• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

To Rangefind with or without Ballistics?

MDof2

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2020
Magatopia
Is there a thought process I'm missing on rangefinding with or without the AB ballistics app in a rangefinder?
I'm looking for a new rangefinder (upgrading from a Leupold RX-1000TBR that I've used a shitton with great success in hunting and general use around / outdoors, etc.) and came across the Bushnell 1800 with the ABN solver in it. I've also got an AB Kestrel which I use regularly for matches, shooting, hunting, etc.

Am I adding any value in a rangefinder with the AB solver built in or am I adding complexity to what I already have and use / know / comfortable with?
Trying to look outside the little box I'm in now, exploring options, and others input.

Do you use a rangefinder with a ballistics app built in? Do you then confirm or also use a Kestrel with the range data from the rangefinder to compare?

Appreciate any input.

It’s a connivence factor. It’s not a necessity to see the ballistics in a range finder for 99.9% of the folks on here. That .1% that might “NEED” it are hunters and the likes.

Rangefinder isn’t going to calculate wind/atmospherics for you. The solver will dope your drop out to its max distance, I think ab lite is 800yd. Still going to have to come up with a wind call, a kestrel will still make that easier for you.

Rangefinder isn’t going to calculate wind/atmospherics for you. The solver will dope your drop out to its max distance, I think ab lite is 800yd. Still going to have to come up with a wind call, a kestrel will still make that easier for you.
That's a very good point on enviro variables. Without it, half the math needed. The 1800 however does pair with LINK enabled Kestrel's to get enviro data. But yes, if not, then it's still a two or three step process. I guess this is the same for binos as well maybe?
Again, sorting my way through this to understand it.

In Alaska, with mountain and river valleys making things appear deceptively near or far, I like having a pair of lrf binoculars with AB software built in so that at least the range, even ballistically corrected range, is given. Like others have said, you still need to make the wind call correctly, but at least you are half way to a good firing solution. .02 cents

I guess I'm also trying to draw the line in my head of a) too much information, ii) not enough information, and 3) GIGO information and what tools to get there.

That's a very good point on enviro variables. Without it, half the math needed. The 1800 however does pair with LINK enabled Kestrel's to get enviro data. But yes, if not, then it's still a two or three step process. I guess this is the same for binos as well maybe?
Again, sorting my way through this to understand it.
In my opinion the bolded part is what makes these types of products shine. I can leave my Kestrel on a tripod vane mount a few feet away, then range and get the ballistics solution in another device (device being Rangefinder with AB in this case). The downside is, not very mobile and the set up process is slightly longer (tripod/weather vane mount vs holding it in your hand and pointing into direction of wind). Good for shooting from a fixed position but not necessarily if you're constantly on the move.

Basically rangefinder with AB with load data saved onto it, link it to Kestrel, range target, and the firing solution will be shown in the rangefinder itself. No need to touch phone/tablet/device or Kestrel (once setup).

Last edited:
Reactions: MDof2 and Ronin_64
I've been happy with my Nitro 1800, and documented a lot of my early field testing with it in another thread. Mine has the full AB Elite software upgrade on board that I can set up as a backup, but I just run it paired to my 5700 when needed. Since I also have a Kestrel Heads Up Display, it';s got the bonus of letting me feed data from the LRF straight into the HUD as well.

Reactions: MDof2