• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing to chop or not to chop

killnu

Private
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2008
northern va
ive been wanting to do a short rifle for a while now with the possiblitly of a can, i just had an epihany i have a stainless 308 barrel for my encore that i used to shoot the daylights out of and it shot great and my reciever is tricked with bellm parts so im thinkin about choppin it down to 16.5"

i know its not a bolt gun but has anybody ever cut down an encore dont know what the twist rate is so lookin for advice

just lookin for a handy truck gun for foxes an yotes max yardage 450-500
i know itll do it in stock length its proved that but what you think the end result will be at 16.5" im thinkin handy lol

Re: to chop or not to chop

i have an encore with a mgm .308 match barrel at 18 inches...ill put that little gun against any bolt gun any day...its a stone shooter its about all i carry hunting..its short relativly light(still has a full bull barrel...lol)
jonathan

if you have a bore brush and a yard stick you can find the twist!
make a line the length of cleaning rod insert brush and mark the position of the line say 12 o clock and make a cross mark on the rod at the muzzle.
push the brush in until the line again is at 12 o clock and make another cross mark on the rod.
remove the rod and mesure from the first to the second mark if they are 10" apart you got 1 in 10 or 14" then 1 in 14.....

ok thanks for the info but im really lookingto see if the 16.5 in setup will accomplish my needs accuracy to 500 Yds

im positive of the accuracy level already i dropped a starling at 473 with it last summer

just want to know if the short length will work as i have couple other long guns and dont mind clippin this one