• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

To talk or not to talk

HotIce

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2006
USA
This is old, and maybe it has been already discussed here, but it caught me by surprise as my natural behavior would have been exactly the contrary of what suggested here:

Law proof and Cops agree: NEVER talk to the Cops

I'd really like to know what Cops hanging out on SH think about this.

Re: To talk or not to talk

Been posted here before, but it is definately worth reviewing.

You should have seen the look on the Aurora, Colorado fuzz when I wouldn't talk to them, even casually. I didn't even state my name or acknowledge whether or not my license, insurance, and registration were all current. (You figure it out, detective).

I was getting a speeding ticket to help pay for their welfare addicts, so the cop got the silent treatment. (Secretary with a badge, shaking down those who work for those who don't).

Rather awkward, but the cop understood, and didn't seem offended. He knew that I knew my rights.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Side</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The saying "The truth shall set you free" comes to mind. Maybe Frank can start a new Forum section for all you members that have been wronged by the police. Seems to be a re-occurring topic around here. </div></div>

Gonna need a lot of bandwidth on that one.

Krav69 said:
(You figure it out, detective).

And hopefully that's not the response you get from a "secretary with a badge" when your home is burglarized/child abducted ect.

There is a wisdom to not saying anything to a cop but I think this is a bit extreme. Personally, I've always done just fine with the men in blue by just being friendly and saying, "hell yeah I know why: I was going 81mph." I even challenged a cop to arm wrestle me for the ticket, he laughed and I got a warning in what would have been a pretty large ticket. Just be cool, remember their just people too. I had a cop get all irate (lunatic) on me one time because I pulled over into a parking lot instead of the street. When he chilled the hell out I told him I didn't want to pull over on the street because he would have been exposed to passing traffic...guess what: warning and he was cool and nice when he came back with my info.

Well, it makes perfect sense when you think about it. If you are charged with a crime you didn't commit and you know you are innocent, there's nothing that needs to be said. The less time they bug and innocent person, the more time is spent to actually find the real person who committed the crime. As a tax payer, I am NOT paying cops to waste mine and everyone else's tax paying money interviewing the wrong person, when the right person is getting farther and farther away.

Maser you are guilty of being an Idiot, see no tax payer wasted any money for that. What the hell do you pay taxes on anyways, F%^king hampsters and ass lube.

I never talk to law enforcement outside of friendly conversations. Of course, I don't break the law either. Maybe there's something to be said about that.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rVnplh7gnlU"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rVnplh7gnlU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

That has always been my approach too. Friendly and sincere.
But maybe the above refers to things which are a little more serious than speeding or parking tickets.
I know that if I were a Cop, it would trigger a few question marks, if someone would refuse to answer simple questions.

I always answer their questions,truthfully and politely.Acting like a solid citizen is usually better than acting like a thug.They are people too,and just doing their job.The ones that I know are good guys. Pete

I am a cop. If I were being questioned as a suspect in a criminal investigation I wouldn't open my mouth without the presence of a lawyer. I say this not because I don't trust cops, I say it because I don't trust lawyers. Lawyers are the ones who will be using (twisting) your statements to fit their needs. The only people I've met who recognize how devastating using one wrong word can be are lawyers and convicts (of which I'm neither) so I'll gladly pay a lawyer to assist me in not falling victim to the antics played out in the courtroom.

Cops don't charge people with crimes, lawyers do. The cops job is to gather information and provide it to a lawyer (prosecutor). I'll provide a statement but not without someone on my team who knows and understands all the rules of engagement first.

I have always heard that the police only try to collect evidence to convict, not search for the truth. Evidence can be spun to make an individual look guilty and if the prosecuter only has what he needs for his biased side the truth will never see light because he will spin his bias to the jury or the judge for a conviction whether through lies or manipulation of truth. Sitting on a bench when a friend was being court martialed this is what I saw from the Prosecution. The Defence had a hell of a time with their case but in the end proved the Soldier innocent. The prosecution didn't want the truth, they only wanted to record a conviction and only serched for evidence that would support their claim.
I call BS on the entire system so long as no one searches for the absolute truth in their job, police included because without truth, the entire system is corrupt.
Yes, this in only my opinion, and it is based on what I saw in the military in three different cases. All were found innocent and not because the prosectution looked for truth, but looked only for support of the claim of criminal activity

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The prosecution didn't want the truth, they only wanted to record a conviction and only serched for evidence that would support their claim.</div></div>

Truth, justice and the American way are things of the past. The "justice" system is nothing more than who can convince 12 people to vote for their side.

