• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TL3 w/ Weak Ejection & Extraction Issues

SonoranPrecision

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
This rifle has a TL3 action, proof prefit 6.5cm barrel with about 1500 rounds on it by now. Since I first acquired it, I’ve been running it almost exclusively with Lapua brass handloads and a little factory Hornady here and there. Over the course of a couple years, I never had a failure to extract and never noticed weak ejection.

Recently I loaded up a batch of ammo with the Hornady brass I acquired over the last couple years. Low and behold I started getting stuck cases and weak ejection.

I cleaned the chamber, cleaned the extractor and the channel it rides in. The loads aren’t overpressure, and the stuck cases weren’t what I would call truly stuck. They came out with a light tap from a cleaning rod. Anyway I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out what was going on.

Today I really dove into it, and found something interesting that may or may not be related to the stuck cases, but is definitely related to the weak ejection.

The Hornady 6.5cm brass that I measured has rim grooves that measure anywhere from .391-.398
Lapua 6.5cm brass has rim grooves that are .405-.406

Not only are the Lapua cases more consistent (no surprise), but the increase in diameter allows the extractor in the TL3 bolt head to actually positively hold on to the cases.

On the flip side, the Hornady brass is so narrow in this dimension that it is completely loose, and will just fall out of the bolt head. Based on saami drawings, I believe that the Hornady brass is technically within spec, though on the low end.

Obviously the simple answer is to just run Lapua brass. Mostly just curious if anyone has noticed anything similar or along the same vein.

Last edited:
My TL3 has always done that to differing extents the whole time I’ve had it. I did get it pretty well used and I’ve put about 4000 rounds on it without getting worse. I shot solely hornady brass for a while and had stuck cases too, but that was because I didn’t clean after sizing brass for a while as an experiment and the chamber got dirty. I recently switched to Peterson brass, and it’s still happening. I did change the extractor out not long after I got it, and that helped some but didn’t completely resolve it.

Reactions: SonoranPrecision
This rifle has a TL3 action, proof prefit 6.5cm barrel with about 1500 rounds on it by now. Since I first acquired it, I’ve been running it almost exclusively with Lapua brass handloads and a little factory Hornady here and there. Over the course of a couple years, I never had a failure to extract and never noticed weak ejection.

Recently I loaded up a batch of ammo with the Hornady brass I acquired over the last couple years. Low and behold I started getting stuck cases and weak ejection.

I cleaned the chamber, cleaned the extractor and the channel it rides in. The loads aren’t overpressure, and the stuck cases weren’t what I would call truly stuck. They came out with a light tap from a cleaning rod. Anyway I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out what was going on.

Today I really dove into it, and found something interesting that may or may not be related to the stuck cases, but is definitely related to the weak ejection.

The Hornady 6.5cm brass that I measured has rim grooves that measure anywhere from .391-.398
Lapua 6.5cm brass has rim grooves that are .405-.406

Not only are the Lapua cases more consistent (no surprise), but the increase in diameter allows the extractor in the TL3 bolt head to actually positively hold on to the cases.

On the flip side, the Hornady brass is so narrow in this dimension that it is completely loose, and will just fall out of the bolt head. Based on saami drawings, I believe that the Hornady brass is technically within spec, though on the low end.

Obviously the simple answer is to just run Lapua brass. Mostly just curious if anyone has noticed anything similar or along the same vein.
It sounds like you'd benefit from replacing your extractor kit. Shoot us an email with your address and we'll get you sorted out.

Thanks - Ray

Did replacing the extractor kit help with your ejection? I'd like to try to chase down why mine is still doing it too