• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

To bed or not to bed...that is the question

colt933

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2009
Tennessee
I have one 700P .300WM with an HS Precision stock with the aluminum bedding block. I get conflicting information on whether to bed this or not - some say it is not necessary but others do it. Should I or should I not? I currently get about .65MOA with 208 AMAX/H1000 hand loads. Might bedding yield some improvement?

Re: To bed or not to bed...that is the question

If you're getting .6 MOA, I probably wouldn't mess with it unless I was experienced enough to know what I was doing. A poor bedding job can add stress.

What I do to determine if a rifle needs bedded (which is virtually all unbedded rifles):

-check to make sure the rifle is unloaded
-remove bolt
-remove action screws and bottom metal
-remove barreled action
-put barreled action back in stock, don't add bolts or bottom metal
-bump butt of stock with your hand to make sure the recoil lug is seated up against the block
-grab barrel and attempt to rock the action side to side within the stock. if there is any movement, it could benefit from bedding.

.6 MOA is pretty good for a stock 300 WM, but skim bedding done by a professonal gunsmith will improve it, how much I can't tell you. I had a HS Precision Tac stock and skimmed it which improved accuracy by .2 MOA. To me it was well worth it. Good luck with your decision Colt.

I treat my rifles like my women. Get them out of the friend zone into the bed zone.

I saw a slight improvement in groups on my 700p .308 after bedding it. Definitely worth the couple bucks to get it done if you ask me.

I understand why you wouldn't want to mess with it at .6 now. You should check out the thread in the gunsmithing section on the lack of concentricity on the OD of 700 actions. That's why most people recommend skim bedding even with the aluminum V block.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bjordan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The search function is your friend, I posted a pretty similar question a few months back. Check out the thread below, lots of opinions in it.

http://206.125.47.33/forum/ubbthreads.ph...398#Post2275398 </div></div>

Yeah, I did search and read for hours.

I stated: "I get conflicting information" in my original post.

The post that you directed me to is one of these with conflicting information. Thanks for trying to make me look like a dumbass.

To all the other contributors, I thank you!

I'm not trying to make you look like anything, sorry if I came off like that. This is a forum with lots of people with lots of different opinions. You're always going to get conflicting information. You know the old saying, opinions are like a-holes, everybody has one and everybody's stinks.

Bed it and check you're improvements, i've never heard of a "good" bedding job hurting a rifle.

I believe his question is whether good bedding job will actually create an improvement. I wonder this myself.

I have an AICS Stock i'm dropping a Rem 700 action on... and the installation instructions state that i should tighten the bolts bit by bit and shoot in between until i find the best groups.

Knowing that it's that precise and will actually change the stress levels according to how i tighten... i too wonder if bedding is needed at all. If the stocks aluminum pillar does everything as it needs to be done, why bed?

So what i'm wondering is... with a stock like the AICS or a JAE, where you can control tension, has anyone systematically found that bedding improved the grouping more than slowly and methodically tightening the tension bolts?

Can you do the same with the HS or say a B&C?

Is bedding a cheaper stock going to get you better results than a high end stock with aluminum bedding?

How great are the results?

Personally, if i didn't have to bed, I'd much rather use that money on good ammo.
laugh.gif

There are several ways to verify for your self if the stock should be bedded. Some "chassis style" bedding systems are great and dont need it others, well they need it. One way is to check for stress, you can do this very easy. If you have a dial indicator w/ a magnetic base is the best way but I use my finger some times. Hold the rifle with the muzzle @ about 1-2 oclock and loosen each action screw one at a time (with the other still tight) and look for movement of the barrel just past the fore end. I attach the dial indicator base to the barrel and the indicator to the under side of the fore arm. If you get any more than a few thousandths you have too much stress and it should be bedded. Or you can very lightly place your finger at the barrel / fore arm juncture and feel for the movement. One other way is to remove and then install the action whial shooting a group and look for POI shifts. I usually will shoot 2/3 shots and remove then reinstall using the exact same torque and then 2/3 shots. Do this 2 or 3 times and you will see a pattern develop, on a properly bedded rifle you will have very little POI shift and it shouldnt "settle in". I hope this helps.

Oh one more thing, you could do all the above but I would just bed the fucker and be done with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hk dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe his question is whether good bedding job will actually create an improvement. I wonder this myself.

I have an AICS Stock i'm dropping a Rem 700 action on... and the installation instructions state that i should tighten the bolts bit by bit and shoot in between until i find the best groups.

Knowing that it's that precise and will actually change the stress levels according to how i tighten... i too wonder if bedding is needed at all. If the stocks aluminum pillar does everything as it needs to be done, why bed?

So what i'm wondering is... with a stock like the AICS or a JAE, where you can control tension, has anyone systematically found that bedding improved the grouping more than slowly and methodically tightening the tension bolts?

Can you do the same with the HS or say a B&C?

Is bedding a cheaper stock going to get you better results than a high end stock with aluminum bedding?

How great are the results?

Personally, if i didn't have to bed, I'd much rather use that money on good ammo.
laugh.gif
</div></div>

I cannot comment on the chassis style as I have no experience with them. I have bedded one Rem factory HS and one B&C. What I found was that in both instances the action bolts fit loosely in their stock holes, the lugs had gaps on all sides in their pockets, and the actions would rock back and forth while sitting unbolted in the stock. This lead me to believe that those two smallish screws/bolts are taking on all the stress of securing the action to the stock and maintaining front to back and side to side positioning. I am no expert but, IMO, there will be some eventual shifting occurring at some point. Now bedded, there is no movement at all leaving the bolts to simply secure the action to the stock. Oh, and DIY bedding cost me about 15.00 rifle.