• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

To build or to buy . . .

Limedust

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
I'm in a bit of a pickle here. I, about a year ago, may have precipitously purchased a rifle before I really knew what I wanted and what I wanted to do with it. The Tikka T3 Lite in .308 I bought has been a fine rifle (as far as I can tell with somewhat limited experience) and I can shoot it pretty well so far. The problem here is that the Lite is a hunting rifle; it's light, the barrel is thin enough to heat up after a few rounds, and the stock, while okay, is uncomfortable in my shooting hand. Anyhow, this is all to say that the rifle doesn't suit my needs; I will never hunt, and focus exclusively on target shooting to increasing distances. I need to either upgrade or buy something else . . . and there's the problem. I'm sort of sentimental and would like to keep my first rifle; I could build on the action, with a new stock, barrel, bottom metal (maybe) but money is an issue. Conversely, I could buy a new gun that is suitable out of the box and costs the same or even less than the upgrades--thinking an FN SPR--especially after selling the first rifle. I'm weighing the pros and cons here, but would appreciate any advice, particularly because I didn't ask for any before and ended up in this situation.

I'd say I'm looking at 1300-1500 max expenditure here.

I'm in a bit of a pickle here. I, about a year ago, may have precipitously purchased a rifle before I really knew what I wanted and what I wanted to do with it. The Tikka T3 Lite in .308 I bought has been a fine rifle (as far as I can tell with somewhat limited experience) and I can shoot it pretty well so far. The problem here is that the Lite is a hunting rifle; it's light, the barrel is thin enough to heat up after a few rounds, and the stock, while okay, is uncomfortable in my shooting hand. Anyhow, this is all to say that the rifle doesn't suit my needs; I will never hunt, and focus exclusively on target shooting to increasing distances. I need to either upgrade or buy something else . . . and there's the problem. I'm sort of sentimental and would like to keep my first rifle; I could build on the action, with a new stock, barrel, bottom metal (maybe) but money is an issue. Conversely, I could buy a new gun that is suitable out of the box and costs the same or even less than the upgrades--thinking an FN SPR--especially after selling the first rifle. I'm weighing the pros and cons here, but would appreciate any advice, particularly because I didn't ask for any before and ended up in this situation.

I'd say I'm looking at 1300-1500 max expenditure here.

Hows this for an answer?!?!?!? Tikka T3 Sporter, 24' Barrel .260 Rem JRTN521 * : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

Roedale makes a couple of very nice chassis for the Tika. I have a raptor stock and it's very comfortable and adjustable. With a medium contour barrel, the chassis and barreled action come to about 10 pounds.

Roedale Precision - Stocks

I shot an NRA high power match and a modified combat EIC match with mine today. Won both.

You can get a new barrel for it and have a smith install it for you. A new barrel runs about $300 and maybe $200 for the work.

If you get the FN SPR, make sure it's been bedded. I recall some models were not, but if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.

You might also consider a Remington 700P. I personally am not fond of the H&S Precision stock (but the aluminum bedding block is great) but I know others who like it.