• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing To deep throat or not to deep throat....

chain

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2008
MI USA
Getting a rebarrel done on the trusty old 300 win, the smith resides here, Benchmark barrel 1-10" 26". It shoots 210 Bergers jammed in the lands well now. I load longer than the magazine box ( it has been extended) will accept. Should I standard throat the barrel? Go deeper? Thoughts? Thanks Guys

Re: To deep throat or not to deep throat....

I don't know how to respond to your thread title!

Throat appears to be the thought of the day.

You're starting with a new barrel ? Why not set it up so you can run mag feedable hand loads ? Dbm is an expensive upgrade if it's just for looks. (imo)

In my expirience a deep throat is needed...for me anyways...lol

According to UCMJ, i'm suppose to say no...

The guy that is doing my work is probably laughing his ass off. I guess I should have said deep chamber or standard chamber?

I want to load teh 208s super long in '06 (3.515) so I mocked up a cartridge sans powder and primer and sent it in to PTG and said "build a reamer that will put this cartridge .015" off the lands". That is the way to go IMO if you want a chamber tailored to one bullet, especially one that is longer than most.