• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

To buy or build, that is the question

bottom_gun

Navigator
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2010
Mason Co., WA
I'm sure this has been visited, but what is the build cost vs buy cost for a build on a surgeon 591 action? Assuming all the parts are the same, is it cheaper to buy a surgeon or GAP complete on the 591, or is it cheaper to get in on the surgeon group sale and commence rounding up all the parts?

Re: To buy or build, that is the question

I would say this is apples and oranges. Considering you are not building yourself (having someone build it for you vs. buying from GAP or other coustom or even buying from an idividual), cost could be the same. Building yourself is fine and could save money if your skills for a build are up to par. (machine shop, tools, build knowledge...)

Welcome to the Hide by the way.

Complete your profile so we know a little more about you!
smile.gif

I was looking at that also. Unless I am missing a piece of the puzzle here it looks like you can save quite a bit by doing it yourself. The only drawback is if it doesn't shoot as well as it should you don't have anyone standing behind it but yourself.

I guess that's the real question.. is it that much cheaper to piece it together, since it will take a fair amount of time/ research to find all the correct pieces?

Also, my knowledge level is none, so I assume all work would have to go through a gunsmith?

If you arn't doing the work yourself, buying the individual parts and sending them to get fixed is not going to save you any money. Gap and or many of the other builders already makes good deals on the parts because of how many they buy. Their labor costs are what drive the prices up because they do good work and are in demand. They also have a guarantee if something goes wrong. That would be time that they are not getting paid for if something was not right and they have to fix it.

Looking at the whole rifle price vs parts this is what I came up with. I'm sure there are some things I am overlooking but here it is.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Rifle - Surgeon Scalpel # 2-20-2 Price: $4583.00</span>
Action - Surgeon 591/R Group buy price $1132.00
Barrel - Krieger – Price $315.00
Stock - McMillan: A-5 Price $572.99
Trigger – Jewell Price $228.99
Bottom metal - Surgeon Group buy price $340
Magazine – AICS 5 shot Price: $64.40
Price of parts to build rifle = <span style="font-weight: bold">$2653.38</span>

I would like someone who has done this to chime in and give some insight.

I would just buy all the parts myself and send it to APA to do the build! You WILL save a lot of money over buying a straight up Surgeon and it will shoot just as good if not better!

I would love to learn to do this, but I also want a good rifle.. the first time, so my quest for knowledge can wait for rifle #2. Thank you Humungus, those numbers say a lot. From there, I guess you could even pare down some of the components to save a little more money.

If you had all the parts in a pile and asked a good 'smith to build it you could most likely save enough to have a solid start towards the scope. Keep in mind that teh complete rifle is a turn-hey solution that you can have next week. Not something you're waiting for completion.

Getting a gunsmith to chamber the barrel and mate it to the action isn't all that expensive, a bedding job isn't very expensive, and the coating of your choice isn't either.

If you're starting with a $2600 pile of parts I would estimate (since I just did some pricing myself last week) you could spend another $800 bucks and have the thing put together for you. You'd be on the hook to mount the scope, but it's really not a difficult job. There's a bunch of instruction threads on here about it as well.

I was pricing things last week to see if it's worth my time to true a 700 action and chamber it up or if I should get one of our friendly gunsmith's on this forum to do it for me.

Turns out that the assembly prices are very reasonable. I think people ought to understand how their firearm works and how to care for it without having to run to a gunsmith for little things like mounting a piece of glass. I'd suggest that the best you could do would be to assemble the pile of parts, have one of the 'smiths on here barrel the action and bed the stock and coat (cerakote, bluing, duracoat, whatever) the barreled action and bottom metal. You mount the scope, hang the trigger, etc.

It would probably make your custom rifle run another 600 bucks on top of the prices, you learn about some intro things and have some sweat and pride in knowing that you were involved in the actual final package, and you save some money.

I went through this last year: buy parts to hot rod my 700 or buy a complete build. I made a list of the parts with cost and compared to complete build. Then I asked smiths what labor would be to stick my parts together and did not save any money other than the cost of the 700 action Vs (insert name of action here). From what I gather, smiths charge slightly less for the same parts to their customers for complete builds vs buying from the vendor as a single customer.

