• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

To build/buy or remodel?

Area51

Private
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2013
I am shooting a Browning A Bolt in .300 WSM. It has been great for hunting I typically shoot deer out to 420 yards and elk out to 650. I started shooting paper and a gong out to 800 this summer and getting 1 to 1.5 MOA groups. The question I would like to get some thoughts on is on a budget would I be better off to buy a new match grade shilen barrel and a McMillan stock to get more accuracy from 300 to 1000 yards or should I just enjoy what I have and save for a "real" long range build? Basically is it worth putting 1k$ into a Browning A Bolt?

Re: To build/buy or remodel?

Hey if that's the action you like then go for it. If you're not sold on the action then build one you want.

The WSM's work great for big Game. I'd leave it as it is, and enjoy it for what it's better at.

For steel and paper, chamberings with less energy probably work better.

I like the .260 Rem for paper/steel out to 1KM, and am looking long and hard at the .280 Rem for well beyond 1KM, and to wick up the terminal energy for LR Hunting. These smaller bores utilize the .308 and .30-'06 chamber capacities at maximum efficiency, permitting better bore life and less shooter fatigue when shooting longer strings of fire.

If you build on a Savage Long Action, the bolt faces for these two rounds are identical, and you might get by with just a barrel switch between the two chamberings.

Greg

Thanks for the input.