• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

To QD or not to QD...

QPM

Private
Minuteman
Jul 5, 2023
TEXAS
Hi all. 2024 is going to be year of the predator. I got a Tikka T3x 22-50 and a Wraith Max 4k. I could use it during the day, but would prefer glass. I have a pst gen 2 5-25 that could serve this purpose, but would then get QD mounts for both (so maybe American Defense Manuf. and GG&G). How reliably do these return to zero when going on and off of the same gun?

Another part of the equation is that I just picked up a Franchi Momentum Elite Varmint on a great deal (sub $700) and could just bring two rifles with one for day and one for night. With a scope that Franchi is a bit heavy at 11 lbs 5 oz so I am on the bubble about keeping it around. However, the cost of the QD mounts would be close to $400 bucks... for that price I am probably better off just having two rigs as it is more than 1/2 of the cost of gun #2.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts
Q

I have used LaTue QD mounts on some of my gas guns & I have removed the glass to shoot with irons & then reattached the glass to shoot - there was zero issue or change in accuracy.

Reactions: QPM
QD mounts don’t return to zero nearly as good as a properly torqued quality one piece mount and they don’t hold as tight. Basically they suck.

Spend $100 on a fix it sticks all in one set that’s the size of a wallet and just keep it in your rifle bag or with your extra optic. You can swap optics in less than a minute and achieve proper torque and consistent RTZ.

Reactions: Birddog6424
QD mounts don’t return to zero nearly as good as a properly torqued quality one piece mount and they don’t hold as tight. Basically they suck.

Spend $100 on a fix it sticks all in one set that’s the size of a wallet and just keep it in your rifle bag or with your extra optic. You can swap optics in less than a minute and achieve proper torque and consistent RTZ.
Those fix it sticks look pretty freaking handy. I could just throw my fat wrench in the kit. Good idea.

Contrary to popular (mis) belief, QD mounts aren't really for swapping different rifles. They are generally used on the same rifle when there is a need to break the rifle down. For things like travel, packing, cleaning....etc.

Since many times, you'll need to adjust the tension slightly from rifle to rifle to fit individual rails. Once you do that, you have now taken as much or more time than just using a regular mount.

When changing from rifle to rifle, you are far better off using a normal mount with the appropriate tools as mentioned above.

Contrary to popular (mis) belief, QD mounts aren't really for swapping different rifles. They are generally used on the same rifle when there is a need to break the rifle down. For things like travel, packing, cleaning....etc.

Since many times, you'll need to adjust the tension slightly from rifle to rifle to fit individual rails. Once you do that, you have now taken as much or more time than just using a regular mount.

When changing from rifle to rifle, you are far better off using a normal mount with the appropriate tools as mentioned above.
Thank you Rio. Maybe I wasn't clear. The idea is to only have the 22-250 use the mount for glass during the day and the Sightmark at night... so two scopes switching but on one rifle.

I found my bobro mounts to be pretty good for zero return if you don't want to have to use tools. That said, these guys are right, a quality mount torqued the same each time is ridiculously good returning to zero within any range you'd care about for that type of rig IME

Thank you Rio. Maybe I wasn't clear. The idea is to only have the 22-250 use the mount for glass during the day and the Sightmark at night... so two scopes switching but on one rifle.

I'd still use a regular mount. There's almost no reason for most people to use QD.

Reactions: QPM
bobro has the best rtz in tests i have read online. i have had good results with a dual lever mount from them.

Reactions: simonp
Say no to QD. No reason for them. People get way too hung up on "return to zero". Who swaps scopes and doesn't check their zero? No one. And if you can't check zero then leave the scope on the rifle. Use a good mount and torque it on properly.

Say no to QD. No reason for them. People get way too hung up on "return to zero". Who swaps scopes and doesn't check their zero? No one. And if you can't check zero then leave the scope on the rifle. Use a good mount and torque it on properly.

I’ve gotten to the point where I trust it. I’ve been swapping a few scopes around between several rifles recently and I’ve got the zero changes written down and they’ve all been dead nuts. I never really shared optics before but have taken them off and remounted and I can’t remember having to make an adjustment with a quality mount.

The key is consistent mounting. I make sure the rails are 100% free of debris by wiping them with a microfiber and then put them in the same place on each rifle and torque them the same.

Reactions: Rob01
I’ve been using ADM QD mounts for years, and have been very satisfied. I like to remove optics for cleaning the rifle, especially gas guns. But I normally put the same optic back on the rifle I removed it from. No change in zero.

If you swap a scope to a different rifle, yea you’ll have to re-zero.

I have to agree that a properly torqued ring set is best. But I’ve been happy with the QD mounts I’ve used. YMMV

Reactions: SPRword
I also have an American Defence QD mount on my 6.5 gasser. And I used to own a Larue QD that chewed up my rail.. I like the ADM, but won't buy another. There's rarely a need for QD unless you're a sniper in a Hollywood movie trying to impress the people that don't know any better.

For what you are looking for any fixed mount wil work.

The QD mount, not all are equal, has its place. I have used the LaRue for years and it is rock solid. It has no springs and locks up better than any other one. The reason I have used a QD mount, and still do for some applications is to get it off I a hurry if need be. When I had a Short Dot in my LaRue mount i wanted the option to pull it off fast if there was an issue so Ii could use irons. This was in Afghanistan and Iraq.
Now people will say to have a Reflex sit offset of something....... that is all good if it doesn't get messed up. I know 3 people that have had their optics shot..... one was a ACOG with a piggyback Dr sight..... both optics were inoperable.

For static range work there is no need for QD. For real work, there is.