• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

To hook the butt or not

GasLight

That Guy
Banned !
Minuteman
Hey, just wondering what the concensus is on butthooks on rifle stocks. I had a McMillan A5 previously, but never really used the butthook at all. I only shot the stock prone so not sure if there is a better scenario where it would come in handy? Anyway, I am now torn on the Manners T2 or T4, so any input would be awesome...

DD

Re: To hook the butt or not

I use the butt hook on my Light Tactical quite frequently. My bean bag gets used if I'm shooting in a prepaired position (range time) and the 'hook gets used if I'm shooting from a rough position in the dirt/snow. One less thing to carry, and it's pretty damned steady when it comes right down to it. It's all personal choice of course...

Hey Dave, I run butt hooks and think they work well. 90% of my shooting is prone. I try to avoid shooting from sticks.Anyway to me the benefit of the hook is snugging or pulling the rifle in tight so i can see the point of impact. i feel it gives me more control of the rifle. just my 2 cents.

you will like the manners stock. great product!

I'm real happy with, and use regularly, the hook on my MCS T1.... Has felt pretty natural from the get go and was my first butt hooked stock. Yeah, I like them! Thinking a GAT is in my short term future too though.....

Another place I think the butt hook helps is if you are shooting sitting/kneeling with a good front rest to be able to snug the rifle in tight. It can be done with a non-hook stock of course but it's a lot nicer with the hook

If the Hook wasnt hurting your shooting then get the one with the hook. You can always have it and not use it than not have it and want to try it.

My McMillan A-5 and my AICS 1.5 both have butt hooks and I use them when I shoot prone. My HS-Precision PST-025 does not so I ended up using the rear sling swivel and tight sling to create a butt hook.