• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ResEvl

Private
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2023
Phoenix
So I got(Won) a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor. I figured it was the perfect way to start training long range precision. I was looking at the Sharps Brothers Heatseeker chassis to improve repeatability. However after zeroing my scope I fired a 3 rou d confirmation group (rushed), with a .62" spread.
I'm wondering now if it is even going to be worth the money to upgrade to a chassis?

if you want to shoot PRS type stuff then a new chassis/stock would be a big upgrade (i wouldnt start upgrades with a ruger american though)

but for general prone/bench shooting i wouldn't bother getting a chassis that costs as much as the gun

Does it shoot 2/3’s MOA consistently or just that one confirmation group?
That is something I need to confirm. It seams consistent sub 1 moa at 100 yards (shooting small objects like quarters.) but thats the only group I've been able to measure.

I have a Ruger American Predator in .243 Win mine absolutely shoots good enough for PRS. I'm wavering between telling you, You will never recoup any of the cost... or... the fact if you build a full or semi custom will likely lose more than the price of an Oryx chassis.

Personally I wouldn't do it, I've thought about it enough. The only reason mine stays around is for a backup deer rifle and it does shoot so darn good. I know if I sell it I will have to build a dasher or something.

I did put a Kydex cheek riser on it. You could probably attach an arca rail to the factory stock and maybe epoxy on a vertical grip from a Tikka just to give it better ergo's

Leave it alone until you shoot it enough to know you want a new stock.

Unless you just want it to look kewl. Id go with the mdt xrs over that more expensive one you linked that sticks you with ar15 hardware.

I’m not sure you need a chassis if you’re only shooting prone or off a bench?

As long as your rifle consistently shoots sub moa you can learn your dope and wind reading.

There's nothing wrong with practicing with your rifle. I wouldn't worry about upgrading it. When you feel like you're ready to really up your game, buy a custom Remington 700 type action. This will give you the most options down the road. Some can be had for very reasonable prices.

Chassis is more than about groups. It can add a lot of features like
Arca rails
Attachment Points (this give like infinite options)
Adjustability

It can be a quality of life improvement. I can say I love my vertical grips now, having adjustable LOP is great when sometimes its below freezing (heavy coat) and sometimes its 100 (t-shirt). Slip Bipods on an off. Use the Tripod. Add this doo-hickey, swap out that thing-a-ma-jog.
Kinda turns your rifle into Barbie for men.

The also can look pretty boss too...
And no one says you gotta drop big coin. KRG Bravo sits on more than 1 of my rifles. Worth every penny ($500 IIRC).

Reactions: jb0311