• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

To those who Ride...

BALLISTIC

Jack of all Trades
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2002
Vinland
Keep an extra careful eye out. I was hit this evening on a freeway while traveling in the carpool lane by an SUV merging from the number one lane.

I was in the right side of the carpool lane, so as to maintain good visuals around me, and keep clear of the shit between the center divider and the carpool lane. Out of nowhere the vehicle to the immediate right and slightly ahead of me, the carpool lane was traveling 5-10MPH faster, overtook my lane while I was currently occupying the space.

I didn't even notice anything was happening until right before I was hit. I was looking further ahead, ~50 yards, and watching what the cars ahead of me were doing. The SUV hit me very hard, not a push or anything, I mean HARD. Hit me into the far side of the lane, and even though I did my best to stay upright I went down, and quick. After I was hit it wasn't more than 25-30 feet and I was down.

The bike dropped on it's left side, sent me rolling off into the center divider, and the bike spun 180°. I got to my feet to see the truck behind me had stopped and the driver was coming to check me out. I told him I was okay and he said he saw what happened. Within 30 seconds there were 6 other bikers on scene who stopped, and asked if I was okay, what happened, and if I know what the vehicle looked like. Red SUV is all I knew.

They said they were going to look for it, and they left. After I got my bike turned around and running I again entered the carpool lane, and attempted to find the car pulled over on the side of the freeway. No such luck, they probably used an off ramp.
mad.gif

I think my bike and myself are in pretty good shape for what happened, but I know we are both damaged more than it seems. I see an easy $2000 in damage to my bike, plus my Arai which lost a good chunk, though I don't remember hitting my head, and my ankle is killing me, and it hurts to walk.

Re: To those who Ride...

Glad you lived bro - most people around here have not been so lucky.

Stupid people not paying attention to bikes. Gas prices are up, Bikes are cheaper and more fun to ride.

Be safe out there.

I should get some insurance on my bike.

Glad your doing ok. Im an insurence adjustor and accident scene investigator. During the warmer months I handle motorcycles and quads mostly. I am amazed time after time how underinsured motorcyclists are. I dont care who your coverage is through but check your policy guys. If you dont have med pay add it and remember its about $10k a night at the hospital, and I would say about 70% of bikes are total losses in an accident if if you ditch it and all it does is slide on one side they are just too expensive to repair, oh and if you have a bike loaded with accesories and all chromed out make sure you have enough accesory coverage to cover what you added to the bike or your SOL in a crash.
Stay say guys

Glad your OK. I've had numerous close calls, but luckily no impacts. Always have to be on the defensive on the bike.

Exactly the reason I stay OUT of the HOV lane on my bike (unless its a 'barriered' lane). Too many jackasses who will jump in and out at will.

Glad you aint dead!

Glad you are doing well B! I feel you on this brother! I got me a nice still red reminder on my right knee as well as scuffs on the bike from that damn construction truck.

TO ALL THE REST OF YOU WHO DON'T RIDE:

We thank you for paying attention to your driving and NOT YOUR CELL PHONE. It's not that important as you all know. As with shooting safety, driving alo demands exact attention

dude that is terrible, at least you are ok.

Glad you're not busted up more and your scoot is still rideable. No way would I ride in a city bigger than about 20,000...too many inattentive jerkoffs doing things other than driving while behind the wheel.

Cell phones...worst invention of the 20th century as far as I'm concerned. At least 75% of my close calls while on the road in the last fifteen years have involved drivers with stupidphones plugged against the side of their frigging melons.

That sucks man. I hate hearing about these stories, especially right now when I'm taking my MSF course
eek.gif

You guys should come here to see what a jungle it is
smile.gif
. Your driving style and ethics is several hundred percent better than here when we travel to US were are all in awe as everyone sticks to speed limits, gives way, wide lanes no nervousness. Even in Germany (once considered top European country regarding driving ethos) you don't see such calm.

Bikers here are (besides quite a few nutcases who don't last long) endangered species as they are quite often killed by farmers (good roads are mostly rural) coming from fields and Sunday drivers not looking out for fast movers
smile.gif

glad to hear you made out ok enough,. still a shame it happened. Hope you heal up quick.

