolt right port which is my preference. I have .223, .308, and magnum bolt heads. I use my actions for .223 AI, 6 Dasher, 6.5x47 Lapua, and 7 SAUM. They all work great.

TL3 gets my vote. I definitely use the interchangeable bolt heads. The TL3 has one of, if not THE, lightest bolt lifts of any bolt action. TL3s will feed damn near anything, even BR cases. I also love the mechanical ejector, as well as controlled round feed. Lastly, it seems to me the TL3 is probably one of the most common options in pre-fit barrels. Especially when you consider it can even run savage barrels if you are building on the super cheap. But as others have said, neither of the two options you have narrowed down would be bad.

I like impacts, bit also liked the tl3 and origin I had. If you are gonna be swapping calibers or plan on doing a 6br/6bra/6dasher at some point, the mechanical ejector on the bighorn just work better. Ive had 6bra in an impact and it was fine, as many others have had, but ive had to do a lot of dicking with rem700 to get them to eject 6br. A mechanical ejector makes quick work of those short, fat cases.

I moved from a TL3 to an impact, I’ve not purchased another TL3, I have quite a few impacts now.

Force me to move to a new action, and it would be Lone Peak or TL3.

Really appreciate all the info guys. Decisions decisions 🤔

ou spend thousands of dollars building a rifle, and then your preferences change a year or two later
If you’re like me, you’ll want to handle them both.
get behind them both (side by side ideally) and run them

I've never touched or even seen an Impact action in person...so I can't comment on that.

But I can say that I've had several different actions in the last couple years....I've tried Defiance, TL3, Mausingfield (M7), Origin, and Archimedes in that order.

I still have a TL3 and love being able to swap barrels and bolt heads very easily.
But my match gun is an Archimedes and I don't expect to change. I've actually started selling some actions (or repurposing them).
Bottom line is just like @Dthomas3523 said.....lay your hands on them if at all possible. Find someone that has one and ask them if you can run some of your factory ammo through it (so you don't burn up their ammo).

Good luck.
Ross

I see numerous posts where the ability to swap bolt heads wasn't utilized and some have sold the tl3 for another action. I now have 4 TL3s, and I swap bolt heads and barrels depending on what I am after. Varmints, I use the 223 and valkyrie bolt heads and corresponding barrels. Then hunting, 223 and 308 volt heads and barrels for the, and then I swap out for PRS matches and use the barrels I have for that purpose. I also use different chassis too. MPA comps for everything but hunting, and ultralight MPAs for hunting.

I doubt I'll ever be swapping bolt heads. It will be a dedicated PRS rifle so once it's set it's set.

I'm not sure you can go wrong with either, but the Impact and Lone Peak to me are the top out-of-the-box actions IMO. They work with the BR cases just fine too. Mechanical ejector and swapping bolt heads fills a niche for sure, but I don't have any use for it. Worst case you spend a little more on a new bolt for an Impact vs just the bolt head, and it's swapped quicker.

Saving a couple hundred bucks isn't a drop in the bucket of even just one season of shooting lol. By the time I shoot 5 PRS matches, 5 club matches, pay for my practice range and ammo, I'm in $10k. I forget which shooter it was, maybe Regina, said she spent like $20k one season. Looking at the overall budget for a competitive shooter, trying to save a few cents a shot or savings $100 here or there on "budget" equipment doesn't really help. No one ever regrets using the best equipment...

I have a feeling at some point I'll have both anyway.

I'm not sure you can go wrong with either, but the Impact and Lone Peak to me are the top out-of-the-box actions IMO. They work with the BR cases just fine too. Mechanical ejector and swapping bolt heads fills a niche for sure, but I don't have any use for it. Worst case you spend a little more on a new bolt for an Impact vs just the bolt head, and it's swapped quicker.

Saving a couple hundred bucks isn't a drop in the bucket of even just one season of shooting lol. By the time I shoot 5 PRS matches, 5 club matches, pay for my practice range and ammo, I'm in $10k. I forget which shooter it was, maybe Regina, said she spent like $20k one season. Looking at the overall budget for a competitive shooter, trying to save a few cents a shot or savings $100 here or there on "budget" equipment doesn't really help. No one ever regrets using the best equipment...

I don’t even want to think about adding up what I spend in season. And I don’t even shoot/travel as much as some of the top shooters.

I know I’m $2k in just match fees alone so far this year. That’s a drop in the bucket

Or you want to run a .223 in Tac and can swap between both.

I don't plan on using a prefit barrel at all and I don't plan on running Tac just open. I'm going to focus more on the Rimfire series next year anyway untill I get more settled in. I don't plan on doing too many centerfire matches as there's not many close by and would rather spend the money on more gear and get into reloading soon.

