• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

To Paint or Not To Paint...

TXBRASS

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2009
Shiner, TEXAS
Got my baby back from GAP.....Told him just to beadblast the barrel and put whatever AICS 1.5 he had on it because I was going to krylon it anyway......Got it back and there is just something about the OD green, matte SS barrel and black accents that does it for me......for the first time in my life having pre-krylon jitters.......NEED INPUT!!!

rifle1.JPG

Re: To Paint or Not To Paint...

Paint. I'd leave the bolt & mag black though. Maybe even the whole action too. If you left the action I'd leave the base & rings black as well.

What part of TX are you shooting in/what colors would you use?

Nice rifle

Unless your going to use it for hunting or work, I wouldn't touch it. That thing looks sooooo sweeeet! Love me the O.D. Green, I do.

-Pat

paint it all messy with some netting... make it unique brother

I would do a coat of duracoat on the barrel and leave the rest alone. The gun is nice as is and somtimes when we do too much we regret the simple yet perfect look it had before. Your call but your right the gun looks good!

Make it a nice pink camo...

It is my personal weapon but I am the designated marksman for my PD so it is work as well.....not that urban concealment is the same as in the field, but it will be used for both pleasure and work....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: He Shoot Me</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unless your going to use it for hunting or work, I wouldn't touch it. That thing looks sooooo sweeeet! Love me the O.D. Green, I do.

-Pat </div></div>

+1 for not painting it, It looks great like it sits.

If it's a work gun give it a nice coat of tan and keep a couple cans of Krylon in the ready bag. Then you can make it "tactical" for the situation as it demands, rather than just "tacticool" for the internet.

.02 for the pot

Cheers,

Doc

I think the key to Kryloning your rifle is alcohol. Have a couple of beers to get your nerve up and just hit it.

Thanks. The Savage didn't come out to good IMO, I'm gonna respray it one day. I'm just waiting on a scope that will stay on it...

but I am the designated marksman for my PD

if you are actually going to use it also for work, you best check with the Dept. for their policies. The media would have a "field day" catching video of you returning back to your vehicle dressed in your black ops swat type uniform and a camo'ed weapon. You would be very popular in the media. But I doubt it would a positive spin.
Just thinking out loud.
for what it's worth

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TXBRASS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is my personal weapon </div></div>

Do what it what you wish... If they want it different, they are free to provide you with one of their liking...

Paint it!! You can always get it to look like that again with enough break parts cleaner....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ericf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The media would have a "field day" catching video of you returning back to your vehicle dressed in your black ops swat type uniform and a camo'ed weapon........ </div></div>

Why? Because the clash? Why would anyone care if a rifle was camo or black or green? They lock in on the long guns because the look "different" than what patrol or the entry team are carrying. NOT because of the color.

My take is that if you need to conceal it, then spray-bomb it. If you aren't going to be creeping with it, then leave it alone.

Follow your department policy. However if your policy forbids painting a LE Sniper rifle, then you need to demonstrate to them what the benefits are. That is as simple as a field concealment exercise.

BTW, if you choose your colors correctly it will make the rifle harder to spot in the brush OR the concrete.

Just something to consider is that a plain bead blasted barrel will rust much much easier... Ask me how I know... Im painting my 5R today.

CeraKote the barreled action, base, rings and scope OD !!!!
Check out Para Bellum refinishing

On any rifle that I intend to keep, I go ahead and camo it. If its a maybe going to sell, I hold off.