Glad you're OK!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BALLISTIC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was in the right side of the carpool lane </div></div>

This is almost like a political post but I always stick to the _left_ side of the carpool lane.

On the left, my headlight isn't shining right into the mirrors of the a-holes about to dart into the lane but I don't think they use the mirrors anyway. I like that I have a little more reaction time as they cut in and I feel that by being 8' away from the cars on the right I can 'pie' into the windows further and watch for hand movements. I've been all-season commuting daily on CA freeways for 12 years now and am getting pretty good at noticing the 'lane darters' before they try to kill me. Last time someone knocked me off my bike was 11 years ago... hope I'm not due!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That sucks man. I hate hearing about these stories, especially right now when I'm taking my MSF course
eek.gif
</div></div>

Wear good gear all the time, you _will_ crash at some point. Even if it's just a 0 mph tip over in a parking lot (not saying I did that two weeks ago trying to straddle walk my bike backwards into a down-hill gravel parking spot at the range....) you'll appreciate having your joints armored and something between you and the road other than your own skin.

Just glad you're still breathing man and able to post about it. Had my share of close calls but nothing like that yet. *knocks on wood*

Bummer about the wreck, Arai and the bike sounds like you luckily low-sided, if you're going to go down that's the way to do it (high-sides are the injury makers).

Sucks that it was a hit and run 'she' probably didn't even know she hit something until 'she' got home and even then probably chalked it up to parking lot scuffs. If you get back in the saddle I would really suggest spending some coin on a nice new loud exhaust 'cus 'loud bikes save lives'. Hope you're not too banged up. I have several full face helmets size large that I'll never be wearing again (stopped riding after 16 years when I had a kid) if you want/need one free (just pay shipping) let me know I have two that have been x-rayed and are good to go.

Man I'm glad you are OK!Get your self looked at ASAP!I had a bike accident caused by a trucker not paying attention in 09.I lost an arm and leg and they are still finding stuff messed up.We should be allowed to shoot dumbass drivers,thin out the stupid.

from one biker to another, thank GOD that you are alive to tell about it. i hope that the person that hit you does the right, and moral thing, and goes to the police about it...

and if they dont, may KARMA get them on the flip side!!!!

All that matters is that you are not seriously injured. I got rear ended a year ago by am SUV and my back is still feeling it. Still minor considering what could have happened.

Sharac, don't know where in the US you have been riding/driving but I bet you have not been in Texas. I'll take Europe traffic any day over these guys and gals out here.

Vegas, Death Valley, Cali, Miami, New Orleans and also various persons all in agreement that you guys are angels on the road compared to us
smile.gif
Also foreigners who come here say we're insane and that driving here is problematic at best.

I watch every car like a hawk, and move to the front of teh pack as quickly as possible to get out in between the packs of cars. When they slow or stop, I do my best to safgely get the heck out of the box again. I hate being boxed in by cars, especially since that asshat ran me down. Seems all too common these days. I wonder what would happen if we just started whooping ass on these idiots...maybe end up in jail, but I think it would send a pretty clear message

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sharac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also foreigners who come here say we're insane and that driving here is problematic at best.</div></div>
You must be talking about Slovenia in particular then. I don't agree that any of the places you mentioned compare to Northern Europe at all. Especially when it comes to respecting pedestrians. Southern Europe, well, that's another story.

Glad to hear you walked away from that. Any accident on a bike that you walk away from is a blessing!

... Be Safe!

I went to CHP today to report the accident and see if anyone called in. Nothing so far. On the way home I decided to stop by the shop and see where we stand. Over $5K already... Ouch.

Thanks for the offer High Binder, but Progressive is going to replace my Arai.

I went to my Chiropractor on Friday, and I am going back today, and hopefully I can get in to see a General Practitioner as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BALLISTIC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Thanks for the offer High Binder, but Progressive is going to replace my Arai.

</div></div>

No problem, can't beat a new Arai. $5K sounds like it might be on its way to being totaled.