"Don't plan on" turns into more money down the road. LOL
Oh trust me I know. My RimX I just finished was my "winter project" for next season. Then your buddy starts selling parts you need for it cheap and a barrel and action pop up for sale and BAM it's done In 4 weeks in September. Then somehow you already order a chassis for a new "winter project" in October. Winter apparently takes too long.

Yup exactly. That's why planning for the what ifs now will save money/time later. An action lasts for many years so having one that can transform for me is a much better option.

Sounds like I can't go wrong with either though and both seem to be in stock multiple places.

Reactions: Rob01
It's all in my head, but I chose Impact for the integral scope rail. Having knocked one loose on a Rem700 before, I'm leery of the 2 piece designs. Doubt it's an issue, but peace of mind aids confidence when jamming your heavy Razor against barricades, lol.

It's all in my head, but I chose Impact for the integral scope rail. Having knocked one loose on a Rem700 before, I'm leery of the 2 piece designs. Doubt it's an issue, but peace of mind aids confidence when jamming your heavy Razor against barricades, lol.

With a 700 and their varying quality for ring screws and body shape I would be more concerned than with a custom action. My GAP Templar action has a screw attached base and it has never given an issue since I got it in 2008 and it's been slammed around a lot. Integral are nice and I have one on my Surgeon but done right in a custom action having a separate base is not a concern at all for me.

Reactions: StrayDog
I went through this exact dilemma a few months ago, trying to decide which action to get first. Was looking at them all, impact, defiance, lone peak, etc. I ended up with the Impact largely based on the number of posts I read about it. I didn’t have the luxury to feel all of them because I had just started shooting matches but I figure if the top guys and a lot of the forum are running them, it certainly will be good enough for me.

I kicked around the idea of the swappable bolt heads but at the end of the day the majority of the calibers I would shoot for prs would take a standard bolt face anyways. The only real reason for me to swap would be a 223 trainer and if I go that route why not pony up the extra for a dedicated bolt. It’s a lot cheaper than a new action haha.

The other reason I went with the impact is because I have a savage now and it can bind, now I know the TL3 is in a different class but still the same design. I was looking for something different. Just my .02 cents, I haven’t shot prs matches a ton but have experience in USPSA so I’m very familiar with the idea that what I have now will not likely be the last. I started with a Glock 19 and ended up with a 2011 open gun. Ymmv.

If you've got the RimX get the Zermatt Arms a.k.a, Bighorn TL3, I had my trigger timed to the action, no "slop" no cock on close. Works great in a KRG Bravo. PROOF Research pre-fit barrel and PVA Jet Blast muzzle brake and done. Great customer service and no charge for the trigger timing, but then again you'll know about the great customer service if you ordered your RimX directlly from ZAI.

I would like to go with impact because most the people I know with lots of experience pointed me in the direction and run them themselves but having a TL3 to somewhat match my RimX is also apealing as far as having a closely matching trainer.

You need to get what you like, otherwise you'll never be happy with it but I've personally never had a problem with a TL3, I like the exchangeable bolt heads, and I already know that once I'll shoot out my 6.5CM barrel I'll switch my standard bolt head out to the magnum and run 6.5 PRC for a while, love the CRF so I can decide to have the brass drop gently into my hand, or fling it out into the botanics if I want. I've got my barrel vise, action wrench, torque wrench and headspace gauges so I don't need to pay a gunsmith to monkey with my barrels, and where I live it's windy and dusty, and freezes in the winter and I've yet to see a TL3 to have a problem with dust, or frost while I've seen other actions that are generally fine custom actions choke. Heck if I get a RimX I can even swap out some of the bolt knobs I have.

Reactions: giumau1
With a 700 and their varying quality for ring screws and body shape I would be more concerned than with a custom action. My GAP Templar action has a screw attached base and it has never given an issue since I got it in 2008 and it's been slammed around a lot. Integral are nice and I have one on my Surgeon but done right in a custom action having a separate base is not a concern at all for me.

Key words are "done right".

My GAP Crusader has a Defiance Rebel action, and I've had the base on that come loose in a match. It's come loose a couple of times, enough to be pretty annoying.

However, my Mausingfield M5 has a separate base, but it's keyed, I don't think that thing would come loose even without the screws.

What does it actually take to swap prefit barrels? Very new to this.

What does it actually take to swap prefit barrels? Very new to this.

barrel vice or some way to secure a barrel
Action wrench
Torque wrench

or just a regular vice, towels, channel locks. Not kidding seen it done multiple times lol.