• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

To scope cap or not to scope cap

desertsniper31

Private
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2017
Just looking to get opinions on scope caps; have used rifles downrange and in schools and never ran caps—not for any reason other than convenience. What’s your all’s opinions? Especially in a tactical setting.

I’ve busted cheap ones off, and I’ve busted expensive ones off at matches. I agree why they’re good and useful, but I’m done messing with them. The cheap ones break the first time you jam your rifle into a hole, and the expensive ones break the third time you do it. I am gonna be worried a bout the scope itself, not the cover which has now doubled the size of what you’re jamming into the hole...

I’d go with one like the rubber ones that come with NF. Sort of a hassle to carry it around, but it won’t be breaking off like flip ups.

I have them on hunting scopes, and I’d have them on a work rifle, but I won’t run them in a competition.

Those Aadland caps are nice, always hated the caps that just sit there and block your field of view

I would at least have somthing to protect the glass on your 1-3 thousand dollar scope.
Ive never had issues with flip up caps. But im also relatively gental with my rifle.

I always have used caps but on hunting rifles, haven’t done any of the type of shooting most here do

Butler Creek Scope Bikini or whatever those rubber cups joined together are called. I carry a couple in my pack as I lose one from time to time.

I really like the neoprene sleeves, protects the whole scope and can easily be removed and tossed aside. Bikini covers are tolerable but I much prefer the neoprene.

I dont like actual caps, things hanging off and sticking out always get caught on something for me even when theres nothing to catch on to it seems.

I have found repurposing bino rubber objective lens caps a cost effective means of protecting the lens and not as vulnerable to snapping. One drawback is when dangling if the whole ocular rotates on the eyepiece for magnification, then it does too as you rotate it. I use Optricon ones.

If you might ever need to shoot in rain you're going to need them.

Another guy using aadland in the field hunting and at the range haven’t had any problems with them yet.

I have always used Aadland but I also like the Tenebrax caps that came with my NF ATACR 7-35. They are a little less expensive than Aadland work almost as well

I am just running a UV filter from the camera shop screw into the ocular. Its great insurance and can be easily replaced.

I have some fancy vanity logo caps that came with a special edition scope.
Pain in the ass, always worry about breaking them.
I buy the cheap bikini style, some on hunting scopes are see through.
The neoprene style are nice but I don't think as protective of the glass, have one as well.

One less thing to worry about breaking .

If you shoot a lot, or you are a match shooter the reality is that you are going to break your scope caps; any brand at any price.

But, every time you have to clean your lenses, no matter how carefully, you are wearing down the lens coatings.

So my theory: Use the cheap ass Bulter Creek caps. Buy 3 sets to start with and just be OK with breaking them.

One advantage to the vortex defender caps is they fall under their VIP warranty. Break them and you will get a new pair.

Reactions: desertsniper31
Yep. I've had my defender caps replaced under warranty once so far. The new ones seem to be even better quality.

I am still trying to find some good covers for my Steiner Military 4-16x50.

I have Aadland, Tenebraex, and Vortex Defenders on my stuff, and I rank them in that order. ANY of these three will give good service though. Butler Creeks were good in their day, but are cheap and worthless now. I'm slowly switching everything to Aadlands, as I like how they open quickly/effortlessly (like Butler Creek), and flip all the way back against the scope. They also close up really tightly - so tightly in fact that they are a bit too stiff until you use them a few times.

Last edited:
I'm running the Vortex caps and I like them. I like the fact that they lay flat and don't obstruct and field of view.

Vortex Defender caps here...haven't found anything to not like about them.

VooDoo

Vortex Defenders work pretty well. The rubber piece that fits over the objective and ocular can be a bit loose. They can sort of peel off when you open the caps. I put some zip ties on them and they’ve been fine. They also fold 270 degrees to sit flat when opened.

I didn’t know they fell under the VIP Warranty. That’s a good deal. At $20 each they’re worth the price over Butler Creek and way cheaper than aadland.

Vortex Defenders. Mine have held up well w/ no complaints. The lens covers are a perishable item; kind of like the tires on your vehicle. It’s just the price of doing business so to speak.

Reactions: desertsniper31