• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

To bed or not to bed.....

Slav538

Private
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2014
south texas
Have a Rem 700 Sendero chambered in 300 WM...doing some upgrades and wondering if bedding the recoil lug will improve barrel harmonics? Or is it better to leave the lug free?

I would bed behind it, leaving the sides and front free. Bedding may or may not improve anything but it sure is not going to hurt.

If I'm not mistaken the Sendero has an HS Precision stock. I'd bed behind the lug and also skim bed around the action screw holes (pillars). It will help settle the stock/action contact and if you have to take it apart it usually will go back together the same as it was.

If I'm not mistaken the Sendero has an HS Precision stock. I'd bed behind the lug and also skim bed around the action screw holes (pillars). It will help settle the stock/action contact and if you have to take it apart it usually will go back together the same as it was.

I believe you are correct on the stock and agree with your suggestions.

Thanks Gents......to confirm...The stock is from H-S....Im not familiar with skim bedding....I assume it means to slather a small amount across the pillars in vicinity of screw holes after applying smooth coat of parting agent (I normally use Kiwi shoe polish)....then re-assemble stock and action....torqueing screws to appropriate inch pounds....if this is correct.....will look at that for a bit first because am planning to remove the magazine hinge plate and mount a Wyatt DBM. I think risk to skim bedding the pillars in this way is to apply too much and not taking care to get all the excess squeeze out removed from magazine area.

Not to hijack the thread, but would the same treatment benefit a Savage with an hs precision stalk?

Not to hijack the thread, but would the same treatment benefit a Savage with an hs precision stalk?

Yes, it would be equally beneficial.
When I bed a rifle I do not torque the bolts down at all, I use bolts with the head cut off as guides and then strap the action and stock together so nothing moves but do not apply any stress such as torquing down might cause. Hopefully one of the professionals can comment on that.

Thanks Gents......to confirm...The stock is from H-S....Im not familiar with skim bedding....I assume it means to slather a small amount across the pillars in vicinity of screw holes after applying smooth coat of parting agent (I normally use Kiwi shoe polish)....then re-assemble stock and action....torqueing screws to appropriate inch pounds....if this is correct.....will look at that for a bit first because am planning to remove the magazine hinge plate and mount a Wyatt DBM. I think risk to skim bedding the pillars in this way is to apply too much and not taking care to get all the excess squeeze out removed from magazine area.

You pretty much have the picture other than the torqueing. All the guns I have bedded I have just tightened the screws enough to hold it together (versus strapping although I guess that will work). The key is to keep any pressure evenly distributed between the screws.

I would only bed the lug and rear tang using acetone and a qtip to clean the excess from the trigger inlet prior to installing the action. I would use real screws tightened just until they touch and hold the action in alignment. I would tighten the forward action screw first making sure not to put much torque at all on the rear screw. And finally I would only use enough epoxy for the recoil lug to fill the mortis and wipe the excess with acetone.

Last edited: