• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Today's Big Fix.

LRI

Lance Criminal
Minuteman
  • Mar 14, 2010
    Sturgis, S. Dakota
    www.longriflesinc.com
    A friend/colleague once said, "You can't really ruin it. You just make more work for yourself."

Today that was put to the test. A phone call a week or two ago came in where one of our dealer accounts had run into an issue. He'd sent a job to another shop for a bolt release install on an M700. It didn't go well for that guy. Near as I can tell he either broke the drill or it wandered off location and made a mess. The "fix" was to slather up the goof with JB Weld and try again. While it worked, the owner just couldn't live with it.

So, we get the call.

Here is how we received it. Now, to the uneducated, this looks like a shit sammich. In reality, whoever did it handed me a big favor as the epoxy had already been gutted out and the channel makes for simple work with a TIG welder.

236714896_4179135228847870_5364228761993967869_n.jpg

So, that's where we start. Lay some hate with the TIG torch. The filler is a little more "blue" than I'd of liked, but it filled in well with no voids or cancer.

236086494_4179148762179850_1319518864325801909_n.jpg

Next is the handwork. I began with a double-cut bastard file, then moved to a single-cut mill file. Last was a few "swipes" across a square wheel grinder to blend.

235980763_4179173515510708_8709541787820039046_n.jpg

Now we load the part in our fixture and run it through the paces on the 5 axis. We had to get a little creative with the probing just because the program is written with the assumption that a virgin part is being loaded. Not a big deal to navigate around, but one has to be careful. There is a great deal of macro variable work taking place during the setup portion of these programs. "Fat Fingering" offsets is something I desperately try to avoid as it rarely goes well.

Fortunately this time it worked. We were able to recreate the register for the pinhole and drill it without issue. What I did fail to consider though is the position of the bolt stop in relation to the rear flat portion of the rear bridge. Our programs are written/vetted/archived so that they can be retrieved and run in a fully automated format. The shop that originally did the work positioned the stop slightly behind where we do it. I failed to catch that little detail and it resulted in us machining a little further forward than I'd of liked. As a result the bolt stop had a big/fat gap in front of it. That's just not going to work. Back to the welding table...

236633166_4179304102164316_7668711809492657358_n.jpg

When designing/making my work holding for blueprinting/bolt release installs I wanted to ensure the ability to remove/replace the fixturing with near-perfect repeatability. The lugged systems now being offered by tooling companies makes this a snap. It allows a person to remove/reinstall a fixture/vise, whatever with a great deal of confidence. Rather than remove the receiver body from the fixture, I just pulled the fixture from the riser block and went to the welding bench. Literally, 2 minutes later I had the front portion filled in and the whole setup was back in the machine. No need to chase down the offsets again. The system just repeats.

Very cool stuff and worth every penny.

236718833_4179313758830017_2390832839150672206_n.jpg

The program portion that machines the pocket gets run again and we're done. A few more minutes with the file/sander and it's almost like it never happened. There were a couple of little "nibs" along the edges of the pocket that I felt were better left unmolested as I feared they wouldn't clean up tangent to the outer circumference of our bolt stop. In the grand scheme, I think it's a pretty small inclusion that will be well hidden once the whole assembly is coated.

231746299_4179338582160868_5107093308936852732_n.jpg

In closing, It's easy to chastise whoever had a bad day with this job initially. Holding onto a rifle action in a manner that is traceable and repeatable isn't the easiest thing to do. The types of steel typically used for receivers machine beautifully so long as you have a very rigid setup and have good tooling. Overlook any one of these details and the wheels will fall off pretty quickly. It happens. . . My only criticism would be attempting to repair it with JB Weld. McGyver was a TV show meant to entertain. It was never intended as some sort of life quest.

Fortunately, I've attempted to kill my share of actions over the years. Being inherently stubborn lead me down the path of learning how to repair them. I have grown to kinda like jobs like this just because there aren't too many folks that'll even make the attempt.