My deciding factor was wait time. It took longer to find, order and pay for parts vs just call smith up, give rifle specs, cut a check and then the wait. For me, I would have no rifle as I waited for smith to stick it all together Vs having 700 while I waited for the build. Then I had two rifles Vs just one. Mc stocks told me 8 month wait for an A5, smith quoted me 4-6 month wait so I figure with the smith having a finger in the stock pipeline, would get it faster than me a reg ole joe.

So, while doing the ciphering of parts and such, $3000 fell into my lap and the next day I was on the phone, rifle ordered.

I'm going to start looking for parts to see if $3000 falls in my lap. That is true though, if I can get a rifle built on the surgeon 591 for $3000, and have it guaranteed by a smith, then I'm all in.

Here is another thought. Plenty of rifles come up for sale here. With very few exceptions, most have not had too many rounds down them and are in very good shape. Save some coin too.

A few barreled actions have been available for great prices. Put them in a McM A5 and bottom metal from the "Post Exchange" and you can get by real inexpensively. It may not have a Surgeon action, but....

My .02$ and whatnot......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Humungus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking at the whole rifle price vs parts this is what I came up with. I'm sure there are some things I am overlooking but here it is.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Rifle - Surgeon Scalpel # 2-20-2 Price: $4583.00</span>
Action - Surgeon 591/R Group buy price $1132.00
Barrel - Krieger &#150; Price $315.00
Stock - McMillan: A-5 Price $572.99
Trigger &#150; Jewell Price $228.99
Bottom metal - Surgeon Group buy price $340
Magazine &#150; AICS 5 shot Price: $64.40
Price of parts to build rifle = <span style="font-weight: bold">$2653.38</span>

I would like someone who has done this to chime in and give some insight.
</div></div>

It's typically a little cheaper to get the parts yourself for a few reasons. You can pickup deals here and there, but also the builders that build more than something like 49 rifles a year (like Surgeon and GAP) have to pay an excise tax to the .gov

Surgeon builds a hell of a rifle, but won't build using your parts, you must purchase complete from them now I believe. GAP, APA, Wnroscoe, etc will assemble your parts and do a very nice job.

J

I agree with JasonK, but ill plug my smith in there for the factor of wanting to. I would buy a Surgeon action via the group buy and slowly piece the parts together, box it up and send it all to <span style="font-weight: bold">strictlyRUM </span> and you wont be disappointed or wait to terribly long as you would with the big name guys (GAP,APA) but Mr Roscoe would be a good choice as well

deadly, APA has a very short wait time right now. I boxed up all of my parts and sent it in, even though they quoted me 60 days, they called me about 30 days later and said they were done.

Thank you jasonk and deadly0311. I think I will go that route. I've been poking around and found some good deals on stocks and a group buy on barrels, so given the timing, I think that piecing one together is probably the more economical route.

Now.. is the Surgeon 591 worth the extra money compared to other actions? From an engineering standpoint, I am amazed by the integrated rail, but is there an equally impressive action for similar money? ($1132 group buy)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bottomgun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Now.. is the Surgeon 591 worth the extra money compared to other actions? From an engineering standpoint, I am amazed by the integrated rail, but is there an equally impressive action for similar money? ($1132 group buy) </div></div>

You may want to consider the Surgeon RSR for $688. It doesn't have the integral rail or lug but its darn nice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bottomgun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you jasonk and deadly0311. I think I will go that route. I've been poking around and found some good deals on stocks and a group buy on barrels, so given the timing, I think that piecing one together is probably the more economical route.

Now.. is the Surgeon 591 worth the extra money compared to other actions? From an engineering standpoint, I am amazed by the integrated rail, but is there an equally impressive action for similar money? ($1132 group buy) </div></div>

Is it worth the money? YES, but do you need it, mmmm no. I went with the Surgeon RSR action because I couldnt justify the extra cost. Now the RSR action is worth its weight in gold! especially at the group buy price! I just finished a build on a RSR and I am very happy I didnt spend the extra money on the 591.

So how does the RSR compare to other actions similar priced? ($688 group buy) Is there a better value action out there?

