• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

To brake or not to brake?

novaman64

Private
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2009
Camino, CA
Working on swapping barrels on my 700 from a 243 to a 260. The gun will be used for both bench (fun at the range) and deer/pig hunting (so I will be huffing it around). Ordering up a 24" #5 contour (.700 @ the muzzle) SS fluted barrel. My smith recomended that I throw a brake on it, not for kick issues, but he said with that cartridge I will be able to watch the vapor trail and the bullet impact. The downside is they are louder. I was wondering what your guys opinions were on this? I have heard that the VAIS brakes arent as hard on the shooters ears as some others...

So should I go with a brake or not?

If I do go with a brake should I get a VAIS, Centershot Rifles Muscle Brake or a Kirby Allen Pain Killer?

Re: To brake or not to brake?

Not sure about the other two, but I wouldn't go VAIS due to the 360 venting, kicks up dust when gas goes downward.

I'd investigate and see if the Badger thruster can turn down to .700 and if so that would be my choice. You'll want earplugs when shooting any brake imho.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You'll want earplugs when shooting any brake imho.</div></div>

You'll want earplugs shooting ANY GUN!! you don't want to be the annoying old guy at gatherings that keep asking people to repeat what they just said.

Jason, I dont think the Thruster can be turned down that much.

Jimmy, if you are not going to be shooting from prone (on dirt) the Vias is a damn good brake. When hunting, I use reusable earplugs that have a low DB rating so I can still hear whats going on around me and still have enough ear protection from the muzzle blast.

Put a brake on it. The Vais works GREAT but, you'll be eating salad and covering your rifle and scope with vegatation when hunting. It's fine for the bench but not the field.

In my experience, it's hard to tell a REAL difference in the effectivness between brakes. Go for what looks cool and enjoy.

Ok, thanks for the info. Definitely will be getting a brake, now I just gotta choose 1 of the 3...

Waiting on from info from Kirby about his painkiller brake...

just make sure it is removeable, i think this is implied by the posts above but I wanted to make sure you got one that is removeable so that you have the best of both worlds...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.243 .260 .308's Brakes aren't needed period, there a tacticool accessory item. </div></div>

B.S! Have you ever shot a 308 with and with out? I can understand you wanting to be a tough guy and all but they are VERY practical. They even work great on a 223. Thats right, a 223.

Hell, even if not 100% needed, its still a practical muzzle crown protector. My brakes have taken some dings before that would surely fuck up a crown.

I have a few MB's on a few different rifles. And I like them for recoil. And I do believe you have a little better control of the rifle. However for a smith to say that you would be able to see impacts with a 260?? That is saying a lot. That rifle would have to be pretty heavy, and the stock would have to fit you just right to be able to see impacts with a 260?? Just my opinion.

I have an Ops Inc Brake on one 308 with a 22" tube and a Surefire Brake on another 308 with a 20" tube. Yep, I notice the difference, wear ear lugs for sure for all shooting, and only noticed mild blast when standing to the side.

I like'em but everyone has an opinion.

todd

Brakes are the most annoying, anti-social, and hearing-destructive devices ever invented. 260REM and you are thinking of a brake.....come on man. Brakes are one reason I just don't go to a public range anymore. All of us should be interested in encouraging youngsters, new shooters, women, etc. to take up this wonderful activity called shooting. There is a war going on and the more shooters we have the better. Brakes do not help our cause.

I've never heard the difference between a brake or no brake when shooting at game. However, everyone at the range will thank you for not having one.

I'd go with out a MB, I like to keep the crown clean amd a MB makes that next to impossible .

In fact, the only rifles I have that has a MB are my 50 BMG "it needs It" and one 308 that came with one installed , but its easaly removeable and will soon be replaced with a thread protector.

Nova,

I recently had this debate with myself when building my rifle. I wanted a break because, quite frankly, I don't like recoil.

We shoot weekly. Usually spending 2-5 hours behind the gun, next to my shooting partner. Prior to my build I was shooting a 300 WM with a break. During my build I switched to a .223 without a break. What I learned during this time was that the noise caused from a break was more distracting than the recoil itself. Not only for me but for him too. I decided on no break and couldn't be happier.

I would strongly encourage you to spend time examining your own shooting habits. For the record when my build was first completed it took me a month to learn to manage the recoil. Now it's not an issue and I am able to see my hits at any range; without the noise.

Lastly, I went no break knowing one could be added later. This gave me a little extra coin to put into other parts of the gun.

Good luck with your build. Let us know what you decide.

-Chris

**I just realized my post was not 100% clear. I had a 300WM & switched to a 223 while a new stick was being built. That rifle, now my primary shooter, is a 300WSM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cavemanmoore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nova,

I recently had this debate with myself when building my rifle. I wanted a break because, quite frankly, I don't like recoil.

We shoot weekly. Usually spending 2-5 hours behind the gun, next to my shooting partner. Prior to my build I was shooting a 300 WM with a break. During my build I switched to a .223 without a break. What I learned during this time was that the noise caused from a break was more distracting than the recoil itself. Not only for me but for him too. I decided on no break and couldn't be happier.

</div></div>

There is the answer: stop shooting canon's that require a break. A 308WIN can kill anything in North America...ok, might want a little more for brown bear. 6XC is probably the best competition cartridge out to 1K. Neither has much recoil.

I'm considering braking my rifle with this:

its a Tubb T2K.

1000426ug2.jpg

Thats my Tubb Brake on my .308, in my wifes Kitchen, and my rifle kicks alot more with my Shark can on than with that brake on, its not loud, it doesn't kick up dirt, and its adjustable to you, your rifle, and your shooting style.

HaHa LOL, I googled it and that pic was the best one I could find. Looks awesome man.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get A Can! </div></div>

I live in CA... Not an option...

Well thanks for all the advice. I think what I will do is get a removable brake, so that I can take it off and throw a thread protector on when the situation arises where I might not want it on. I think I am gonna go with the VAIS since I dont believe it needs to be timed like many of the others....