• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

To 6 gt or not to 6 gt?

BootMan545

Private
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2018
Louisiana
So, I've been dabbling in the PRS world for a few years. Don't consider myself a pro or a FNG. Definitely still learning. So far all I've been shooting is a .308, the R700 AAC-SD. Which I have enjoyed. Though, I really want to venture into the 6mm world after some nice folks let me shoot their decked out 6 mms. Mistake, I know. It was like a night/day difference. I've been looking at the 6 gay tiger and I'm very intrigued. The gayness does very little to deter me.

What is deterring me, is knowing that I must make my own rounds, which I am fully capable of doing. Its just getting the $Y*@^ primers! Jesus! Do they exist? I'm beginning to think they never actually did. I look at the last 50 or so of my large rifle primers I have in my gun case periodically to remind myself they did exist at one time. It's all not one great illusion. But what's a guy got to do to secure some small rifle primers in today's world? How many dongs to I have to chug? 2? 5? 10? Do I have to offer up my first born? I don't want to place any orders until I know I can produce the rounds reliably. Otherwise, my rifle is just a really expensive paper weight. I've thought about the 6 Creedmore since you can buy rounds off the shelf, but those are costing $40-50 for a box of 20. F me. Why do I have to have expensive hobbies?

At any rate, is anyone else in the same boat as me? How do people buy primers these days? Also, should I encounter primers for sale, which is recommend for the 6 gt? Standard or Magnum and why? I know they exist because when I go to a match, all I hear are shooters "whipping em out and measuring" by bragging about how many primers they have in storage. Oh and they'll sell for twice what they bought them for. Maybe that's my weakness? If I didn't care about losing all dignity buying from a scalper, I'd have the 6 gay tiger I so desire. Sigh. But my conscience and will power remain immovable. So I guess I'm only left to dream of shooting a 6 mm. It's something I can watch others do, but never fully experience. *Cries in .308*

Last edited:
If you don't want to reload. Just get a 6mm Creedmoor.

6GT likes any SRP. I personally use CCI 450. Primers are out there and relatively easy to find if you look. I bought 5k CCI 450 a month ago from a retailer at non-gouging prices.

I'm on my 4th GT barrel and have not had any complaints about it.
I love my 6GT and also run CCI 450 Magnum primers. I have about 600 remaining and need to find a source eventually. Where did you find yours and what was the cost?

I have been through 4 GT barrels and now have a dasher as well. There is nothing wrong with the GT at all and to me its actually easier to load for because the nodes have been huge for me. I would give the dasher a slight edge in accuracy but not much since swapping to the Alpha brass. I don’t think you will be disappointed in the GT at all.

Also, shop around a little. CM should be available for <$30/box plus s/h.

Just keep checking brownell and midway, I’m able to pick up 4K Cci450 last month.

How do people buy primers these days?
chris-farley-snl.gif

I love my 6GT and also run CCI 450 Magnum primers. I have about 600 remaining and need to find a source eventually. Where did you find yours and what was the cost?
Not the greatest price, but I also split it with someone. I have also bought primers from Brownells... Edge membership plus gift card purchases (buy 75 get 25) make it palatable.

Screenshot_20220312-180534.png

I have been through 4 GT barrels and now have a dasher as well. There is nothing wrong with the GT at all and to me its actually easier to load for because the nodes have been huge for me. I would give the dasher a slight edge in accuracy but not much since swapping to the Alpha brass. I don’t think you will be disappointed in the GT at all.
Thanks man! Yeah I follow the logic with the 6 GT vs 6CM/6x47. It'll be a journey, but I'll make it.

if you want it and can get the items you need to be able to either shoot it or reload it you have the money go with god .

images

lol

• Haha
Reactions: BootMan545
CCI 450’s is what a majority of guys are using. They’ve been coming available weekly. If you haven’t done so yet, get into the reloading group on Discord. Yeah I know it’s “technology” and most people don’t wanna do it but that’s a sure way to get your hands on stuff when it become available and it’s really not that hard.

Also, Hornady is making 6GT factory ammo now that should be out within the next few weeks. I’ve been shooting 6GT for over 3 years now and it’s a great round with great barrel life. Stupid easy to load for as well.

CCI 450’s is what a majority of guys are using. They’ve been coming available weekly. If you haven’t done so yet, get into the reloading group on Discord. Yeah I know it’s “technology” and most people don’t wanna do it but that’s a sure way to get your hands on stuff when it become available and it’s really not that hard.

Also, Hornady is making 6GT factory ammo now that should be out within the next few weeks. I’ve been shooting 6GT for over 3 years now and it’s a great round with great barrel life. Stupid easy to load for as well.
Awesome! Really appreciate this info. I’m fluent with discord. Idk why I’m surprised there’s a reloading discord when there’s a discord for pretty much everything, but I am.

Awesome! Really appreciate this info. I’m fluent with discord. Idk why I’m surprised there’s a reloading discord when there’s a discord for pretty much everything, but I am.
They literally have people wait hung everything and when it comes in stock they send the alert. You can pick only the alerts you want. But then you gotta be on the quick side when it comes in. I’ve managed to get everything I need as far as powder, primers, bullets. Everything to get me through the year.

So, I've been dabbling in the PRS world for a few years. Don't consider myself a pro or a FNG. Definitely still learning. So far all I've been shooting is a .308, the R700 AAC-SD. Which I have enjoyed. Though, I really want to venture into the 6mm world after some nice folks let me shoot their decked out 6 mms. Mistake, I know. It was like a night/day difference. I've been looking at the 6 gay tiger and I'm very intrigued. The gayness does very little to deter me.

What is deterring me, is knowing that I must make my own rounds, which I am fully capable of doing. Its just getting the $Y*@^ primers! Jesus! Do they exist? I'm beginning to think they never actually did. I look at the last 50 or so of my large rifle primers I have in my gun case periodically to remind myself they did exist at one time. It's all not one great illusion. But what's a guy got to do to secure some small rifle primers in today's world? How many dongs to I have to chug? 2? 5? 10? Do I have to offer up my first born? I don't want to place any orders until I know I can produce the rounds reliably. Otherwise, my rifle is just a really expensive paper weight. I've thought about the 6 Creedmore since you can buy rounds off the shelf, but those are costing $40-50 for a box of 20. F me. Why do I have to have expensive hobbies?

At any rate, is anyone else in the same boat as me? How do people buy primers these days? Also, should I encounter primers for sale, which is recommend for the 6 gt? Standard or Magnum and why? I know they exist because when I go to a match, all I hear are shooters "whipping em out and measuring" by bragging about how many primers they have in storage. Oh and they'll sell for twice what they bought them for. Maybe that's my weakness? If I didn't care about losing all dignity buying from a scalper, I'd have the 6 gay tiger I so desire. Sigh. But my conscience and will power remain immovable. So I guess I'm only left to dream of shooting a 6 mm. It's something I can watch others do, but never fully experience. *Cries in .308*
GAP sells Hornady Match 6GT ammo now

If youre shooting matches ask the guys you shoot with about components. Ive been tutned on to quite a few honey holes that way. Scored 24lbs of varget within 2 weeks of putting word out. Make sure you have the money yo buy extra. If you need 1k but 5k is available just get it worst case you can help out buddies. The guys i know that shoot gt love it. I went with 6br and kind of wish id gone gt or dasher