Nope, no better value. It comes with a double pinned recoil lug, side bolt release, the same 1 piece bolt that comes with the 591 action and you can (AND SHOULD!!!) buy the Surgeon double pinned scope base that fits so well on the action it makes it hard to see a seam once its seated in place (well almost
laugh.gif
)

So you're saying the majority of mere mortal shooters might not even notice the difference between the 591 and RSR because the scope rail is machined so well.. or am I overstepping bounds there?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bottomgun</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">So you're saying the majority of mere mortal shooters might not even notice the difference between the 591 and RSR because the scope rail is machined so well</span>.. or am I overstepping bounds there? </div></div>

Yes! You have to see it to belive it. It mates with the action so well (and tight) even before you put the screws on. Now the recoil lug being built in does have some advantages, but again, you will not see the difference when its all said and done. All things being equal, I honestly do not see a rifle built on the 591 being any more accurate than one built on a RSR.

Just for the hell of it, the BAT VRPIC is one hell of an action. I have only played with one at Robert Gradous' shop, but man was it super nice. It was maybe too tight, but when the time comes down the road, I will spend the extra money on one. The price is basically the same as the 591, and the actions are both outfitted the same. BAT's record speaks for itself too. I can't think that one is really any better than the other, but variety is nice and BAT VRPIC rolls off the tongue so easily
grin.gif

Of course you can do the smart thing and get in on the group buy, get a barrel, and get it assembled for the price of either actions mentioned previously.

Man wouldn't it be nice to be rich!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DHD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just for the hell of it, the BAT VRPIC is one hell of an action. I have only played with one at Robert Gradous' shop, but man was it super nice. It was maybe too tight, but when the time comes down the road, I will spend the extra money on one. The price is basically the same as the 591, and the actions are both outfitted the same. BAT's record speaks for itself too. I can't think that one is really any better than the other, but variety is nice and BAT VRPIC rolls off the tongue so easily
grin.gif

Of course you can do the smart thing and get in on the group buy, get a barrel, and get it assembled for the price of either actions mentioned previously.

Man wouldn't it be nice to be rich! </div></div>

I don't know if I would get one for a tactical rifle. The BAT is nice but a lot of the bench rest custom actions are too tight for tactical use. If any dirt gets in them its not going to function well. A good site to read about custom actions is http://www.6mmbr.com/actions.html. Most of them are suited for bench rest but they do have a write up on the Surgeon.

I think you can order the BATs with a little more clearence for tactical use. I have felt a couple of BATs. They are probably the nicest and smoothest actions I have ever felt.

I am about to do another build and will most likely be using one of those Bighorn actions. I had the chance to mess around with one a couple of months back and it was smooth as the BATs and the fit and finish was second to none.

I am having trouble finding information on the BAT VRPIC. If you have a good link, please provide.

Next part: Who provides the best barrel for the money?

I would worry about who your plumber is then who makes the "best" barrel.

Right on. I guess the better question is what is the best value for barrels right now.

I need to find a gunsmith and will be using recommendations from this site, but it will take some time for me to round up the parts to take to the smith.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would worry about who your plumber is then who makes the "best" barrel. </div></div>

Have to agree on that one!

I think you are on the right path of putting your parts together but some of the fun is to go out and learn about what is "best" (for you) and why and I would encourage you to do this. You will end up with a better understanding of accurate rifles, their components and the men that build them.

Barrels? All of the top names make a good barrel. Might want to check into the Bartlien T or I think Paul at Rock is going to run a group buy before to long. Also be thinking about contour, what is the use for your new rifle and how heavy is okay. If is a walk around hunter, I doubt you will want a #7.

I appreciate the heads up on the group buy.. that's what I'm looking for. I'll have to do some looking around at the different contours. First guess I'd say sendero or light/med palma contour, but that will require some research.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bottomgun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am having trouble finding information on the BAT VRPIC. If you have a good link, please provide.

Next part: Who provides the best barrel for the money? </div></div>

I'm not suggesting you use a BAT. They are very tight, but oh so very smooth. Seems I read that they will make them a little "looser" if you wish.

They be's spensive though
grin.gif
. What the hell you are still in the plannin' stage....

Try here: www.batmachine.com

I am new to this and trying to gather as much info/knowledge as possible. I will probably go with the RSR but there are still plenty of other decisions to be made.

I want a 22in barrel. Is there a site with a good explanation of what the barrel countour would look like at 22? I guess I can do the math, but I'm sure someone has built something more interactive.

I want a 22in barrel. Is there a site with a good explanation of what the barrel countour would look like at 22? I guess I can do the math, but I'm sure someone has built something more interactive.

Does anyone know the contour for the FN patrol med-heavy barrel?

Any inputs?