• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TMK’s For Field Use? Match/Deployment...

j-dubya

A-Driver for Doobby’s Taxiola
Minuteman
May 10, 2011
Atlanta area
Asking here since it’s more platform related instead of ammo. Specifically the Sierra tipped projectiles, are they reliable enough for field use in gas guns? Would you trust them enough to deploy with, or use in a high-stakes match? I have always been leery of them after having Amax’s years ago have issues when jamming up in bolt guns. Always stayed away from them in gas gun applications. Supposedly the Sierras are a little more durable, and now that they’ve been out there for a while for guys to use them, how have they fared for semi autos?

I have 77 tmk loaded in my HD gun. I also use them when I want to stretch the legs of 5.56 past 7-800. I've gone through probably 500ish rounds of the black hills 77 tmk. Not a huge sample size but I've never had an issue. I've killed coyotes with them as well. I know others that use 69 tmk for coyotes without issue.

People have taken Elk, Moose, Bear, lots of deer, speed goats, etc with the 77gr tmk.

There's a huge thread on rokslide about the round an it's performance on animals.

Thanks. Good to hear. The 77’s in 5.56 AR is what I’m mainly interested in. Still not sure I’d put them in a 308 gas gun yet.

Anyone have experience with the 130TMK in 6,5?

The lost case capacity was not worth it to me vs using the non-tipped 69 smk. They are considerably longer and not anymore accurate out to 500 meters.

Reactions: r.tenorio671
I have 77 tmk loaded in my HD gun. I also use them when I want to stretch the legs of 5.56 past 7-800. I've gone through probably 500ish rounds of the black hills 77 tmk. Not a huge sample size but I've never had an issue. I've killed coyotes with them as well. I know others that use 69 tmk for coyotes without issue.

People have taken Elk, Moose, Bear, lots of deer, speed goats, etc with the 77gr tmk.

There's a huge thread on rokslide about the round an it's performance on animals.
I second the rokslide thread on using 77 grain tmk’s. It’s almost 90 pages of great information spanning several years that is still active.

Reactions: Clayman
The lost case capacity was not worth it to me vs using the non-tipped 69 smk. They are considerably longer and not anymore accurate out to 500 meters.

Did you have to change your load going from the SMK to TMK?

I didn't change a thing, except seating the 77gr TMK a little deeper to ensure it fit the mag, compared to my 77gr SMK load.

I'm running 23.6gr of 8202XBR, so I'm above .223 book max, but didn't notice any changes to accuracy or pressure signs and my velocity stayed within the ES I had with the SMK.

I've never messed with the 69gr TMK though, so not sure if there are major differences between the tipped and non-tipped versions.

Yes, but if you're shooting to 800 or 1000, the BC really shines.

I run 23.5gr XBR with 77gr TMKs to mag length in LC brass with CCI450s. That is a pet load and any 20" stainless 1:7 or 1:8 I've ever seen shot that load lights out.

Did you have to change your load going from the SMK to TMK?

I didn't change a thing, except seating the 77gr TMK a little deeper to ensure it fit the mag, compared to my 77gr SMK load.

I'm running 23.6gr of 8202XBR, so I'm above .223 book max, but didn't notice any changes to accuracy or pressure signs and my velocity stayed within the ES I had with the SMK.

I've never messed with the 69gr TMK though, so not sure if there are major differences between the tipped and non-tipped versions.
Yes as I'm well beyond the max book load for the 69 SMK using 24.4 gr of 8208 XBR. My notes indicate 23.2 grains is what I tested the 69 TMK's with. I only shoot the 69 SMK's out of my M4's with 16" barrels to extend their effective range and avoid any tipped cycling issues.

I’ve been shooting tipped Sierra bullets from my semi-automatic AR15s for more than two decades and have never had a single issue with them. The Sierra 55 grain BlitzKing is one of the most consistently accurate bullets that I’ve used in my AR-15s.

The 10-shot group pictured below was fired from one of my Kriger barreled AR-15s from a distance of 100 yards using one of my hand-loads topped with the 55 grain BlitzKing. The group has an extreme spread of 0.49 MOA.

55_blitzking_krieger_ar15_10_shot_group_-2444603.jpg

The Sierra 77 grain Tipped MatchKing isn’t too shabby either.

TgtGfx_77_tipped_31b_resized-2444604.jpg

I’ve been shooting tipped Sierra bullets from my semi-automatic AR15s for more than two decades and have never had a single issue with them. The Sierra 55 grain BlitzKing is one of the most consistently accurate bullets that I’ve used in my AR-15s.

The 10-shot group pictured below was fired from one of my Kriger barreled AR-15s from a distance of 100 yards using one of my hand-loads topped with the 55 grain BlitzKing. The group has an extreme spread of 0.49 MOA.

55_blitzking_krieger_ar15_10_shot_group_-2444603.jpg

The Sierra 77 grain Tipped MatchKing isn’t too shabby either.

TgtGfx_77_tipped_31b_resized-2444604.jpg

Thanks Molon.

Do you find any issues shooting the 55gr Blitzkings out of a 1/7 or 1/8 twist?

My only complaint about the TMK is that the 175 likes to be loaded close to the lands so it’s a much better fit for a bolt gun (I load mine at 2.880” coal) as opposed to the AR which is more or less limited to 2.82in in which case, the SMK 175 group better out of a gasser and have less pressure sign because of the increased capacity.

The Sierra 55 grain BlitzKing is one of the most consistently accurate bullets that I’ve used in my AR-15s.

Me too, and it's very accurate in my factory Colt 6721 with a 1/9 heavy barrel which was surprising to me especially from that factory barrel. Pleasantly surprised to be honest......... I bought a bunch!!

Thanks. Good to hear. The 77’s in 5.56 AR is what I’m mainly interested in. Still not sure I’d put them in a 308 gas gun yet.

I've shot 1000's of 77TMK, 69TMK, 125 TMK in 300Blk and 155 TMK and 168 TMK in 308 both bolt and gas gun.

Stupid accurate and consistent at distance and never had a single issue....unlike ELD's...

Reactions: st1650
Had very good accuracy out of the 125TMK in my 300BLK.

I've shot 1000's of 77TMK, 69TMK, 125 TMK in 300Blk and 155 TMK and 168 TMK in 308 both bolt and gas gun.

Stupid accurate and consistent at distance and never had a single issue....unlike ELD's...
77 TMK good with mag feeding?

Reactions: smacha538

pretty effective on piggies as well

3ivPkhD.jpg