• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

To thread...

evilcoon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 5, 2012
Farmington Hills, MI
Or not to thread?

After a long search I found a Anschutz 1712 Meister Grade and wanted to shoot it suppressed. What are your thoughts on threading this barrel?

Re: To thread...

Personally I wouldn't to that rifle, but I'm a bit conservative when it comes to altering high end rimfires. I have a Silencerco Sparrow SS pending at will get both of my CZ 452's and Nordic upper threaded. I won't be threading either of my Win 52's or Anz 64 because I don't want to risk degrading their accuracy by changing the barrel in any way. YMMV

I think I'd thread it but I can see having your reservations too. That's the reason my 40X isn't. It shoots so good I'm a little scared to mess with it. If you decide to, just make sure it's done by a reputable shop/smith.

Thank for all the input guys. I'm a shooter but more of a collector as we speak but this will all change in a few years. I love quality guns and would hate for the gun to lose any accuracy due to threading. As for resale, I honestly don't think I'll be selling this rifle. I also have the CZ 452 American that is threaded and I adore that rifle. My gunsmith has reworked the original trigger and it shoots so much better, however when I dropped a snap cap in the 1712 and pulled the 2nd stage for the first time, words cannot describe the feeling.

While were at it and if I decide to thread it, please give me the best options.

Thanks for the very informative post. This really wakes me up and makes me want to deep dig and find that right smith. I currently have the CZ 452 threaded with Sparrow Silencero and it's pretty quiet. I decided to mount my YHM 223 on the CZ and it even got crazy quiet. But back to the topic, when you mention accurate, I'm very happy with my CZ results but of course we always want something better
smile.gif

Just for the record I have yet to shoot the 1712 and it's going to be a while.

I'll post here if I decide to continue and show the results.

If you need a thread job give Russell at Scout Supply Company a call. He's a hide vendor and does great fast work.