• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

To Rocksett or not to Rocksett

john300wsm

Private
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2023
OH
Hello all, long time lurker, first time poster! Love this site and you are all extremely smart folks, so I appreciate your generosity with your time and knowledge!

I'm building a couple of rifles to get into the PRS game. Picked up a nice barrel and a brake that is adjustable and timeable but also allows me to mount my DeadAir Sandman L - my question is, should I apply rocksett to help keep it in place after timing? It came with shims, so my thinking was... if I want to do it right, I'm not going to want it to move on me after shooting so it might be absolutely worth it to rocksett.

Another question is, should I bother trying to torque it to a specific spec, or just snug it up and move on?

The brake is by sons of liberty Keymo brake/flash hider

See what the mfg recommends but you're going to want that thing torqued on pretty tight. If there's one thing that rivals the amount of pissed-off I get when I step in water wearing socks, it's a muzzle brake coming loose while still tightly inside a suppressor...

I personally don't use thread locker, just ample torque on greased threads. Lubricating the suppressor mounting threads on the outside of the brake helps too, but it will eventually cook off and carbon lock on if you don't maintain it. YMMV.

Reactions: john300wsm
See what the mfg recommends but you're going to want that thing torqued on pretty tight. If there's one thing that rivals the amount of pissed-off I get when I step in water wearing socks, it's a muzzle brake coming loose while still tightly inside a suppressor...

I personally don't use thread locker, just ample torque on greased threads. Lubricating the suppressor mounting threads on the outside of the brake helps too, but it will eventually cook off and carbon lock on if you don't maintain it. YMMV.
Oh wow you grease the barrel threads? I would have assumed that would lead to it working itself loose but I suppose if it's properly torqued, then that's not likely to happen

There are a lot of ways to make it work, and I'm sure you'll get no shortage of opinions here. That's what I do/have done and it works for me.

I Rocksett and torque. I do a dry fit first, and get my shims right, then remove everything, put some Rocksett on the threads inside the muzzle brake, put on my shims, and then screw the brake on, torque and time it.