• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

To Muzzle Break or To Not Muzzle Break?

manion

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2008
Hawaii
Gents,
I'm kinda in between a choice here...
I have a 300RUM and man does she kick.
Kinda like it, feels great cracking off a shot knowing whatever is down-range on the buisness end is hatin life even more. But I'll be honest and admit the recoil is most definitly effecting my accuracy. Instead of the fundamentals what's going on in my mind while sighting in is, "Don't let the scope hit me in the brow!" "Don't let the scope hit me in the brow!"
I use the rifle for BOTH hunting AND to target shoot long range. (Both of which the 300RUM is great for)
I'd like to have a muzzle break put on so I can reach out farther and keep my groups tighter. But I don't know how much I'll regret having to wear ear pro while hunting.

Re: To Muzzle Break or To Not Muzzle Break?

Ear pro, in my experiences, has allowed me to drown out other random noises ( like wind or engine noise) and allows me to pick up a greater range of frequencies and sounds.

If you are concerned about not hearing a twig snap, look into the ear pro that enhances sound until it gets to a certain level and then acts like ear pro.

Wearing ear pro is better than developing a nice flinch in your shot cycle. Go with the break and you'll be A LOT happier.

I think you answered the ? yourself if you are thinking about the scope hitting you you need a brake. Get a thread protector and use it for hunting or carry a set of plugs with you. Or you could get a suppressor and have the best of woth worlds.

Heavy recoil has been known to detach the retina in eyes. The 300RUM is capable of such a task with out a brake. The only thing I’ve shot that kicked worse was a .338 Edge with 300 grain SMK’s. Both are bad ass in the recoil department.

I'd put a brake on it for sure, you can always get a threaded cap to use while hunting...

killoften,

In my 40 years of shooting experience; 10% will wince at anything that goes bang; 10% can shoot anything and never feel it. The other 80% of us have some type of recoil sensitivity.

I'm not a fan of brakes, and the damage they can do to your ears, and the ears of a shooting partner, so perhaps their are some low cost things you can try first:

PAST Mag Plus Recoil Shield is one for your shoulder, for about $30. Kick-EEZ recoil pad is another, far better than the recoil pads you get on most factory rifles. They also make a cheek pad for face slap. Or you can make your gun heavier by using a Recoil Reducer or lead in the stock.

Another thing is the 300 RUM might not be for you. A plain old 7mm Rem Mag will shoot nearly as flat as a RUM, and kick about 30% less. A plain olde 260 Rem with a 140 BT VLD, and it will shoot as flat as a 300 Win Mag using a 190 BT, and kick 50% less.

Bigger is not always better....YMMV,

Bob

I was in a similar situation a while back...I have a Remington 700 in 8mm Remington Magnum. Sporter barrel in a McMillan A5
I tried the PAST pads and they work, but I didn't stop looking. I installed a Badger FTE brake and now it kicks like my 22-250. Now a real pleasure to shoot and I could lose wearing the pad.

Before someone calls BS, I made a bushing to increase the barrel diameter so that the clamp on the brake works. Looks funny too.