• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

To Close For Comfort? Neck Tension

4Rail_Gunner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2006
Stephenville, Texas
Shot 7 or 8 rounds of Lapua 243 Brass Through my 260 Yesterday.

Loaded Neck Diameter is .293

Fired Case is .294

.001 Neck Expansion

To close for comfort?
I shoot Rem Brass Anyways, just had some Lapua's from my previous barrel.
Sounds like a good Canidate for some turned neck brass if i want to use Lapua Brass.

Re: To Close For Comfort? Neck Tension

Sounds pretty good to me. Little brothers 243 does about the same unless it's a very hot load and it shoots very good. That's why people buy the tight chambered rifles to get a custom fit. It's all you can do to push a bullet in a fired case on his unless it was a near max load. Curious as to what others think. If I did turn them it wouldn't be more than a couple thousandths.

Can you push a bullet into the fired case with little problem? Some lots of brass have more spring back than others and you may actually have more clearance than you think. To be on the safe side you should call your smith and ask him what the neck measurement on the reamer he used to chamber you rifle.

David

Yea I would guess that you have more expansion then .001. You have to remember that the brass contracts in the chamber. I would guess as part of the cooling off process in the chamber.

I know it's not the same but hear are the spec's of my 6.5x47

neck o.d. with loaded 139/140gr bullet = .290
neck o.d. after 1st shot = .292
reamer was .293 neck