-Always nice to keep an action out of the trash can.

C.

I forgot to include the vid clip yesterday.

Last edited:
    Really great work all the way around!! When I was selling CNC's it was sometimes difficult to get folks to see how a solid fixturing system & probe would pay for itself by saving time and keeping the spindle working.

@LongRifles Inc. I assume that this part of the receiver isn't stressed enough to worry about the changes in the heat affected zone?

Beautiful work and nice save!

Academic question… being that it is a relatively standard Remington action, is there a point at which the hours to repair outweigh the cost to simply replace it? Repair is beautiful and perfectly executed. But does it ultimately cost (you? The other gunsmith? The owner?) more than a new action?

Again, an academic question. I can totally see reasons to go with the repair… action is already trued and blueprinted. Can’t get another right now. Sentimental value. Wanted the challenge of doing it. All good reasons.

But at a certain point, your time has to be worth >$100 an hour for that kind of work. And a repair like that can easily eat half a day. Or more. What tips the decision to repair vs. say “dear customer… we are buying you a new action and starting over?” Just curious?

Again, thanks for posting. Beautiful work!

Sirhr

Cool stuff Mr Dixon!

Thanks for posting this, your threads like this have always been fun to read.

Looks like there will be a KMW Sentinel headed your way for some magic here shortly too!! :D

Beautiful work and nice save!

Academic question… being that it is a relatively standard Remington action, is there a point at which the hours to repair outweigh the cost to simply replace it? Repair is beautiful and perfectly executed. But does it ultimately cost (you? The other gunsmith? The owner?) more than a new action?

Again, an academic question. I can totally see reasons to go with the repair… action is already trued and blueprinted. Can’t get another right now. Sentimental value. Wanted the challenge of doing it. All good reasons.

But at a certain point, your time has to be worth >$100 an hour for that kind of work. And a repair like that can easily eat half a day. Or more. What tips the decision to repair vs. say “dear customer… we are buying you a new action and starting over?” Just curious?

Again, thanks for posting. Beautiful work!

Sirhr

The price for all of this was around $225 or so. I dont quite recall as Kalli (wife) handles all the money stuff. I think I might of had 45 minutes of time into this.

Considering that the owner has a barrel already fitted, a stock and its related fitting, I would lean towards this being a cost effective fix.

@LongRifles Inc. I assume that this part of the receiver isn't stressed enough to worry about the changes in the heat affected zone?

I would agree. The repair was on the ass end of the receiver and far enough away from anything that matters for it to not be an issue. I was able to handle the receiver with bare hands almost immediately after welding.

As a perspective:

Work on a CZ a few times and you realize that the only heat treated portion of the receiver is the lug abutments. They induction harden that feature and not much else.

Were more than safe with a repair like this.

The price for all of this was around $225 or so. I dont quite recall as Kalli (wife) handles all the money stuff. I think I might of had 45 minutes of time into this.

Considering that the owner has a barrel already fitted, a stock and its related fitting, I would lean towards this being a cost effective fix.
    That makes total sense... and as I was mainly looking for the justification... that makes total sense.

Also, shows that someone who has the tools, jigs, expertise, etc. can handle a job competently in a fraction of the time it would take many (most) others.

Again, thanks for sharing and please keep posting cool stuff like this! It is both an inspiration and a reminder that going to the varsity when you need help... is cheaper and better in the long run!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Reactions: powdahound76
    Damn. That seems cheap for this kind of fix.

Can you just coat that action like you would any other you have worked on Chad?
    Or does it take extra “stuff” with the welding and different removal?

Again, cool stuff.

Damn. That seems cheap for this kind of fix.

Can you just coat that action like you would any other you have worked on Chad?
    Or does it take extra “stuff” with the welding and different removal?

Again, cool stuff.

I prolly would avoid any chemical processes like blueing or parkerizing just because the change in chemistry/hardness along the weld will show itself.

Ceracoat would be my go to option here.

man that's incredible. my Smith is sending my bolt in for some work and I'm excited to know it's going to be in good hands. awesome job sir.

