• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

To clean or not to clean....that is the question....

It was interesting but not really definitive. From what I saw it was about what I was expecting, every rifle (barrel) is different and will react differently. However there is one thing that can not be disputed: at some point EVERY barrel will need to be cleaned. It will show up when accuracy drops off and can only be brought back by cleaning.

I for one strongly disagree with anyone who says you have to clean often to achieve top accuracy. IMO that is a concept based on misinformation, and just because that is how it is done.

There are high level shooters that clean every 20 rounds......, there are high level shooters that never clean..... who to trust?

Personally, my guns shoot really well and I almost never clean my barrels.....the tests I’ve done where I did clean them, they didn’t perform any better for me.

I figure I’m more apt to fuck up the bore by over cleaning than under cleaning....... and I notice no benefit to cleaning them.... so why do it?

Reactions: jbell
So what about the dreaded carbon ring? I have noticed my groups open up after about 400 rounds and has come back after cleaning the chamber and bore. How do you not experience it without cleaning frequently?

So what about the dreaded carbon ring? I have noticed my groups open up after about 400 rounds and has come back after cleaning the chamber and bore. How do you not experience it without cleaning frequently?

I think most people just mean they don't clean the whole length of the barrel frequently. In some instances a chamber cleaning may be necessary but sometimes that just after a quick inspection. I am one that also doesn't clean until accuracy drops off and that varies rifle by rifle. I have a CZ 455 Varmint and I have never cleaned the barrel as long as I have owned it (aside from when I brought it home). Granted, it doesn't see the same round count as some of my other rimfires, but accuracy is so phenomenal that I don't bother touching the barrel.

Apparently this is one of those variables which has only limited impact on accuracy. Why? Because there are some great shooters who don't clean them often and other who do. In my case, I clean mine almost every outing. I do this very carefully using a poly coated rod and brass jags using only wet/dry patches. It only takes two wet and two dry patches and then one oiled patch to do the job. Accuracy suffers for about 5-10 shots depending on the rifle but settles down quickly. The hunting 22's get less frequent cleaning because I re-season the clean bbl and then check zero with the ammo of choice and leave it alone until season is over.

Irish

I think the clean/don't clean the barrel should be dependent on the barrel. Let's say you have a basic 22 rifle that took 50+ rounds before it reached it's maximum potential. That one would probably fall into the no clean until accuracy drops category. I'm revising a 10/22 that I put a Feddersen barrel on and rounds 11-16 were the best I've ever shot with a 22. This barrel falls into the clean often group. After all if it shot that well new (and clean) from the factory, it aught to keep shooting well after being cleaned... assuming that I don't damage the crown.