• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

To Camo or Not - That Is The Question

Viper1

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2013
Nothern Kentucky
Just a quick one guys, I shoot the rifle below. And this really is for you current or former field operators with combat experience, but does camo on a sniper rifle really affect the operational security of the shooter? Or is just the base colors, in my case black stock and non-reflective media blasted stainless, ok?

Any guidance would be appreciated. Or, do I have to put myself in harms way and let the guy hunting me tell me whether it's important.

As always, Many Thanks,
Rob
101_0003.jpg

Yes if it's being used as a sniper rifle, you bein camo'd up and havin a fuck off black and silver rifle kinda defeats the purpose right......

You don't have to go all crazy with it, my 40 in country was just rattle canned with the tan textured spray paint completely and it blended perfectly with the sand and mud huts over there

Jordan,

That, man, is just the kind of answer I needed. Thanks. Now just gotta figure out the best pattern for my area and how to do it, dip it (pretty but as far as I know there's no points for pretty) or spray can it myself with leaf and string shadows. The former is beaucoup money and the latter can look like shit, but,... see previous sentence.

bward,
One never knows, does one. But, really just a figure of speech.

Last edited:
leaves and string work, or there's my personal favorite of combining 2 different sizes of fishnet stockings ;) always get some funny looks going through the check out at walmart though haha

2012-04-05_17-41-08_911.jpg

2012-06-13_16-56-27_931.jpg

Here is an AR I did recently.

Core15PaintJob1small_zps0bf383fc.jpg

Core15PaintJob2small_zps9d8ca2f6.jpg

Basically tan undercoat, then large green stripes sort of at random. Then sponged on Brown/black and bit of tan over those green stripes while sponging in some green/brown/black/tan on the tan sections. I really like the depth it has and seems like it'll work under quite a few environments.

Of course it's Krylon so if I get tired of it, it's very easy to change.

Charlie

Viper1
Yes, rifle camo matters. Operator/gear have to become one with landscape.
If one can see you, or gear; you are dead.
Purchase Sniper manual for more instructions.
Good shooting.
Ombre noire

Great stuff Guys,

Charlie: Particularly like your camo. For our very similar foliage and summer/winter background patterns (deadfall, lots of scrub brush) which make up great hides (how I hunt, ground blinds from found stuff) however, I may sub a very light green for the tan. Anyway Charlie, it's a fine recipe for a gun camo, thanks a bunch.

Ombre, All your comments are well taken. Thanks.

Now, any tips on how to paint the scope without screwing up the turret marks?

Thanks Again,
Viper1

Last edited:
My recently Duracoated 700 AAC-SD in FDE and Coyote Brown. I replaced the stock with a black McMillan that I knew I was painting. Thought long and hard about painting the rifle and scope and decided to to go for it...very pleased with the results.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Viper1
Look into Camo Form, good for temporary camo, as well as keeping "stuff" from making noise.
Comes in different colors.
Ombre noire