• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

To build or to buy and the options. For a 1000yd gun

Majja

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2018
Ok I am looking at building a budget long range out to 1000yd gun. Maybe a little further once I get there. I wish I could drop the coin for a full on custom rig, but that is out of the question. I am looking at doing a Howa Barreled action in 6.5 Creedmoor in either a KRG Bravo or XLR elements Chassis.

I have had experience with the 6.5 and currently like it so I would like to stick with it.

Should I go with the 24 or 26 in Barreled action on the Howa. Also as of right now it is just a bit cheaper if I go this route then just buying the Howa Bravo, but not buy alot. Are there any benefits to either one of the above chassis. I am trying to keep this at around 1100 or a bit less if I can.

Thank you

I was in the same boat a couple of months ago. I went with the Howa 24" Threaded Heavy Barreled action from Brownells & KRG Bravo stock directly from KRG.

Brownells had a sale on the barreled action, 24" Threaded Heavy Barrel - $366.00 delivered (it's about $90.00 more now I think)

KRG Bravo with a couple of small options - $457.00

Burris offers a good discount to NRA Instructors - XTR-II 5-25X50 FDE $779.50
Burris 1-piece 25 MOA base & Tactical Signature 34mm rings $115.50

So let's see... that's $1718.00 as it sits in the photo.

I did the popular coil spring cut trigger job on the factory HACT trigger - the first stage is just under 1 lb, and the total trigger is 1lb 4oz.

I'm still breaking it in with Hornady American Gunner factory ammo, and the best 100 yard group was .46" - so I'm very happy with the accuracy.

Howa-Bravo-1.jpg

Good luck,
Bob S.

Thanks all for the info. The Bagara is a consideration as well. I thought about doing a typical Savage build as well, but I kind of want to do something a little different.

Messer that is a great looking rig? I have time and I am not in a hurry so I am kind of hoping Brownells will drop them on sale again. Please keep up the suggestions as I am open to ideas.

I have considered a Tikka. I like them. But then I am the same with all my other firends. .... and you know we cant have that. :p

What others have said- My Tikka CTR with a Vortex scope easily gets me to 1K and then some. Put some money into handloading and it only gets better. Factory ammo does .5 to .9MOA with loads it likes and handloads cut that to .25 on a good day and .40 on a bad one. I did upgrade the stock to a KRG Bravo but had no trouble at 1K with the OEM stock. I have more expensive rifles (I love TRGs) but other than pride of ownership they dont really effect my ability to hit at those ranges- its all skill after a certain point.

Mine was a 24" 6.5CM. Nice thing is- shoot out the barrel and then convert it to a switch barrel with one of PVAs. I ended up buying a 223 bolt for my Tikka and can now swap a 223 barrel onto it using AICS mags in the KRG stock for cheap practice then swap back to 6.5 or anything else PVA will spin up for me. Doesnt get any better....

Last edited:
Reactions: stello1001
Rueger predator dropped in a new stock ( options a plenty out there for low cost) and Athlon Midas TAC will set you right about the $1k mark and get you easily to 1k range. New Magpul stock and you do the even need to worry about if the predator is the small rotary mag or not since it gives you Magpul magazine compatibility built in to the stock. Word to the wise though, if you get it with too high cheek weld you will have a few extra steps roving bolt for cleaning.

I love my Bergara B-14 HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor. With my 20 MOA Picatinny rail and my PVA 'Jet Blast' muzzle brake it is plenty accurate up to 1,200 yards and a pleasure to shoot. I have to add though that at the range in town I mostly shoot on the 600 - 800 yard range now, and less often on the 1,000 yard because it is usually occupied by law enforcement and some competition shooters. Since I'm a veteran now and no longer earn my bread with this I gladly defer to their need for range time on the 'big range'.

I'd get a Tikka and I'd buy used. It's a buyers market right now so you can get into a better rifle for less money by going used.

Here is a gently used stainless CTR for $830 shipped to your dealer.

That would get my vote. That's over $300 off retail now for a rifle that only has a little over 100 rounds on it, and seeing who the seller is you can bet it's a great shooter.

You should be into it less than $1100 by time you get a KRG bravo and dump the factory stock, bottom metal, and mag.

I had a Predator it shot pretty good, but i got tired of waiting for magpul and sold it. A while back. I am going to have to re-visit the savages also. Time can be both my friend and enemy, to much time to spend on the web getting new ideas. Thanks all for the info and please do not stop, lots of valuable info her and I am eating it all up.

I do hand load and am set up for 6.5 I kept all my brass and dies when I sold my Pred.

Matt