Actually, the cops really are looking only for the truth. Sorry some of you had bad experiences.

You should cooperate and can do so without compromising your rights. If, for instance, yoiu are involved in a shooting ; some thug just tried to take your money with a knife and you smoked him. You need to identify yourself, surrender your firearm (even the police involved in shootings surrender their weapon -- it's vital evidence) and tell them that the turd tried to rob you and you defended yourself. Then tell them that you will provide a written statement with the assistance of your attorney (who you should have already called) after he arrives.

It matters not how righteous the shooting was; the civil suit will turn your life around. And the fact that your attorney guided you through the statement will make the attorney suing you work a whole lot harder to try to show you as the bad guy.

Those cops would love it if you would just write a statement on the spot; they have other things to do and could wrap up their part of the investigation that much quicker. But they understand why you are waiting on counsel, and will not begrudge you that. Also, a trained homicide investigator will know that you will recall details two or three days after the fact that you will not recall immediately afterward; that holds true for everybody.

So don't refuse to cooperate, just don't write a statement until you have counsel available. The cop will understand. And don't believe that every cop you meet is just looking to convict the first person who comes along; that's just plain ridiculous.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Krav69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was getting a speeding ticket to help pay for their welfare addicts, so the cop got the silent treatment. (Secretary with a badge, shaking down those who work for those who don't).

Rather awkward, but the cop understood, and didn't seem offended. He knew that I knew my rights. </div></div>

So......were you pulled over for speeding? If so, then YOU were enabling him to pay for the welfare addicts.

As for the silent treatment....I wouldn't be offended either. Makes figuring out if you get a warning or a citation that much easier. You get what you give.

Folks, with the vast majority of us, we are given vast leeway with enforcement options. Me personally, I run a good amount of traffic, yet out of say 50 stops a month, I write 48 warnings, and 2 citations. Why? My purpose is NOT to "pay for the welfare addicts", but to enforce the traffic laws. Funny thing is, EVERY one who responded with "Yeah, I was speeding", they automatically get a warning. At least they have the honor to admit it. Rare these days.

I thought the first post was about traffic stops.If so,I would be polite and respectful.This has saved me from a few tickets over the years.If I were being questioned in connection with a criminal investigation,I would follow your advice,but I would still be polite and respectful to the officer. Pete

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SLINKY ERT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Krav69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was getting a speeding ticket to help pay for their welfare addicts, so the cop got the silent treatment. (Secretary with a badge, shaking down those who work for those who don't).

Rather awkward, but the cop understood, and didn't seem offended. He knew that I knew my rights. </div></div>

So......were you pulled over for speeding? If so, then YOU were enabling him to pay for the welfare addicts.

As for the silent treatment....I wouldn't be offended either. Makes figuring out if you get a warning or a citation that much easier. You get what you give.

Folks, with the vast majority of us, we are given vast leeway with enforcement options. Me personally, I run a good amount of traffic, yet out of say 50 stops a month, I write 48 warnings, and 2 citations. Why? My purpose is NOT to "pay for the welfare addicts", but to enforce the traffic laws. Funny thing is, EVERY one who responded with "Yeah, I was speeding", they automatically get a warning. At least they have the honor to admit it. Rare these days. </div></div>

+1 Slinky

It never ceases to amaze me the tough guy, hardcore, just plain ole confrontational stance that some take on a traffic stop. With me, you can pretty much commit anything short of vehicular manslaughter and as long as you admit it and are polite about it you'll get off with a warning.

Come off like I'M in the wrong for having the NERVE to stop you in the first place and I'm gonna put you under a microscope so that I can enforce the law to it's letter.

Most people understand this simple concept and it makes everyone's life a lot easier. There are those that think they're going to intimidate the cop out of writing a summons and the learn the hard way.

Discretion is one of the most powerful tools a cop can have.

That being said, anything more serious than a traffic violation, I wouldn't say much without a lawyer present if I were the subject of an investigation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So saying something like, "Bloody hammer? What bloody hammer, Officer?" may get me additional scrutiny? </div></div>

The look on the cop's face from that response after he simply queried you on your knowing of why you were stopped would be nothing short of entertaining.

Maser,

I would bet money you already have had contact with your local PD, and you are well on your way to registering on your birthday.
Keep it up champ!