• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

To muzzle or not to muzzle that is the question...

Vice

Private
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2008
DFW, Texas
I've got a Remmington 700 PSS in .300 wm that I use when I need to poke holes in something. I'm getting frustrated with target re-acquisition once a shot has been fired. Should I look into a muzzle brake for this issue or not? Who do you recommend for the work?

Re: To muzzle or not to muzzle that is the question...

I would get one, or a can.

any smith in here can put one on, I would just call around and check on turn around times.

Im sure someone local could probably be up to the task also

I like muzzle brakes for target rifles, they make shooting more pleasant and I've always got ear plugs or muffs (and sometimes both) on.

I don't like muzzle brakes for hunting, they are LOUD, hurt my ears and when hunting I don't feel the recoil enough to matter. Now yes re-acquisition takes a little longer, but for me it's worth it.

If I was going to get one, I'd talk to GAP, APA, RWS, Wnroscoe or Travis at R-Bros Gunsmithing. All members of this site.

Didn't GAP just say they were not taking any customer supplied work until early August?

I had GAP put a Badger Thruster on my .300 Win Mag almost 4 weeks ago. I sent the weapon to Walter Birdsong to get coated; I'll know if I like it or not in about 90 days.

I'm thinking re-acquisition should not be that much of a problem if your technique and follow through are correct. However, muzzle breaks can and do improve it.

Just get it done right, so it is easy to remove, has a fitted threaded cap when not in use, and can also accept a supressor from a company you could see yourself buying one from in the future (or a highly favored can that a buyer would consider, thinking re-sale...). I went with the Badger FTE and was going with an SAS can (priorities shifted short term, will replace!).... Then your set for any/all configurations....

i say doer....300wm isnt a light round. I'm even thinking of a FTE for my .308 but i'm not sure yet. I need a lot more done and a lot more practice w/ it before i get that far. If I was running or building a platform above a .308, and felt the need to see hits and quick followups, then definately yeah.
Personally, i'm just interested in seeing hits because I shoot alone a lot.

Def. do it, I have the same stick, I love the round just can't stand shooting it for more than 20-30 rounds in a day tops. And even then it leaves my shoulder purple. I didn't put a brake on it but a good brake will make it easy to shoot. Badger FTE is solid, same as the SAKO TRG brakes, Patriot Arms makes a good one too.

Just make sure you have proper ear protection, I would double up.

The more recoil that a caliber creates the more effective an efficient brake will be. The .300 WM definitely falls in that caliber category. Not only do you benefit from quicker target re-aquisition, but you can also spot your own shots for corrections.
Spotting your own shots (if your background allows you to) can also be vital when you do not have a team member. It will also improve your groups especially for recoil sensitive people (you will not be anticipating the trigger release and recoil). Make sure that you get a good smith that knows what he is doing so that the installation does not detract from the accuracy of your rifle.

On the noise issue, you might check into your local ranges and see if they have an problem with them. I know of at least two well controlled ranges that have policies against brakes on larger calibers due to the noise for other shooters and I've heard it's becoming more and more of an issue. So if you shoot at a lot of controlled public ranges it might be a good idea to get one that's easily removable.

Target acquisition..yes

Hunting get a thread protector cap and remove.