• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision TNVC’s first Texas Night Defender Class, AAR

HTR707

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
May 12, 2008
Rockport, TX
As you have seen in previous postings, TNVC held this class in Victoria, Texas, on the grounds of Wild River Ranch’s tactical training facility. A hog hunt was also provided for the instructors, to prove a concept that will be considered for future courses. The idea is that we will offer a more advanced class, which involves training during the first 1-2 days of the event and then a night vision and thermal assisted hog hunt on the last day or days, providing the students with live targets, in order to apply their newly acquired skill set.

But, back to this class, this is my AAR, and also WRR’s welcome post to the Sniper’s Hide as a Forum sponsor! Look to this post for updates on next year’s TNVC Night Defender class, and announcements for other Wild River Ranch events, products and hunts. We have literally thousands of photos from the event and more will be posted as we sort through them.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Training Day 1</span>: Students assemble for classroom / power point presentation. This is the time to learn how these devices work, and the skills and mindset necessary to fight in the dark. Trainers discussed optics, human eye physiology and other such topics. A demo table was provided so students could familiarize themselves with multiple devices, both NV and thermal. Since this is a beginner's night vision class, we hope to save the new NOD buyer time in learning some of the vast array of techniques possible with the devices.

We also were privileged to have reps from FLIR, LDI and Wilcox, who demonstrated their gear to the students. Many thanks to them for traveling to the ranch, to help us with the experience.

DSCF4030.jpg

TNVC’s Chip Lasky then gave a talk on how to set up a rifle for NOD use, lasers, white lights, mounts, etc. Near dark, the students traveled over to the range facility for a sumptuous barbecue, and then zeroing of weapons. We had a professional cooking team making smoked ribs, and checking the uniformity of the pit's temp with an M24 thermal! After zeroing, the students were asked to complete a series of common drills under the NOD’s. Here you see IR lasers used for aiming.

_CLL1785-1.jpg

The students then shot behind the VTAC barricades using a variety of positions. One student, a wounded marine, shot this entire class from a wheelchair, and shot extremely well. Congrats, Paul.

IRlaser4.jpg

handgun4.jpg

IRlaser3.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Training Day 2</span>: Students started back at the classroom, then back to the range, at dusk, for dinner and the start of pistol training. Students learned to acquire night sights under NOD’s and also learned the superimposition technique. Most of the students picked this up quickly.

handgun3.jpg

After pistol drills, the students moved to an obstacle course, which started with a rifle drill and a pistol transition drill. They navigated several obstacles, and then went back to the line to finish the drill with a few more shots on target, after working up their heart rates.

obstacle1.jpg

obstacle3.jpg

Once all the obstacles were completed the course was wrapped up with a brief meeting, and certificates were passed out. After night 2, instructors and WRR guide staff went out in the “Rat Patrol Truck,” looking for hogs. We stalked up to a few groups, using the M24, PVS-14’s, D-740's and LDI DBal lasers for aiming. The FLIR rep had a T-50 and we shot one pig, on the first stalk, with the new Cutting Edge Raptor bullet. After the first few stalks, we finally came upon a large group, at least 25 hogs.

After a countdown, we shot 3, and hit several others that were not recovered. Some of these were killed with the Raptor bullet, from 6.8 SBR's others with Silver State Armory’s factory 77 grain SMK’s in 5.56. One the way back to the cabin, we encountered 2 hogs that ran across the ranch road, and one of the instructors, popped up, and quickly dispatched the last “bonus hog” right at the gate!

DSCF4063.jpg

DSCF5023-1.jpg

This is the model for future events. TNVC and Wild River Ranch are together, forging a one-of- a-kind, educational shooting adventure. The tactical shooting will be handled by TNVC’s tactical training staff, led by Don Edwards, Kyle Harth and Mike Nelson. These trainers have also been training LE and military users of NOD’s for years via Telluric group, and their skills will now be combined with the hunting and guiding prowess of Wild River Ranch. The hunting and outdoors tactics will be handled by WRR guides, who have over 100 years of combined hunting, guiding, and shooting experience, ranging from waterfowl to whitetail deer hunting, to the latest craze, feral hog hunting using night vision, thermal and suppressed weapons. Together, we will help foster what we believe is a natural progression. That is, the marriage of the tactical, hunting and outdoors worlds. Never before has such an experienced team been put together, and nowhere else on planet Earth is such a class being offered.

Stay tuned to this and other posts as we evolve the world’s most advanced and unique tactical, shooting, hunting and outdoor field craft learning experience.

ETA: Night vision assisted pics taken by Chip Lasky. Additional photos taken by WRR staff.

Re: TNVC’s first Texas Night Defender Class, AAR

Nicely done!
I hope to be in that next class as I have heard its first rate.

I also hear great things about Wild River Ranch, the day time hunts and the night time fun! Thanks for yall you have to for the WWP.

I was happy to be able to attend this class as an observer and participate in the after class hog hunt. There was a great deal of learning happening in the class and even more fun had during the hunt. It was awesome to see so many of the top end industry professionals on hand to demo their products as well. Representatives from Wilcox, Laser Devices and Flir all did some great product demos and even passed out some swag to the students. Thanks alot guys. TNVC also had a large selection of gear candy and the Ops-Core goodness present was intoxicating. They had a few new products on display and passed out some swag too. I can't wait to get a DBAL D2, finally a descent, civilian legal, laser/illuminator is available to the huddled masses.

It was also a pleasure to meet Victor from TNVC and all the instructors from TNVC and Telluric group were world class! Thanks again to Don, Mike, Kyle and Chip. I am looking forward to the next time we get to hunt together!

Here is a pic of one of the instructors offering some tips to one of the students
IMAG0458.jpg

This is a vid of Paul running a pistol drill, Paul was dialed in and was wearing out the center of all his targets for the entire class. Good shooting Paul!!

Can't wait for the next one!!

I wanted to thank all the students that attended, it was a REAL pleasure putting the faces with their user names.

It was an awesome event and lot's of "learning occurred" as Pat Rogers always says. :)

Wild River Ranches is an amazing establishment and you're going to see more and more of this facility in the very near future. I cannot say enough how good these guys are at what they do. They've been at the hunting and guide game for a LONG time and it shows.

P.S.
Not only did folks get to see the new FLIR T-50 clip-on we've been selling like hot cakes but also the ULTRA new version ADUNS clip-on unit. I worked with the early version several years back, but the new version just released is an impressive piece of kit that ALL other future hybrid kit will be judged by...It's that good! It's FINALLY and truly the best of BOTH I2/Thermal worlds! We will have an in-depth review of this system soon.

Vic