A friend/colleague once said, "You can't really ruin it. You just make more work for yourself."

Today that was put to the test. A phone call a week or two ago came in where one of our dealer accounts had run into an issue. He'd sent a job to another shop for a bolt release install on an M700. It didn't go well for that guy. Near as I can tell he either broke the drill or it wandered off location and made a mess. The "fix" was to slather up the goof with JB Weld and try again. While it worked, the owner just couldn't live with it.

So, we get the call.

Here is how we received it. Now, to the uneducated, this looks like a shit sammich. In reality, whoever did it handed me a big favor as the epoxy had already been gutted out and the channel makes for simple work with a TIG welder.

View attachment 7683191

So, that's where we start. Lay some hate with the TIG torch. The filler is a little more "blue" than I'd of liked, but it filled in well with no voids or cancer.

View attachment 7683193

Next is the handwork. I began with a double-cut bastard file, then moved to a single-cut mill file. Last was a few "swipes" across a square wheel grinder to blend.

View attachment 7683194

Now we load the part in our fixture and run it through the paces on the 5 axis. We had to get a little creative with the probing just because the program is written with the assumption that a virgin part is being loaded. Not a big deal to navigate around, but one has to be careful. There is a great deal of macro variable work taking place during the setup portion of these programs. "Fat Fingering" offsets is something I desperately try to avoid as it rarely goes well.

Fortunately this time it worked. We were able to recreate the register for the pinhole and drill it without issue. What I did fail to consider though is the position of the bolt stop in relation to the rear flat portion of the rear bridge. Our programs are written/vetted/archived so that they can be retrieved and run in a fully automated format. The shop that originally did the work positioned the stop slightly behind where we do it. I failed to catch that little detail and it resulted in us machining a little further forward than I'd of liked. As a result the bolt stop had a big/fat gap in front of it. That's just not going to work. Back to the welding table...

View attachment 7683195

When designing/making my work holding for blueprinting/bolt release installs I wanted to ensure the ability to remove/replace the fixturing with near-perfect repeatability. The lugged systems now being offered by tooling companies makes this a snap. It allows a person to remove/reinstall a fixture/vise, whatever with a great deal of confidence. Rather than remove the receiver body from the fixture, I just pulled the fixture from the riser block and went to the welding bench. Literally, 2 minutes later I had the front portion filled in and the whole setup was back in the machine. No need to chase down the offsets again. The system just repeats.

Very cool stuff and worth every penny.

View attachment 7683198

The program portion that machines the pocket gets run again and we're done. A few more minutes with the file/sander and it's almost like it never happened. There were a couple of little "nibs" along the edges of the pocket that I felt were better left unmolested as I feared they wouldn't clean up tangent to the outer circumference of our bolt stop. In the grand scheme, I think it's a pretty small inclusion that will be well hidden once the whole assembly is coated.

View attachment 7683199

In closing, It's easy to chastise whoever had a bad day with this job initially. Holding onto a rifle action in a manner that is traceable and repeatable isn't the easiest thing to do. The types of steel typically used for receivers machine beautifully so long as you have a very rigid setup and have good tooling. Overlook any one of these details and the wheels will fall off pretty quickly. It happens. . . My only criticism would be attempting to repair it with JB Weld. McGyver was a TV show meant to entertain. It was never intended as some sort of life quest.

Fortunately, I've attempted to kill my share of actions over the years. Being inherently stubborn lead me down the path of learning how to repair them. I have grown to kinda like jobs like this just because there aren't too many folks that'll even make the attempt.

-Always nice to keep an action out of the trash can.

C.

I forgot to include the vid clip yesterday.

Love your very detailed and clear posts regarding gun smithing in your shop. The pic of that one sort of honey comb fluted barrel was just awesome.

I have a 5R in .308 and next year I do believe I will send it to you to be trued and rebarreled.

Please keep the posts, pics, and vids coming.

Reactions: LRI