• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

To rebarrel my m48 or not?

Libilaw

Private
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2012
Utah
after 3000+ rounds of hot, corrosive turkish 8mm my barrel is toast! I want to rebarrel the rifle to a 6.5X55 swede so i can get more life out of it. I was looking at ITD custom and it looks like it will be 350 to do so with a douglas custom barrel. Is this a good deal? I was also wondering what my accuracy potential would be with this combo?

Re: To rebarrel my m48 or not?

I would take a step back and evaluate your needs and goal for the rifle. The 6.5x55 is an awesome cartridge and the Swede Mausers are nice as well.

The Yugo M48 is a robust action and they are pretty darn accurate for a milsurp.

The thing is if you plan to make a custom target/ shooter, there are other rifles that will get you there at much less the cost. Everyone who owns custom Mausers will tell you they can go from $350 to over $700 before you know it.

The M48 have limited aftermarket stocks, you will have to pay to d&t the receiver for a scope, the bolt is bent but not enough to clear a scope, etc etc

If you want something with the 98 receiver and 6.5x55, you can find or built a Twede. The Turk K.Kale receiver is large ring, that accepts a small ring shank. So if you can find a good 6.5 take-off or refurb bbl, you will have a nice military looking Mauser with all the good features.

Other than that, you can get into a Tikka in 6.5x55 for around $800.

If in the end you just love your M48 and you want to have it rebarreled, go for it. Just know that the return on investment will be most in your satisfaction, not monetary.

After thought: If you want a fun project, then you can pick up one of the 19.5" 7x57 FN22 bbls from Numrich http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=955300&catid=0

They cost under $50 and the bore is prestine. Add an XS scout mount and a Williams front ramp and peep and you will have a nice little scout rifle. A good smith should be able to fit the bbl to the action, just has to cut a recess for the extractor.

Are you going to do more than just a barrel? Mount a scoppe? different trigger? New Stock? If just re-barreling, then the sights will still limit accuracy. If you plan on doing the other work, then just buy a Howa 1500 and it is already done at a fraction of what it will take to do the M48. Also, the 6.5x55 is a nice round, but ther are better ones that the 98 action can handle. Some areas it is hard to find 6.5x55 ammo. That action is strong enough for .308

My first priority is to make this rifle into my elk/deer rifle, I love how robust the action and stock feel and how natural the gun feels to me. I was planing on putting a scout type scope setup on it and keeping the original stock. I like the idea of putting the 7x57 barrel on it! is it the same contour as the original barrel?

The barrel is military and has steps at 8 1/8" and 13 3/8",it is also shorter, so the end of the barrel would be just short of the bayonet lug. It should fit in the stock , but it will be too short. You could always look on GB and see if there is a stock that someone hacked already, or you could pick up a nice laminated stock from Boyds. Boyds makes stocks for 98's and 48's

The 7x57 is nice, as it shoots very flat and should feed perfect. Perfect for deer and speed goats.

How much will the shorter barrel affect the velocity of the 7x57? also what do you mean by the bore being prestine?

Well considering most of my 7x57's are carbines, the velocity change is negligible. Chuck Haws has about 20fps/inch at 7x57 speeds http://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_barrel.htm

My rifle, shooting 162 Amax clocks around 2450-2475 fps, that is 2159ftlbs of energy at the muzzle, about 2032@50 1911@100 1582@250. The max effective range is something between 400-500 if you have a scope. Max point blank range is a little over 225 with iron sights, zero'd at 50Y. The bullet only drops 4.4" at 200Y. Up to that point it is like a frickin laser 50 (0) 125(-0.3) 150 (-1.2) 175(-2.5) 200(-4.4)

As for prestine, this means the bore is like new.

Most carbines used in South America were manufactured in Germany or Other Eastern European countries. I read somewhere that these bbl's were used to convert longer rifles into carbines and these were left in storage somewhere for a long time. They had surface rust, so they were reconditioned to remove the rust. Numrich coated the bbls with what looks like cerakote or some spray and bake on finish. Other companies like SARCO have the bbls in the white.

To the prestine part, you will find that many South American 7x57 milsurps will have a shot out "sewer pipe" bbl, the 7mm round is .284 and these will slug out to .288 .289.

The Numrich bbl slugs out to .285, like a brand new bbl. On a milsurp that .001 is awsome. So when working loads it is much easier to find a sweet spot than some old shot out bbl.

Here is the thread of my scout, it is a VZ 12/33 action, Czech action from an El Salvadorion rifle, Numrich FN bbl, Boyds Stock, XS site, Williams ramp and Lyman peep. You can get the same stock from Boyds for the M48. I used an old Remington aluminum buttplate to reduce the lop and get the rifle under 40".

http://snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3228915